Road Cycling

Soldato
Aye it's APR so hopefully they mess it up like the one I usually do where the first group get 6 minutes over 24 miles.

Will be off first and take out of it what I can as a lot of the names on there are strong guys outwith Mr Tanfield.

Soldato
Well my Orbea Orca M20 Team Disc has arrived! I'll get pics up later as I'm out today.
Woohoo, enjoy! Looking forward to pics (on the pics thread not this one please). Hope those pedals are not too obvious as they're a bit marmite! Depends on the colour of shoes and frame though of course... (said he riding one of the brightest frames and brightest shoe choices available!) ;)

Must remember to ride my turns and not just sit there for 24 hours eating and sleeping :D
Riding with @Lethal` ? He's a sadist so will pickup if you slack & sleep. ;)

Have a good one, would love to ride a track, Silverstone would probably be my first choice but I've never driven Brands... :D

Pinched my last spare inner tube over the weekend when i was changing the burst one :mad: More tubes on order so I should hopefully be back out cycling by midweek! :(
Doh! I do tend to keep around 5-10 spare at a time although have become quite lax as not had a 'p' for probably 8 months+. Beauty of riding 28mm's at lower pressures! ;)

got one of those trendy wide rims (Kinlin XR22RT, catchy name) on the back of my work bike now. I'm converted. Without wanting to sound like one of the motors section internet driving heros, back end grip is off the chart.
Wow, they sound rad! :cool:

What where you running before? 17mm? Running another 2mm wider again here (21mm internal on my Zipp course 30) and noticed a huge difference to the 19mm internal Axis rims on exactly the same tyres. Love the comfort, 28mm tyres at 60psi are so smoooooooth, as well as still feeling quick. Although conti gp4ksii are not great at 60psi (they seem to bleed and rapidly get down to 40psi bottoming out unless you keep on top of them). Am now actually running 80psi rear and 65-70 front for towing the baby chariot and they seem to hold pressures much better. Currently into day 11 but not ridden today, felt ok on saturday. Wouldn't do 6+ days before.

So I've entered the Rothesay APR and my mate just told me to look at the start sheet.

Couple of names there that stand out...

Wow that'll be an experience if nothing else! Be fully rested and on form! ;)

Mr Tanfield to drop the scratch group before he catches you/everyone :p
Tanfield 3up when Charlie also shows up. #machines

Soldato
Riding with @Lethal` ? He's a sadist so will pickup if you slack & sleep. ;)

Lolwut. When did I say this?

BennyC's in a different team. I'll be riding with @Shamrock

Have a good one, would love to ride a track, Silverstone would probably be my first choice but I've never driven Brands... :D

I'll be oh so tempted to take my car round too... but apparently that could result in disqualification :(

Soldato
What where you running before? 17mm? Running another 2mm wider again here (21mm internal on my Zipp course 30) and noticed a huge difference to the 19mm internal Axis rims on exactly the same tyres. Love the comfort, 28mm tyres at 60psi are so smoooooooth, as well as still feeling quick. Although conti gp4ksii are not great at 60psi (they seem to bleed and rapidly get down to 40psi bottoming out unless you keep on top of them). Am now actually running 80psi rear and 65-70 front for towing the baby chariot and they seem to hold pressures much better. Currently into day 11 but not ridden today, felt ok on saturday. Wouldn't do 6+ days before.

gone from the old school open pro 15mm internal width to a 19mm internal width.

(I've got some real old school 13mm internal rims in the shed. Ideal if you like 20mm tyres)

Soldato
Ran the last of my Friday Night Track League (fixed wheel) races last Friday so that's the season wrapped up.

Managed my first win in the night's first race, well chuffed as I'd only got a 4th up to that point in that particular group. Gotta wait for tables to be updated now to see final standings, won't be any silverware coming my way but I'm certainly expecting to finish comfortably at the right end of the three tables I've raced in (masters/b category/endurance).

Keeping my fixed wheel bike for sure but next season probably going to look into circuit racing for oldies. Could be fun!

Soldato
This was after only 8 days of commuting (past 2 weeks):
BvkOopH.jpg fVKTHXw.jpg :o

I dread to think what my headset bearings look like... :o
Can confirm my headset bearings are in a pretty rusty state as only really got around to check them on the weekend. They move fine so not really bothered till now - just really starting to feel rough!

Lolwut. When did I say this?

BennyC's in a different team. I'll be riding with @Shamrock

Didn't you ride a relay and one of the others only did a couple of turns before sleeping the rest of the time and you rode his turns? Legend/Hardman! :D Or am I confusing a relay with the Redbull one?

gone from the old school open pro 15mm internal width to a 19mm internal width.

(I've got some real old school 13mm internal rims in the shed. Ideal if you like 20mm tyres)
Ouch, just think of the beans! :o

Ran the last of my Friday Night Track League (fixed wheel) races last Friday so that's the season wrapped up.
Well done & glad you've done well! Totally jealous, but equally know I'd struggle to stick with anything like that!

Soldato
So since I've signed up for my first 100 mile sportive at the end of the month I decided to do a long cycle yesterday.

