Road Cycling

Commissario
Had my first group ride last night - The local cycling club posted a 'slow' ride which I joined. The idea was mountain/flat bar bikes and we rode along the sea front and back again. Because the start was about 6 miles from home, I rode there first and met them. There was only five of us and it was a slow ride with an average speed of less than 12mph but I enjoyed it. I asked if there was anything I should know and was told simply "don't ride into anyone and don't fall off". I managed both of those so therefore it was a success :D

Soldato
Just read that Strava is changing its premium model to packs so it becomes Strava Summit. At the moment nothing looks to have changed but I did look around the current site and it has a Summit Perks under the Explore Tab. A nice thing they have added is Sundays Insurance.

Anyone that currently has Strava Premium gets free Sundays Insurance which includes £350 reimbursement towards your cycling tracking device be it phone or cycling computer if it breaks in an accident, and £30 towards a taxi fare if you break down which is a nice touch.

Obviously the packs are so they can extract more money out of you but some of the stuff Im not interested in so it should be cheaper

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll never be built like a climber, but as soon as my wife is back on her feet and I can get consistent training in, I'd love to train for sprinting.
See, I've always thought that I was more of a sprinter but when riding with guys on Zwift (who race IRL) I really don't have a kick strong enough, they're regularly hitting 1500W+ in their sprints and most will peak around 2000W. I'm more of a rouleur/domestique where I can put out sustained power, recover, surge and do it again. Helping breaks, chasing breaks, closing gaps and towing on the flats & starts of climbs. Although I do tend to climb far better outdoors than I do on there so maybe it's not that great a judge...!

Hope she's recovering well and you're able to keep the rabble under control!? :D

I pull my 11yr old and my 4yr old in ours... lol it's a squeeze but the person who has them at lunch and afterschool picks them up in a car, so my 11yr old can't ride his bike. It's proper leg burner with those two. The max I hit was 34kph :D
That's insane! :o On the MTB? How much weight?!

Ours is only a single seater, but with that on the back (5-6kg), junior (~12kg), his accessories (2-3kg?) it's like towing an anchor! :o

I was half expecting you to create an extra free Strava account for trailor duty, think of you're stats!;)
Haha naah, but I had been looking for some way to flag my rides... Have just taken to marking them as commutes rather than changing the ride type. Should be enough!

Soldato
I asked if there was anything I should know and was told simply "don't ride into anyone and don't fall off". I managed both of those so therefore it was a success :D

Sound advice. The other things you might want to do in a group is get used to shouting out any upcoming hazards if you're on the front (potholes, parked cars. etc) as they're not always obvious to the people behind you. Oh, try not to brake suddenly!

Soldato
Just looking at Strava Premium Packs now more out of interest as I wouldn't ever buy them. How does the price of £4 per month compare to previous? Looks like most people who are into their cycling would go for the training and analysis pack. be intrigued to see the training plans they provide.

Soldato
I just cancelled my premium as I don't have a power meter right now. Scott Foil rear brake position messes up left crank options.

Didn't seem much point in it without power data.

Soldato
See, I've always thought that I was more of a sprinter but when riding with guys on Zwift (who race IRL) I really don't have a kick strong enough, they're regularly hitting 1500W+ in their sprints and most will peak around 2000W. I'm more of a rouleur/domestique where I can put out sustained power, recover, surge and do it again. Helping breaks, chasing breaks, closing gaps and towing on the flats & starts of climbs. Although I do tend to climb far better outdoors than I do on there so maybe it's not that great a judge...!
Even when not at peak fitness I can hit 1700-1800w peak when hammering away, but it's like a nano second and then death occurs :D I'd love to build that and be able to manage the likes of an average sprinter. Although I've seen some of the 1km sprinting races on Zwift too and jesus their sustained power is mad. I need to train like hell to even be able to not be 5min behind haha

Hope she's recovering well and you're able to keep the rabble under control!? :D

Thanks! She's doing my head in more than the kids. I'm exhausted haha her lack of control in the house, coupled with her cabin fever, the fact she's given up smoking and is hormonal is driving her, and me, insane.

That's insane! :o On the MTB? How much weight?!

Ours is only a single seater, but with that on the back (5-6kg), junior (~12kg), his accessories (2-3kg?) it's like towing an anchor! :o

Yea, on the MTB. I use the wife's Grand Canyon AL as it's metal not carbon. Tuesdays are worst, boy has sports so 2 school bags, 4yr olds school bag and her at 16kg and him at 35kg?! They crap must be another 10kg with his bags, it's mega up my long sloped drive. Have to lean over the front to stop it flipping :D headwinds are a killer

Soldato
All these big numbers for you sprinters.

I think my peak has been 1350w or so. 5 sec of around 1100w.

Been working on technique using a lower gear and getting onto of it rather than using a higher gear at a slower cadence, helps with my jump.

Soldato
All these big numbers for you sprinters.

I think my peak has been 1350w or so. 5 sec of around 1100w.

Been working on technique using a lower gear and getting onto of it rather than using a higher gear at a slower cadence, helps with my jump.

Mine is more in line with you.

I am sure pro guys aren’t putting down much more than 1500-1600 but won’t be released for sure & they can hold it longer. Look at the sprint data we have from the TDF, peaks of 1200-1400 with 30 second averages of 1000-1100 was usual.

2000w I would put down to trainer error.

Updated on my frame. Got an invoice and forwarded it to LBS Saturday, LBS confirmed today I will get a new frame, 2019 model looking at the end of October! Great news, not so good about the 3 month wait.

Soldato
I've trained track like a mofo the last 12 months and I can still only hold 1000w for about 7 seconds tops. :p

/edit - yeah 1172w for 1s and 1080w for 5s, so I'm guessing 1000w for 6s, maybe 7s absolute tops. Meh - anyway, I'm not actually all that interested in sprint power - I'd trade sprint power for a touch more stamina any day of the week.

Last edited:
Associate
Calves: 14”
Thighs: 20”
5' 11"
Weight 74kg.

Managed to throw myself out tonight and met 3 others, 1 of which is pretty decent. The other two I've been taking to the bundy and don't really know the route AND there was a diversion due to roadworks so we kept it shorter and hit the braidwood climb. One of the guys was dropped before the turn off so me and the other guy sat up and waited for him to catch up before going up it.

Got a PB which I was pretty happy with being a sub 7 minutes but I feel I have more to give if I had someone to chase/follow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1740966320/segments/43629138975

What is the script with Mr Mendoza and Mr Jpaul? They seem awfully obtuse.

Jeez dude, you are flying these days!

Seen on Strava you'd been out doing the saturday douglas run. Not working in the shop anymore?

Soldato
Jeez dude, you are flying these days!

Seen on Strava you'd been out doing the saturday douglas run. Not working in the shop anymore?

Still in the shop mate, 8 years in June just gone :|

I worked Mon - Fri to get the Saturday off and it was a ****** day after all that sunshine we had. Working this Saturday so may well meet the Royal Albert guys on Sunday at Larkhall and do the Douglas with them for the miles.

I am sure pro guys aren’t putting down much more than 1500-1600 but won’t be released for sure & they can hold it longer. Look at the sprint data we have from the TDF, peaks of 1200-1400 with 30 second averages of 1000-1100 was usual.

Updated on my frame. Got an invoice and forwarded it to LBS Saturday, LBS confirmed today I will get a new frame, 2019 model looking at the end of October! Great news, not so good about the 3 month wait.

No point being able to sprint if you can't get to the line really haha. I find being able to hold 300-400 for minutes and jumping on wheels at 700-800 for a few seconds and settling down to 300-400 again is where it matters a lot when people are jumping about like mad.

Aye it's a bit crap the wait time but at least they are sorting it out!

Check for any changes in spec that may be different from what you have - direct mount brakes and press fit BB etc.

Soldato

The difference is they are doing that day after day with thousands of ft of climbing on rides above 75mi. That data is none comparable to someone measuring peak sprint power on one single ride. The differences between measuring after 10m of riding compared to even 50m of riding with say 2500ft+ can be noticeable to an amateur.

Just as a side, I'd class myself as in 'OK' shape for a none racing amateur given the time I have available and wince at some of the tour riders data. I managed to find a recent training ride of greipel that was very similar to my own. Mileage was within about 2-3, climbing was within 100-200ft and average speed was very similar at around 20mph. The difference was that I was over 150bpm average and he was under 100bpm, it's almost laughable.

Last edited:
Soldato
The difference is they are doing that day after day with thousands of ft of climbing on rides above 75mi. That data is none comparable to someone measuring peak sprint power on one single ride. The differences between measuring after 10m of riding compared to even 50m of riding with say 2500ft+ can be noticeable to an amateur.

Ditto.

People often overlook that the efforts pro's produce are repeatable after several hours that day of racing and several days prior too. Not to mention that's not the only effort of that ride with often having to bridge, take pulls and play general domestique duties too before even getting anywhere near position.

Oh and that final 'sprint' effort will have had a pretty punchy 10km run in too :cool:

Soldato
Counter - a fast twitch muscle effort such as a sprint; fatigue wouldn’t reduce the peak power value produced greatly, only the sustained power output over that time period.

Therefore, the 2000w guys are full of **** especially at the end of a Zwift race.

Flame on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just looking at Strava Premium Packs now more out of interest as I wouldn't ever buy them. How does the price of £4 per month compare to previous? Looks like most people who are into their cycling would go for the training and analysis pack. be intrigued to see the training plans they provide.

Usual good article on this from DCR

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/08/strava-renames-premium-to-summit-changes-pricing-model.html

Where I noticed this nugget:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07...e-computers.html/comment-page-1#wheres-strava

But then there’s the bigger problem: Lack of Strava Live Segments.

To be clear – the unit uploads to Strava just fine, and can even pull Strava Routes just fine. But Strava Live Segments? Not so much.

The reason? Well that’s where it gets really messy, really quickly.

See, the original Stages Dash didn’t have Strava Live Segments either – but the company wanted to roll it out with these new products. Up until this point in time, that was largely a company-specific (Stages) thing, not a Strava limiter. As long as they had Strava’s blessing to roll out, it was merely a technical implementation item. Garmin, Polar, Lezyne, Wahoo, Mio, Sigma, and probably some others I’m missing all have done so on a variety of their devices.

But when Stages went to get said blessing they were essentially told to pay a per-device fee. Without getting too far into the specifics, that per-device fee is massive – almost as much as retailers would make. Of course, for any company, that’s a non-starter. Stages was apparently the first company to be caught in this new Strava policy of making money on the device side of Strava Live Segments (as a reminder it already is limited to only paying Strava Premium users).

Now both Stages and Strava say they’re still working this out – and thus, for the time being, I’ll sit a bit longer on the sidelines while they do so.

But let me be clear upfront: I’m not a fan, and let me explain why.

This is effectively a Garmin device promotion fee. There’s really no other way to frame it. See, Strava can go to smaller players like Stages, Sigma, Lezyne, and Polar (and probably even Wahoo) and force them to pay this fee (or not have the feature). Whereas if they go to Garmin and say the same, Garmin will tell them to ‘take a flying leap’ (actually, they’ll use other four-letter words).

Strava will have no choice of course, because Garmin commands about 95-98% of the cycling GPS market. But more importantly – it drives people to actually subscribe to Strava Premium. Without Garmin, Strava’s back to losing boatloads of cash (which investors don’t like). It’s the much tighter partnership between Strava and Garmin over the last 3 years that’s increased Strava’s previously non-existent revenues. Strava knows this, Garmin knows this…and everyone else knows this.

Back
Top Bottom