Road Cycling

Soldato
Vitus Venon CRi disc at chain reaction, currently 2299, so about 2070 with BC discount

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-venon-cri-disc-road-bike-ultegra-di2-2018/rp-prod159912

Ultegra di2 and hydraulic discs at a good night out over 2k....
Good setup, shame it's ugly as sin! Rubbish wheels and 'meh' frame.

I'd be disappointed but then again that's in the knowledge I picked my Diverge up for £1750. Similar 'meh' wheels, 105 and equal (685) hydraulics with much better frame.

Brave. No chance I'm wasting watts in this wind. :p

Probably jumping on Zwift tonight, turn the legs, then maybe get out Saturday morning when hopefully the wind and rain will have buggered off.
Counting down the minutes until my commute home. #pray4roady

To be fair, the 'Torrential 100% chance of heavy rain and storm winds from 1am until 11pm' my weather app predicted hasn't really materialised. Maybe 2-3 hours of strong winds and 4-5 of rain here. Didn't get wet/blown away on the way in and it's currently only showers and ok gusts, so expecting the same on the way home (& that's jinxed it).

I've never managed more than 30 minutes on the turbo as I prefer being outside, if you saw my turbo setup you may understand haha.
Ghetto turbo'ing is what it's all about, watch some of the live streams of some of the most regular (& good) racing Zwifters and you'll see some pretty horrific setups. The amazing Zwift setups you see - don't generally produce amazing riders! :D ;)

EDIT: Ordered a couple of the cheapy 25 lumen USB Lifeline rear lights for the chariot. Expecting great things as I'm sure a couple here have found the Lifeline lights good?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ghetto turbo'ing is what it's all about, watch some of the live streams of some of the most regular (& good) racing Zwifters and you'll see some pretty horrific setups. The amazing Zwift setups you see - don't generally produce amazing riders! :D ;)

My set up is completely average, much like my cycling. :p

Soldato

Well I should be ******* phenomenal. Basic mag turbo, my car trolley jack/box as a riser block and my phone with headphones playing some banging hardstyle whilst looking at a Garmin screen in the dark of my back door hall.

Soldato
Good setup, shame it's ugly as sin! Rubbish wheels and 'meh' frame.

I'd be disappointed but then again that's in the knowledge I picked my Diverge up for £1750. Similar 'meh' wheels, 105 and equal (685) hydraulics with much better frame.

Got any evidence of "much better frame"?

Soldato
What will they do with their weekend now? Oh... probably stay indoors and not venture out using the roads anyway :D
Be cut off for 2, 3, 4 days by the number of trees due to fall down and be without electricity all at the same time.

I'm just looking forward to riding cx in proper conditions.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Ugh, maybe I made a mistake not going straight to tubeless...

Storm Ali left a trail of crap and debris on my commute this morning and I got 2 punctures.:( A drawing pin did the front tube which I replaced with some difficulty (the Hunt rims are a bitch to remove clincher tyres from) and then about 200m from my office I got a rear puncture which turned out to be another piece of metal.

Was I just really unlucky or should I take the tubeless plunge?:o

Soldato
My set up is completely average, much like my cycling. :p
Pffft, hardly Mr 4th place! :)

Well I should be ******* phenomenal. Basic mag turbo, my car trolley jack/box as a riser block and my phone with headphones playing some banging hardstyle whilst looking at a Garmin screen in the dark of my back door hall.
Wow you've got a roof? That's not ghetto! ;)

Got any evidence of "much better frame"?
Specialized Carbon rather than some open mold, shorter wheelbase, zertz inserts, proven over many iterations and several years of heavy riders americans using them.

Roady's always been a bit brand-first

reviewed at £1800 with mechanical 105 it did pretty well https://road.cc/content/review/238072-vitus-venon-cr-disc-105 ( that model is now around 1200 quid with BC)

it's a fraction tall at the front for my taste and the paint job is gopping (the di2 one...) otherwise my bonus might've got a raking.
Will admit I am quite a bit brand biased but mostly due to the brands I like having proven pedigree, reliability and usually their own distinctions. But I do tend to read/research everything to death too. To me it seems overpriced for what it is! Maybe some of that is GBP dropping in value so many of the 2018 ranges have crept up in price, but equally we're in autumn 2018 so 2019 ranges are coming out so there should be better deals than that.

And define 'it did pretty well'?
The Venon CR is a fast bike, too, especially over long distances, though it doesn't have the snappy acceleration of a race bike and feels heavier than you'd expect of its 8.86kg (19.5lb) overall weight. Moving off from a standing start quickly, you have to work quite hard and if you're on busy roads with multiple traffic lights, roundabouts and junctions it can become labouring on the legs, especially if you're trying to maintain your place in traffic.
&
It's fine in the non-technical stuff and actually means it is a very easy bike to ride whatever your level of ability, or when you are tired coming towards the end of an epic event.

High-speed descending was a little vague – I couldn't quite get the feedback I wanted on road conditions and grip levels going into corners so found myself making constant little micro-adjustments to stay on the correct line. Keep the speed at sensible levels, though, and you'll be fine, and if the bike does step out of line it does so gradually and you don't really have to fight it back to where you want it. Exhilarating, maybe not; safe, yes.

