Road Cycling

Soldato
Echo OMS points about L'Alpe, not that great a climb in difficulty or scenery compared to Glandon/Croix de Fer and especially the Galibier. The last half hour is just incredible and the descent down the other side is nice and wide so you can appreciate the views whilst still doing 40+ mph :D

Lacets De Montvernier is a nice climb, but only to go and sit on the cliff edge and look down.

uXn3VI6.jpg

Soldato
Took a few measurements the other day. Gym thread style bit of fun, interested how we stack up! Are you Hoy or Pantani? :p

Calves: 15.5”
Thighs: 23”

Weight: 81kg (not climber build!)

Soldato
Echo OMS points about L'Alpe, not that great a climb in difficulty or scenery compared to Glandon/Croix de Fer and especially the Galibier. The last half hour is just incredible and the descent down the other side is nice and wide so you can appreciate the views whilst still doing 40+ mph :D

Lacets De Montvernier is a nice climb, but only to go and sit on the cliff edge and look down.

That’s a good call actually. I’d park up in La Chambre and do a loop round there. If you continue up the Lacets de Montvernier you end up on the Col de Chaussy which is a really nice, quiet climb. Steep in parts but not too crazy. You can then descend down the other side and eventually reach a junction which is about 4km up the Col de la Madeleine. You can either turn right and do the climb or left back to La Chambre. Excluding the Madeleine it’s quite a short loop so you might as well pace yourself and do the extra climbing. :D

The Galibier descent is great except I switched off for a sec in the valley and rode into a shingley ditch at 40kph. Don’t do that. :p

Soldato
TCRN06 Day 1. Looks brutal but fantastic pace by local lad (James). Nails! The next day(s) through the Alps things get significantly harder! :o

Guy from Zwift (Derek) had a short first day to try and recover a sore knee but is now progressing.

Last years winner James Hayden is doing well, nearly in Innsbruck already!

One of my club mates (Richard Gate #161) is doing it this year. He's been coming on all the club rides with his fully loaded bike in preparation. Absolute nutter!

Soldato

uXn3VI6.jpg
40mph is dangerous

Soldato
Took a few measurements the other day. Gym thread style bit of fun, interested how we stack up! Are you Hoy or Pantani? :p

Calves: 14”
Thighs: 20”
5' 11"
Weight 74kg.

Managed to throw myself out tonight and met 3 others, 1 of which is pretty decent. The other two I've been taking to the bundy and don't really know the route AND there was a diversion due to roadworks so we kept it shorter and hit the braidwood climb. One of the guys was dropped before the turn off so me and the other guy sat up and waited for him to catch up before going up it.

Got a PB which I was pretty happy with being a sub 7 minutes but I feel I have more to give if I had someone to chase/follow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1740966320/segments/43629138975

What is the script with Mr Mendoza and Mr Jpaul? They seem awfully obtuse.

Soldato
Well first day of the commute with the little one in nursery for a full day yesterday. Basically means I'm riding with the other half in the mornings while she tows the baby^chariot, not riding home for lunch (half hour lunches so I can finish early), leaving work at 4, riding to nursery, picking mini^me up, packing him in chariot and then towing him home. Quite good fun as it's all very new riding towing the trailer, but damn is it different! So much torque required to maintain speed! The route back is along a drag (usually into a headwind) up Kings Acre and I was finding myself holding around 200W just to maintain 15mph @80rpm. Trailer is not meant to do more than 15mph so behaving myself with it...! ;)

Calves: 14”
Thighs: 20”
5' 11"
Weight 74kg.
Calves: 15.25"
Thighs: 24"
Weight: 76kg (I'm a Hoy! Stocky build, broad shoulders etc)
5' 8"

ha!

Just saying that those roads look very narrow and whindy with next to no barriers. Even driving 40-50mph would be a bit dangerous nevermind cycling!
He wasn't saying to ride down the included picture of switchbacks (Montvernier) at 40mph. He was saying to enjoy the descent from the Galibier:

Try reading correctly and engaging brain (before posting) unless you want the responses you tend to get here (like Benny's).

Soldato
I'll play :p
Calves: 16.94"
Thighs: 24.5"

Weight: 3 tons. I'm dense as you like, stocky and broad at 5'10

I'll never be built like a climber, but as soon as my wife is back on her feet and I can get consistent training in, I'd love to train for sprinting.

Soldato
Well first day of the commute with the little one in nursery for a full day yesterday. Basically means I'm riding with the other half in the mornings while she tows the baby^chariot, not riding home for lunch (half hour lunches so I can finish early), leaving work at 4, riding to nursery, picking mini^me up, packing him in chariot and then towing him home. Quite good fun as it's all very new riding towing the trailer, but damn is it different! So much torque required to maintain speed! The route back is along a drag (usually into a headwind) up Kings Acre and I was finding myself holding around 200W just to maintain 15mph @80rpm. Trailer is not meant to do more than 15mph so behaving myself with it...! ;)

Calves: 15.25"
Thighs: 24"
Weight: 76kg (I'm a Hoy! Stocky build, broad shoulders etc)
5' 8"

He wasn't saying to ride down the included picture of switchbacks (Montvernier) at 40mph. He was saying to enjoy the descent from the Galibier:

Try reading correctly and engaging brain (before posting) unless you want the responses you tend to get here (like Benny's).

I was half expecting you to create an extra free Strava account for trailor duty, think of you're stats!;)

Anyone any ideas of what the incoming new incentives are for Strava Premium?

Back
Top Bottom