Road Cycling

Soldato
Roady, cracked frame around the BB on the R5 fingers crossed it’s a warranty job.

P3 has an odd click when pedalling which I hope was the rattling pedal cleat I found at the weekend.

Soldato
One enjoyable thing about being a complete sweat station is after a nature break. Of course I've no idea after about 15 seconds where I'm unleashing because my eyes are now full of sweat and almost closed. But that feeling when you set off again and that breeze against sweat soaked skin, feels like being showered in ice... for about 6 seconds before you're just hot again :p

Flat 40m coffee run yesterday and still saw 4 750ml bottles down.

I don't find performing in the heat much of an issue but I'm staying hydrated and efforts aren't much in excess of 10 minutes.

Soldato
Long story extremely short...

I am signed up for Ironman Copenhagen on the 19/08/18, 4 days ago I was burned quite badly at work through no fault of my own and now I'm off sick, potentially needing skin grafts.
Looks like I'll be missing Ironman and seeing as I'm inside their 45 day deadline for deferral, likely I'm going to lose the £550 odd race entry.
Is this something I should be mentioning to work to see if they would cover the cost?
I'm not interested in suing them or even claiming for compo etc but the Ironman thing stings a bit.

What are your thoughts?

Edit- sorry I'm aware that this is of little relevance to the thread but I know you guys can likely relate to the situation... Not really sure who to ask for advice :/

Soldato
Blimey, that sounds horrible @NoNameNoNumber

If there's a negligence angle to this, which it sounds like it (somebody messed up or something went wrong), then I would be asking work to cover the loss of your race fee. Your employer would hopefully release that if you aren't going down the legal route, £550 isn't a lot of money...

Soldato
A great ride on Saturday: The 68 mile Wiggle Tempest starting in Warwick, taking another event KOM : https://www.strava.com/activities/1717079779

Improved aero number placement :)

41790288730_923f293e9d_b.jpg

42880703084_3caec8455b_b.jpg

Soldato
Went out yesterday afternoon just after 4 and it was baking hot! Dropped a jersey off I'd flogged and intended on doing a ~15 mile loop afterwards but it was so hot that even only 4-5 miles into it I'd drunk 90% of my 800ml bottle so sacked it off and headed home. Heading North-West the wind was like an oven, as soon as I turned South-West it was cooler. Too hot to be out putting some seated power efforts in! :o

I've got a ringpull from Redbull for a free months Premium if anyone wants it? Only 1 per acct and already done one on mine. Competitive pricing, just trust me! ;)

No pain no gain, Haydn... I went out yesterday just before 1700 in pretty much identical temps, thinking I would be doing a gentle ride, but within ~15mins of leaving decided to hammer it and set my best 20mins of power outdoors (~290W, during a ~33min power session averaging ~280W) during . ;) :p
www.strava.com/activities/1722691543

Had a decent power ride on Saturday morning too https://www.strava.com/activities/1716853439 , including a new best "hour of power" (~250W) on rolling cat4 terrain and a decent 5mins of power up the final bit of Harvesting Lane (~344W).

With a gentle ride on Friday and Sunday, all in all it was a good cycling weekend, despite the heat! Now have 3 bottle cages, but a bottle escaped yesterday and looks terminally damaged. :(

https://power-meter.cc/home is a decent free site for power analysis, been using it ~6 weeks now.

Edit: Just looked at last night's ride again and it was a new "hour of power" PB starting on the Cheriton incline, despite stopping on Telegraph descent when my bottle jumped out of the cage, ~252W. So that's two "HOP" PBs over the weekend! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just booked my first trip to the Alps - should be a fairly steady pace as going with another guy who hasn't been and we don't want to go smashy smashy on the first time. I think the longest climb I have previously done is Ditchling beacon - so this will be fun!

Soldato
I've just booked my first trip to the Alps - should be a fairly steady pace as going with another guy who hasn't been and we don't want to go smashy smashy on the first time. I think the longest climb I have previously done is Ditchling beacon - so this will be fun!

Which climbs are you planning on doing?

Soldato
These are currently the planned couple of days, after an initial warmup day around the lake.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28097083
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28097092
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28097103

But we're also thinking there is potential to sack one of them off and do Alpe d'huez

Regardless of what routes you do, enjoy! And give at least one of them a good effort, after you get an idea of pacing for a big mountain climb. ;)

I'm still trying to get my head around the practicalities and expense of riding anything bigger than a cat3 hill in Hampshire without a car! :p

Soldato
Roady sick, not roadie sick? :D

I'm on your level bud - running a gravel bike as a road bike! No shame in it, I let my legs do the talking and there's not many guys I ride with who can keep with me on the hills. An aero frame won't make much difference to you, aero and lighter wheels may. Although at your price point the only way to go carbon would be cheaper chinese import lottery (and on the cheaper end of carbon weight isn't really light). You might be better at looking around 'premium' alu wheelsets, Campag Zonda's/Hunt aero light etc. Although the won't be a huge amount lighter than what you're running, they'll be stiffer and 'feel' lighter/faster. Encouraging you to ride harder/faster, which is what you're after! If you also look for slightly wider internal rims (your PX ones are probably 17mm) you can also benefit from running wider tyres, with no speed loss.
Didnt realise you rode a gravel bike! That's heartening. To be honest, on whether to buy new wheels, I find myself (wait for it...) going round in circles.

I alternate between 1) being on the verge of buying and 2) deciding that I need to get out more before I can justify the outlay...

Soldato
Roady, cracked frame around the BB on the R5 fingers crossed it’s a warranty job.

P3 has an odd click when pedalling which I hope was the rattling pedal cleat I found at the weekend.

Changed pedals, clicking noise gone. Have to see if I can disassemble the others and find something broke. It isn’t the bearings, it’s the bit the cleat clips into.

Soldato
I had a wasp fly into my helmet today - I could feel it on my hair so stopped and released it. Luckily it didn't sting me.

Back
Top Bottom