Road Cycling

Soldato
I'd go with the first one, the pictures look like it's barely had any wear, it looks well looked after, £60 worth of new tyres on there. Most of it looks like it's still original components. Seller has lots of 100% feedback.

The second has had flat bars fitted, change of seatpost, saddle and tyres at least. Seller has 3 feedback. Mix/mash of parts so I would say someone has cobbled it together from spares in their garage to get rid of it. Certainly looks like it. Only 1 picture from the NDS. 105 brakes is the only thing it has over the first one.

Soldato
Uneven brake pad wear on rim brakes....

Pads contact the rim at the same time, both are swisstop blue, the rim is round and not out of true, they aren’t run too close to the rim so it’s not deflecting under power and rubbing. New brake cables. Calliper spring feels fine and the pads return no problem. I could increase the tension on it I guess.

Perhaps it has been increased due to riding in the wet/damp but the left hand side has worn almost to the limit ~20% and the other side is maybe ~60%. The left side is the brake cable side.

Any ideas? Looks like I’ll get one more ride out of them before they are bin fodder. I did accidentally rebuild my front calliper so I could do it with the rear but I don’t see any problem that could be fixed!

Soldato
I find the same with my 5800 and see it a lot on the similar brakes even when moving properly with fresh cables.

I think it is just the way the pressure must be distributed with the newer style brakes :confused:

Soldato
I had a terrible week on the bike last week; feeling under the weather and every ride was 0.3mph slower than the last. So inch though that I was under 14mph on the last one...

Looked at my bike today and the rear brake was rubbing so much that it only span for 5s. Oops! Will fly into work tomorrow!

Soldato
Managed 52km on Saturday. Actually encountered some hills which caused some huffing and puffing!

Just need to stick to it! I definitely need to find and do a 100km route before the 160km velo.

Soldato
God I love bikes. First my eTap battery goes AWOL during the week, then I forget to install the replacement for yesterday’s ride which leaves me running a single ring for 3 hours, then to top it off today I’m doing some maintenance and the rear mech decides it’s just going to die randomly. Shift light is blinking but nothing is happening. Still in warranty but FFS.

Soldato
Keep bikes simple is my opinion!

Didn't get out a club run I often join as it's the weekend with the Mrs but I directed her to play Ark and jumped out for a wee hour. Some epic wind around and had me sat at 20mph average for the first half of the ride until I turned and was doing 13mph for the rest, I'm sure I saw 7mph FAR too often haha. Made a point of hitting this road with a bang on tailwind https://www.strava.com/activities/2076424063/segments/52354007694 still can't beat Ross but he's a dick so.....

Soldato
I might be able to push the boat out and spend £1k on wheels, the two sets I’m looking at are the Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc Wheelset and the Zipp 302 Disc Wheelset. I will also need to get new centrelock rotors as mine are 6 bolt, I have no plans to go tubeless so the fact the Zipps aren’t tubeless isn’t important. My head says Hunt as they seem better spec. Well reviewed and you get more for your money but my heart says Zipp because they’re Zipp and I do like a bit of bling!

Soldato
It looks quality and being solid alu should be pretty much indestructible in that position! Good job! :D

Really enjoyed that one mate, good reading and a great balance of madness, brave riding and objective writing.

That tagline at the end is utter quality after such a mixed year for you. You've rebound in full force with your riding and fitness - huge kudos!

Love this! Hate to digress away from cycling (others may wanna skip this #gush) - think Rory is a similar age to my Harry (or a little bit younger)?

Harry's 15.5 months old now. Walking (running/charging!) everywhere. Clattering into things & rugby tackling the dog (Westie!). Such carnage at home now, but it's utterly amazing some of the things he's figured out. Everything with wheels (or round objects) is a 'car', dogs are 'wow-wows' and he gets excited about going in the baby chariot behind the bike to Nursery (good lad). We get 2 handed high fives but he doesn't quite know what to do when offered a single hand haha. Music is amazing, we nearly always have the radio on so he'll regularly hear a tune he likes, stand up and stamp his feet/wiggle his bottom. He gets his dance moves from me obviously (pro dad dancing). We've not really had time to watch TV with Harry so he is really not that bothered by it - gets bored of just sitting still - which is exactly how it should be (in my opinion). He'll go get a toy and play with it in front of the fire/TV on the few times we'll have it on in the daytime. Can't wait for the weather to warm up as he's figuring out how to throw a ball and even to kick one (not that I'm any way a footballer). Amazing times! :cool: :D

Thanks for reading and nice words pal, I appreciate it :)
Apologies for late reply to you also. I have just recovered from norovirus and have never been so ill in my entire life!
Rorychops managed to avoid it but has now come down with a bad chesty cold himself so last week or so has been horrific in my house.

Rory is 15 months, I think he is only about half a month behind wee Harry :) They are just amazing aren't they? Like Harry, Rory is now up on his feet. He has been doing 5/6 steps for over a week now but yesterday was his first proper walk. He went the length of grandparents house and it wasn't the typical momentum run and fall over, it was proper balanced walking. I was nearly crying and he was so impressed with himself. Words cannot explain the feelings.

Speaking wise, everything is a dog. Or as we say up here and as he says it "DUG". Horses, goldfishes, women in Tesco. He calls them all dugs..... Only other word is "jeece". which doesn't actually mean juice, it means toast. Lad is a toast demon.

Soldato
Keep bikes simple is my opinion!