Unfortunately I was cought out in a down pour which is probably the first time ridden in the rain in years...

Straight away I notice highly reduced breaking to the point where I had a terrible feeling of not being able to stop even though I'm barely moving...

Any recommendations on disc pads to go with rt800 ice tech rotors (trp spyre mechanical disc brakes)?

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't you ride a relay and one of the others only did a couple of turns before sleeping the rest of the time and you rode his turns? Legend/Hardman! :D Or am I confusing a relay with the Redbull one?
Haha.. yeah that was the Red bull time laps relay. Though your rendition seems slightly more exaggerated. Said teammate skipped some night turns in favour of sleep so we all had to cover them. I wasn't going to let us give away laps with no one riding - though that did happen in other teams.

Soldato
I know a few of those riders i ride with Johnstone wheelers and Glasgow couriers. Some strong riders in that start list.

Aye thankfully I know a few of the guys to look out for. Ross Cunningham and Burgess can climb like ****. Martin Lonie, David Dalziel and Stuart McGregor are bundy boys and big G Murdoch is a solid wheel to follow.

I know Richie Provan through work and Ride with Barry Crumlish from the clubs you mentioned.

Soldato
Managed my first win in the night's first race, well chuffed as I'd only got a 4th up to that point in that particular group. Gotta wait for tables to be updated now to see final standings, won't be any silverware coming my way but I'm certainly expecting to finish comfortably at the right end of the three tables I've raced in (masters/b category/endurance).

Congratulations, its been good seeing your improvement over the year :cool:

Soldato
Finally back on the bike after playing carer at home for the past 3 months. Jesus mary it's awful being back on the bike! :D Well, it's awesome, but everything hurts... time to grind again and try and shift about 2347 stone. Nice to be back though :)

Soldato
Bargain, won a new Conti GP 4 Season 28mm last night on ebay. Matches one I won back in February... Although that does mean I may delay going tubeless for the winter as no new tyres required? Hmmm. Decisions!

Let me know if someone is looking for a pair a couple of quid cheaper than online. Would sell them both to go tubeless! ;)

@Roady, sorry I didn’t get round to posting the bracket this weekend, it will go in the tomorrow.
Hi mate, forgot to mention bracket arrived on friday! Finally unpackaged it and fitted last night, perfect! Saves me £9 or whatever they are, you didn't email me back with a paypal address to send you the cost of a pint/postage! :)

Any recommendations on disc pads to go with rt800 ice tech rotors (trp spyre mechanical disc brakes)?
I went with the cheapy Eurobike pads and regretted it, got less than 1500 miles out of each of them (bought 3 sets). Changed to the Shimano J04 and enjoying them but not ridden in loads of wet weather (barely ridden in any rain for months)! Looking at Strava they've done 1200 miles, plenty of wear left and no issues.

I wasn't going to let us give away laps with no one riding - though that did happen in other teams.
See, riding>sleep. hardman. :D

Finally back on the bike after playing carer at home for the past 3 months. Jesus mary it's awful being back on the bike! :D Well, it's awesome, but everything hurts... time to grind again and try and shift about 2347 stone. Nice to be back though :)
Welcome back buddy, hope her recovery has gone ok! Zwift rehabilitation? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi mate, forgot to mention bracket arrived on friday! Finally unpackaged it and fitted last night, perfect! Saves me £9 or whatever they are, you didn't email me back with a paypal address to send you the cost of a pint/postage! :)

Not to worry, it didn't cost me anything to send it anyway as the wife put it in with her works mail so her company paid for it :D

Soldato
Anyone that is interested in some very high quality cycling gear - https://spexcel.aliexpress.com/store/2219030

I bought some bibs and also a wind/water proof jersey. Both have arrived and are easily the best value cycling gear I have purchased. (This is coming from someone who has a lot of Rapha gear, and a Castelli Perfetto and has gone through DHB and Planet X's offerings) The jersey I got through seems to be the same material as the perfetto, and is definitely as wind/waterproof.

Soldato
Anyone that is interested in some very high quality cycling gear - https://spexcel.aliexpress.com/store/2219030

I bought some bibs and also a wind/water proof jersey. Both have arrived and are easily the best value cycling gear I have purchased. (This is coming from someone who has a lot of Rapha gear, and a Castelli Perfetto and has gone through DHB and Planet X's offerings) The jersey I got through seems to be the same material as the perfetto, and is definitely as wind/waterproof.

What's the sizing like compared to dhb? I need to restock my winter gear

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the sizing like compared to dhb?
DHB Bibs I am a medium - in these I got a Large. The size charts are pretty accurate, so using them as a guide should work. I went with an XL Jersey - I'm 182cm/87kgs and 40" chest, and it fits a tiny bit loose but still very happy with it, as I don't like total skin tight gear.

Soldato
DHB Bibs I am a medium - in these I got a Large. The size charts are pretty accurate, so using them as a guide should work. I went with an XL Jersey - I'm 182cm/87kgs and 40" chest, and it fits a tiny bit loose but still very happy with it, as I don't like total skin tight gear.

You're 4cm taller than me and probably built similar based on weight. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom