Road Cycling

Soldato
Don't get down over it Roady. You're young and you've got all the foundations of a strong cyclist in there still - the fitness doesn't just dissolve overnight - it'll still be there for you to wake up and revive later in the year or next year even. Just tick yourself over with Zwift or whatever as and when time allows.

Maybe make the best of the non cycling time and improve the diet/trim some weight or whatever?

I stopped bothering looking at my commute data because I realised that it was taking me 5 miles to get warmed up, on a 8 mile commute! I came to the conclusion the data was just junk really, 75% of the ride was warm-up.

Soldato
My local chaingang is getting faster, my hopes of joining every now and again are pretty much ruined, at least until things get easier with the little one in a couple of years time. Just have no time for anything the days he's at nursery! Just cannot see how I gain the fitness I had last year, nevermind what I want/need for some serious club riding :(
Don't fret - I did no riding for 3 years (start of 2012 to end of 2014) and look at me now :p

Soldato
100km on Zwift on Sunday would be feeling it until Thursday at least! That won’t have helped you!

I did 50 on there on Sunday and felt not great yesterday still!

Soldato
My local chaingang is getting faster, my hopes of joining every now and again are pretty much ruined, at least until things get easier with the little one in a couple of years time. Just have no time for anything the days he's at nursery! Just cannot see how I gain the fitness I had last year, nevermind what I want/need for some serious club riding :(

I appreciate it is easier said than done when you have commitments like youngsters, but my recommendation is do something like I did Jan-Mar on Zwift, use the world hack to climb the old Wattopia KOM or the Alpe Du Zwift after a short warmup for as long as you can as often as you can when outdoor rides aren't possible. It helped me progress no end at the start of this year and while I didn't have a power meter for outdoor rides until April, there's very few cat3/4s where I have had a decent effort at this year and not beaten last year's times (typically climbing them this year with an average power in the ~290-315W ballpark).

Less than 45mins on bike including warmup for one of the two old KOM routes and I'm sure you will seriously challenging and then beating my cat2 time before too long https://www.strava.com/activities/1474874915#36755859948

Looks interesting, shame it heads the wrong way from the train station for Dolgellau, strange how Mr Evans the hill alien hasn't attempted that one! ;)

Soldato
Strange mechanical... my brake lever is getting stuck on in this position. I've removed the whole brake cable and it's still an issue. I'm convinced there's something lodged in behind it but I'm reluctant to try and dismantle the whole spring-loaded shifter. I've noticed in riding it will eventually work it's way loose and release the lever so I suspect there's something stuck behind the spring blocking it. I turned the bike upside down and suddenly I could move it again. Brought bike back upright, squeezed a few times and problem re-appeared. Anyone have any ideas?

5EnGEHY.jpg

Soldato
Don't get down over it Roady. You're young and you've got all the foundations of a strong cyclist in there still - the fitness doesn't just dissolve overnight - it'll still be there for you to wake up and revive later in the year or next year even. Just tick yourself over with Zwift or whatever as and when time allows.

Maybe make the best of the non cycling time and improve the diet/trim some weight or whatever?

I stopped bothering looking at my commute data because I realised that it was taking me 5 miles to get warmed up, on a 8 mile commute! I came to the conclusion the data was just junk really, 75% of the ride was warm-up.
Don't feel young at the moment! ;)

The hot weather coupled with some bits of sickness over the last couple of weeks have really taken their toll. Throw in some interrupted sleep (the dog more to blame than the baby!) and I've been feeling really run down/gloomy! Last week really hurt, but equally was the first full week of Nursery with us figuring out new routines. I feel a hell of a lot better after that 60 mile Zwift session on sunday, as it felt like a step in the right direction training/fitness wise so just need to keep that up for some regular riding. Providing I can shake this recurring illness (I'm sure it's linked to poor sleep and the heat running me down) I'll be feeling much better.