EDIT: An extra thought when it comes to tyres, they mention it comes with 28's but can fit 30's. Not huge clearance for an 'endurance' disc bike in this day and age so make sure if intending on fitting full guards you've got the space you need for whatever tyres.

Just seen a notice saying velo South has been canceled due to the weather predicted for Sunday. Some of the locals will be very Happy.
They've not had much luck have they? Didn't they delay the Birmingham one last year, then changed the route? Is this the first time the south one has run?

Oh... probably stay indoors and not venture out using the roads anyway :D
:D:D:D

Was I just really unlucky or should I take the tubeless plunge?:o
Just rubbish luck! But might be worth finding some tougher tyres & dropping pressure a little? Although to be fair there's really nothing you can do against a drawing pin.

Rode through some broken/shattered glass strewn across the cycle path on my commute the last 3 days (and the other half 2 days, with chariot twice). No punctures yet! Lots of tree debris around this morning but none down around here (yet) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
overpriced for what it is!

And define 'it did pretty well'?

I went looking a while ago, disc-braked, di2 bikes with carbon frames below £2500 are thin on the ground if you can find them, especially if you don't want one that's got mavic aksiums...

four stars out of five in that review

Soldato
When it's winter - it's warm socks and overshoes as that's what you're used to even though that's kinda warm for winter. This is still kinda-should-be summer so just warm socks? :)

I splashed out on some Winter shoes the other week. I now own four pairs of Mavics but they've generally treated me well. Mavic Ksyrium Pro Thermo SPD and SPD-SL boots + a pair of summer mtb and road shoes. I suspect they won't seal at the top but I think for wet rides (rare for me - fairweather) I'll try the cut off marigold seal.

Soldato
Get some velotoze and put those over the boot/sock and under your leg warmer/bib they won't let anything in then. They'll rip at the bottom but as long as they're OK at the top that's all that matters.

Soldato
I went looking a while ago, disc-braked, di2 bikes with carbon frames below £2500 are thin on the ground if you can find them, especially if you don't want one that's got mavic aksiums...

four stars out of five in that review
I'm not saying there's tons of options out there, especially not with the GBP issues we're starting to see hit our pricing, but to me it seemed over priced but I was comparing it to what I figured mechanical Ultegra should cost. Equally I'm also poopoo'ing that frame with no experience of it other than that road.cc review.

Stars mean nothing if they're not calculated/quantified in some way. The reviewer comments on how stiff it is numerous times, yet doesn't list it as a con and rates the frame 8/10. He mentions it's slow to accelerate, more so than it's weight should be rating it 7/10 for acceleration. He mentions its a bit scetchy descending so you have to be a little reserved rating it 7/10 on fast decents (yet 8/10 overall). He complains about the hydraulic shifters feel not being as good as mechanical rating them 7/10.

He rates it overall 8/10 for performance and 7/10 for value. To me that's not a 4 of 5 stars. That's 3 out of 4. ;)

My Diverge got a better 9/10 frame rating, the same 7/10 acceleration (1 less for sprinting), 8/10 for stability with 9/10 on descents.

The Diverge got an overall 9/10 for performance and 9/10 for value. It got a 4.5 stars of 5 which sounds pretty accurate, even though he rated the Controls, Tyres, Wheels AND Drivechain lower than the Vitus (so I'd argue it should be 4 of 5 stars not 4.5, but they are different guys reviewing).

TLDR; stars are nothing without a baseline. Different baselines and guys reviewing = no constant.

Over 99% of readers agreed with my comments (of the 1 people surveyed).

Last edited:
Soldato
It's going to be 8c where I live tomorrow morning - is that just warm socks territory, or warm socks and shoe covers too?
I'd go with warm socks and tow covers but I tend to overdress (can always take the toe covers off if you have them). Also dress for the conditions - wet & windy so it'll feel colder than 8c :cool:

I splashed out on some Winter shoes the other week. I now own four pairs of Mavics but they've generally treated me well. Mavic Ksyrium Pro Thermo SPD and SPD-SL boots + a pair of summer mtb and road shoes. I suspect they won't seal at the top but I think for wet rides (rare for me - fairweather) I'll try the cut off marigold seal.
Cut off marigold = basically Velotoze! ;)

Interested in how you find them and which particular ones they are. I own the Sidi Hydro and Northwave Fahrenheit but only wore winter boots a handful of times even during the snow. I've generally found merino socks, leg warmers and overshoes enough but my commute is <10 mins and I wouldn't generally ride for multiple hours in sub zero temps/torrential freezing rain anyway.

Get some velotoze and put those over the boot/sock and under your leg warmer/bib they won't let anything in then. They'll rip at the bottom but as long as they're OK at the top that's all that matters.
Do Velotoze do just 'cuffs' to put around your ankles or did I imagine them?

Silicone drysuit cuffs. Not tried them but did mean to get some after reading on STW and loads of people there rating them.

Anyone used Bikes24-7.com?

Soldato
Cut off marigold = basically Velotoze! ;)
Yes but without the premium.
The drysuit seals sound interesting.

The boots are these and I have the same model in MTB flavour. I've only really worn the MTB shoes a couple of times. I was a bit disappointed with how wet the inside got when splashing around some trails but I still kept warm... that's the thing I'm pretty sure the water must have entered through the top. The other foot was dry.

Back
Top Bottom