Road Cycling

Soldato
I may look into a saddle with a cut out in it after today. My goooch has taken a hella pounding!

Long hilly one in the wind today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1751973186

I'd call it 6 climbs, 4 bigger ones and 3 of them one after each other really. Had to ride a bit steady for a guy who had a knee problem and chucked it at 84 miles. Meant me and the other guy could bring the average up from 17 on the way home.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/1751812008/overview

70 mile charity organised Sportive today. £25 and a great spread once you got back to the hospice - sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls, crisps, cake <munch munch>

I was enjoying the long descent over the moors after the first big climb of the day and was puzzled why my only left thigh was hurting. Looked down and there was a wasp on my thigh busy making holes in my leg :mad: Had to stop on a really good section to eject the little bugger and I'm now sporting a decent sized red mark on my leg.

Soldato
Worth noting the SRAM links aren't officially reusable although I have done without any issues. The newer KMC 11 speed ones are.
Same, SRAM links here and always got spares after there was a flash sale on them on CRC. Got 5 links for £3.60! I tend to use mine 2-3 times and bin them, usually that's around the same lifecycle as the chain.

Replaced my cracked saddle. Thanks again @merlin.

VeWaNOKl.jpg
That's some crack looking at it in that light! Bet you can feel the difference already! :)

I may look into a saddle with a cut out in it after today. My goooch has taken a hella pounding!

Long hilly one in the wind today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1751973186

I'd call it 6 climbs, 4 bigger ones and 3 of them one after each other really. Had to ride a bit steady for a guy who had a knee problem and chucked it at 84 miles. Meant me and the other guy could bring the average up from 17 on the way home.
Mega ride bud, you're going from strength to strength this year! Good work!

I can recommend saddles with cutouts, I won't ride anything else now. Did my first long Zwift ride on the new Arione R5 Open yesterday morning. Felt ok, quite sore but recent lack of time in the saddle more than anything. Really good to get back out with the WBR guys (banter!) and a decent block of a ride in. Was in bits afterwards but perfect training to kick myself back into it! :)

70 mile charity organised Sportive today. £25 and a great spread once you got back to the hospice - sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls, crisps, cake <munch munch>

I was enjoying the long descent over the moors after the first big climb of the day and was puzzled why my only left thigh was hurting. Looked down and there was a wasp on my thigh busy making holes in my leg :mad: Had to stop on a really good section to eject the little bugger and I'm now sporting a decent sized red mark on my leg.
WTF! Wasps are spawn of the devil! One of the few things I'll only attempt to rescue with the right tools (glass & paper), otherwise I just flatten them.

Great riding, especially with Bwlch y Groes & Llangynog in there!

Soldato

Very jealous, round there is my "pipe dream" ride for 2018 (but trying to get train tickets and accomodation for under £250 for a few days riding around there is looking bleak) , up "The Big One" from Dolgellau and then up the south face of Bwlch Y Groes... Nice ride!

Soldato
Cheers guys. I know the area from passing through or walking, but I've never been road riding, so was great to be out on something brand new. The ramp at the bottom of Llangynog stung a bit but then it eases off and becomes a reasonably steady spin (in the granny ring though). Stunning day on the tops as well, so a real joy to be out.

I've seen the south route up the Bwlch is rated 10/10 in the 100 Climbs book, so will have to try that at some point. On Sunday I seemed to find a reasonable rhythm, keeping my HR in the 150s. Not that it was easy but it wasn't a Park Rash!

Soldato
I've seen the south route up the Bwlch is rated 10/10 in the 100 Climbs book, so will have to try that at some point. On Sunday I seemed to find a reasonable rhythm, keeping my HR in the 150s. Not that it was easy but it wasn't a Park Rash!
WTF is a Park Rash?! :o

Bwlch 'official' top100 segment.

I imagine it's a beautiful area, living and growing up in mid-Wales I know much of Welshpool & Machynlleth (and further south) from driving, but I have only ventured up to Blaenau Ffestiniog and Wrexham once.

Here's one for Steve ;)

After 4 years of owning my bike, I finally did my first imperial century - had to tack a loop of Regents park on to get it though.
Would have liked a quicker average, but had quite a few traffic light stops in the first and last segments.
Great ride, well done! How's the legs/arse? :D

Soldato
Disc brakes - I just replaced my pads for the first time and managed to lose a tiny clip that goes around the bolt that holds the pads and spring in. However the jolt is screwed in so the clip doesn’t matter?

Soldato
The clip like this?
0PnUz1w.jpg

It's just an extra safety measure to stop the bolt from falling out if it works itself loose. Brakes get hot on long descents and the heating/cooling cycles make the different parts expand and contract at different rates and, in theory, means bolts can unthread themselves. In my experience, i've always had the opposite problem of the bolt becoming very difficult to remove.

Soldato
Park Rash - possibly the worst climb I've ridden. Was a battle to keep the front wheel on the tarmac on the lower (steepest) parts.

https://veloviewer.com/segments/6687990
https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/park-rash/
Ahh, makes more sense, I thought it was a saying I wasn't aware of!

Looks fun, brutal! I find climbs with that kinda early gradient probably the hardest, they just zero your strength and there's very little recovering unless you ease up loads on the lower gradients, ruining your times! :D

Disc brakes - I just replaced my pads for the first time and managed to lose a tiny clip that goes around the bolt that holds the pads and spring in. However the jolt is screwed in so the clip doesn’t matter?

The clip is just there in case the bolt unscrews, so providing it's ok then you don't really need it. Make sure you've put copper grease on the bolts threads, I had one jam/corrode in a caliper and it was a pain to remove. I actually don't screw mine very tight at all now, maybe 2-3 nM, I've never experienced one come loose. I'm actually using the hex headed MTB ones as the slot head ones which came with my 785's both corroded. Got them from the rainforest.

Soldato
WTF is a Park Rash?! :o
Great ride, well done! How's the legs/arse? :D

Leg's are ok - arse is middling to average. I had treated myself to some Rapha classic bibs (II) and they definitely helped! I think on my DHB's after that length of ride I would be in a lot more pain.

Soldato
LOL - https://www.strava.com/activities/1757006746 - Harry Tanfields Edge 500 got flattened by several cars :(

My local chaingang is getting faster, my hopes of joining every now and again are pretty much ruined, at least until things get easier with the little one in a couple of years time. Just have no time for anything the days he's at nursery! Just cannot see how I gain the fitness I had last year, nevermind what I want/need for some serious club riding :(

My Chariot tow yesterday really pushed me, some headwinds around and slightly tired legs from the 100km Zwift ride on sunday really put me at threshold. Just seemed slow so pushed on, checking HR see I'm pretty much at threshold and barely even 15mph. Power lower than it should be but keeping the cadence up is certainly helping my legs. Although still really crazy high torque levels! The headwind was not even strong/constant... It's going to be brutal once we get to some of the windier/slower weather! :o

TCR going well for James Kirk, low day yesterday after a brute of a day before. He's on track for a top 25/30 place, not bad for his first! James Hayden has already finished, smashed 1st place this year! 3600 7-day TSS on TP! :o

Back
Top Bottom