Don't fret - I did no riding for 3 years (start of 2012 to end of 2014) and look at me now :p
Haha, if only! To be fair because I've seen fairly consistent progress through the last ~7 years I've been riding as my fitness has obviously improved. From 2015 onwards things got more 'serious', still seeing solid improvements. 2018 will my first year where I've not improved, it will be really not something I'm used to! With commuting I can't really 'avoid' riding and to be fair as I enjoy cycling so much I can't imagine choosing not to! ;)

I appreciate it is easier said than done when you have commitments like youngsters, but my recommendation is do something like I did Jan-Mar on Zwift, use the world hack to climb the old Wattopia KOM or the Alpe Du Zwift after a short warmup for as long as you can as often as you can when outdoor rides aren't possible.
Valid recommendation but really sure I'd find that boring! I've only ridden that segment twice! For me that's missing a huge amount of the social aspect of Zwift ;)

For me it's twofold, I need to enjoy my time training/riding as that's the main aim, rather than really progress/fitness (as I feel like I've always progressed without a large amount of effort). The other side of that is maximising my time riding, which has generally lead me to racing/group riding on Zwift primarily with the WBR guys. I get enough junk (base) miles commuting! :o

A large part of my riding is as cheap commuting transport - it's boring most of the time (certainly through the bad weather!) so my mindset settles on it as a way to have some fitness, save money and (some) enjoyment. So when I ride through 'choice' I really want to find enjoyment, that's tended to be competition through racing or banter in group workouts. :)

Soldato
Probably/possibly gunk in the cable outer/plastic cap bits so the cable itself is snagging/tight and it's not the shifter?

To be fair that lever looks quite far back, can't understand how you're able to ride along like that unless you've also wound your cable adjuster out?

Soldato
Strange mechanical... my brake lever is getting stuck on in this position. I've removed the whole brake cable and it's still an issue. I'm convinced there's something lodged in behind it but I'm reluctant to try and dismantle the whole spring-loaded shifter. I've noticed in riding it will eventually work it's way loose and release the lever so I suspect there's something stuck behind the spring blocking it. I turned the bike upside down and suddenly I could move it again. Brought bike back upright, squeezed a few times and problem re-appeared. Anyone have any ideas?

5EnGEHY.jpg

Are the two screws that hold the cosmetic cap on there? I can see the big one in the photo but there is a smaller one sat behind it.

Had a boys lever jam up because the screw had been shaken loose and fell inside the shift mechanism.

@Roady You'll be back on it in no time, time off can be good as loads of us get far too obsessed with it when it's only meant to be a hobby. Sounds like the bunch I met last night, it used to be 'steady' but it's getting more popular and more guys that can't be bothered getting dropped on the bundy can get their cocks out with weaker guys to look good.

Soldato
Probably/possibly gunk in the cable outer/plastic cap bits so the cable itself is snagging/tight and it's not the shifter?

To be fair that lever looks quite far back, can't understand how you're able to ride along like that unless you've also wound your cable adjuster out?
Cable is fully removed (well besides the outer) and problem still exists :p

I could still ride though I took any descent pretty cautiously. I did have to open the quick-release on the brake.

Are the two screws that hold the cosmetic cap on there? I can see the big one in the photo but there is a smaller one sat behind it.

Had a boys lever jam up because the screw had been shaken loose and fell inside the shift mechanism.
That's a very good point... I seem to remember that screw was missing before but I wonder if that's where it went missing. I'm trying to locate some small screwdrivers here then I'll have a look.

Associate
Hey guys
How do you all look for routes to go further afield? Was thinking about going out into the Peak District but worried about going out and finding it’s too tough. As a Lincolnshire lad used to fairly flat routes think I’d struggle on 10% plus for miles on end.
Is there somewhere that has routes you can look at and download?

Soldato
Hey guys
How do you all look for routes to go further afield? Was thinking about going out into the Peak District but worried about going out and finding it’s too tough. As a Lincolnshire lad used to fairly flat routes think I’d struggle on 10% plus for miles on end.

Strava route creator to create somethingr or ridewithgps.com to find routes or a combo of both. Usually use Google maps street view to check road quality too.

Soldato
Hey guys

For somewhere like the Peaks, a Google should turn up sportives which will usually have a choice of routes (often with the GPX file) and tell you a little about them in terms of how hard.

A copy of something like Cycling Climbs for the area will help you find (or avoid) the worst

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Climbs-Midlands-Simon-Warren/dp/0711237069

There are some nasty climbs in the Peaks (and the UK) but they aren't Alpine-esq and go on for 20 to 40k. Cat & Fiddle in the Peaks is 10k but only averages 3.2%

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/cat-fiddle/

Usually use Google maps street view to check road quality too.

Many a time I've sent myself down a muddy farm track which is routable...

Back
Top Bottom