Road Cycling

Soldato
What did you order? [my memory is rubbish]

Scott Foil 20, it's a 2017 but it's never been out of the box. Specifically went looking for a 2017 as I don't like the 2018 colour options.

Just a pain really having to leave behind my power meter. Speed and cadence sensor also an issue, migration isn't possible as it's integrated into the frame on the Trek.

I'm not sure how my DT Swiss PR1400 oxic wheels are going to look on the Foil, hope they look ok otherwise they're going to have to find a new home. :(

Soldato
New bike incoming :)

Scott Foil 20, it's a 2017 but it's never been out of the box. Specifically went looking for a 2017 as I don't like the 2018 colour options.
Good choice, is that the purple and red one? Pictures online don't do it justice, in the flesh it looks superb! Or is it the Black & Red one? Looks even better IMO (but not seen one in the flesh), easier to match kit/tape/cages etc with.

Guy I know has an older Foil he had to warranty, then the replacement came in a cool Black Gloss/Matt combination I'd not really seen before. Not sure what year it was/is.

The OXIC should look ok. They're pretty dark wheels so should go with any dark colours. The only difference would be the Foil's mostly being gloss paint and the wheels are matt?

My current thinking is to use a Tacx trainer adaptor I have (as it's much longer/wider than my frame) and get a locking nut for the end so the adaptor had no chance of undoing.
Measured this Thru axle for length last night and it's not going to be enough. So I'm back to buying a specific adaptor (& the possible nightmare of matching the thread of my thru axle!). Annoying the options all seem very expensive for what they are! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Soldato
Guys what do you think to this wheelset?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mavic-Cosmic-Pro-Carbon-Exalith-Road-Wheels-2018_98701.htm
I'm looking to use them on my tri bike that I use for all occasions. Ironman races, sportives, training etc.
Don't want to go all out aero and equally don't want all out climbers wheels, but are these maybe just bad all round?

Not 'bad' wheels, certainly see lots of Cosmics around and have done for a long time, it's hard to tell which are Exalith (newest!)...

Although the generic Cosmic have been around a while, they have always been quite heavy for what they are and there are plenty of reasons why some people stay away from Mavic (twitchy in crosswinds, water/dust seals are not great, expensive bearings & specific tools required for maintenance etc).

Around that price point look at the - hunt-3650 carbon & easton EA90SL

Gloss black and gloss red Roady.

The only slight problem is that the DT Swiss wheels are more charcoal.
Pics? The one I linked?

You'll probably find they look fine, being more matt and slightly different colour they should stand out a little, in a good way! If they where gloss black and a slightly different shade of black or slightly different gloss then they might look a bit too odd/different.

Obviously they'll be travelling so fast nobody will notice! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Pics? The one I linked?

You'll probably find they look fine, being more matt and slightly different colour they should stand out a little, in a good way! If they where gloss black and a slightly different shade of black or slightly different gloss then they might look a bit too odd/different.

Obviously they'll be travelling so fast nobody will notice! ;)

The ones you linked to are both the same 2018.

Search for a 2017 in black and red and you'll have it.

Soldato
Looks good - needs some deeper section wheels though :)

Ideally I'll just throw my PR1400's on and they will look bang on. They're not deep section but they are aero, and stupendously light.

I really don't want to have to part with these wheels as a) I've only just bought them b) they're great wet or dry because of the coating and c) I just love them.

Soldato
I got a reminder how bad carbon rims can be last night.

1 mile from home and got a monster downpour, it hasn’t rained for over a month, brakes just don’t work, super nervous cornering on narrow tubulars!

Back
Top Bottom