Didn't get out a club run I often join as it's the weekend with the Mrs but I directed her to play Ark and jumped out for a wee hour. Some epic wind around and had me sat at 20mph average for the first half of the ride until I turned and was doing 13mph for the rest, I'm sure I saw 7mph FAR too often haha. Made a point of hitting this road with a bang on tailwind https://www.strava.com/activities/2076424063/segments/52354007694 still can't beat Ross but he's a dick so.....

I went out Sunday morning and really had to fight the wind in places. Wasn't a day for deep rims with some nasty crosswinds.

Soldato
<snip>
Any ideas? Looks like I’ll get one more ride out of them before they are bin fodder. I did accidentally rebuild my front calliper so I could do it with the rear but I don’t see any problem that could be fixed!
Was something I always saw but several years ago now... Always assumed it was to do with the way the springs in the dual pivot calipers worked - they tension the 1 side more than the other, so although you get 'contact' both sides, when increasing pressure it's unbalanced. I noticed it more because I was using some cheap 'salmon' pads from Amazon that I think Grudas linked. Dirt cheap. Then when I wore a set from around 70% to nothing on a filthy group ride (and ground the inside arms of my calipers against the rim) I realised why! :rolleyes:

Managed 52km on Saturday. Actually encountered some hills which caused some huffing and puffing!

Just need to stick to it! I definitely need to find and do a 100km route before the 160km velo.
Just keep building! Gradual and getting your body used to recovering from the increased load is important. Good stuff :)

God I love bikes. First my eTap battery goes AWOL during the week, then I forget to install the replacement for yesterday’s ride which leaves me running a single ring for 3 hours, then to top it off today I’m doing some maintenance and the rear mech decides it’s just going to die randomly. Shift light is blinking but nothing is happening. Still in warranty but FFS.
Rubbish! Many ways to do diagnosis on eTap? I know you can plug DI2 in so there's various things in software to test/diagnose. So maybe I assumed eTap would be similar with error codes and such?

I might be able to push the boat out and spend £1k on wheels, the two sets I’m looking at are the Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc Wheelset and the Zipp 302 Disc Wheelset. I will also need to get new centrelock rotors as mine are 6 bolt, I have no plans to go tubeless so the fact the Zipps aren’t tubeless isn’t important. My head says Hunt as they seem better spec. Well reviewed and you get more for your money but my heart says Zipp because they’re Zipp and I do like a bit of bling!
Love my bling too! But before sinking that much on wheels it would probably be best to explain your requirements and why you ended up with that choice. There might be better ones! :)

302 are quite a mid-range of Zipps if I recall? Not that deep, or light, but good price:quality?

Last edited:
Soldato

Where about in Birmingham are you? I have some good 100km-ish routes from when I was riding in a cycling club, but they're mainly the south side.

Also hello, the last time I was in here 2-3 months ago telling myself I'd get back on the bike... I didn't! Go lazy me!
Managed to get on the bike yesterday to see how far I could actually manage, did a whopping 9.5miles. :D

Velo Birmingham will be an interesting time.

Soldato
Where about in Birmingham are you? I have some good 100km-ish routes from when I was riding in a cycling club, but they're mainly the south side.

Also hello, the last time I was in here 2-3 months ago telling myself I'd get back on the bike... I didn't! Go lazy me!
Managed to get on the bike yesterday to see how far I could actually manage, did a whopping 9.5miles. :D

Based in Harborne so South is easy for me to get to. It’s good that you’re on the bike at least! I don’t think I’d used my road bike for 12 months prior to my jaunt to Stratford the other day.

Soldato
Rorychops managed to avoid it but has now come down with a bad chesty cold himself so last week or so has been horrific in my house.

Rory is 15 months, I think he is only about half a month behind wee Harry :) They are just amazing aren't they? Like Harry, Rory is now up on his feet. He has been doing 5/6 steps for over a week now but yesterday was his first proper walk. He went the length of grandparents house and it wasn't the typical momentum run and fall over, it was proper balanced walking. I was nearly crying and he was so impressed with himself. Words cannot explain the feelings.

Speaking wise, everything is a dog. Or as we say up here and as he says it "DUG". Horses, goldfishes, women in Tesco. He calls them all dugs..... Only other word is "jeece". which doesn't actually mean juice, it means toast. Lad is a toast demon.
Good call Rory avoiding dads illness! We've been lucky with Harry too. But kinda the reverse happened here - Harry getting ill at Nursery (generally while teething) than passing it on to us...!

How's Rory's teething going?
We've had a pretty miserable 3-4 months as it's been constant. Literally getting over 1 set of teeth, then less than a week later the next set causing grief. These current ones (lower canines) have been really nasty. Previous teeth = a bit of ear pulling, maybe a wake up earlier in the night (10-11pm) but a bit of teething gel before bed (+ wake up) getting him through most nights, then waking up at 6am. For a couple of days, while getting a bit of a sniffle/cold, then the tooth breaks through the gum and he's generally back to normal. These canines (upper and lower) have been 2 weeks before coming through the gum - with him having huge mood swings throughout the days along with the usual sniffles/cold also having a pretty erratic temperature. Sleep generally the same but 2-3 wake ups at various times, with him regularly awake at 5-5:30am. Broken sleep and the early wake ups have really hurt us! :(

We measured him at 40 degrees (!) at one point over the weekend and got ready to head down to hospital if it didn't drop, thankfully 15 minutes later it was 38.2. He'll be his usual self, then the world ends and he's literally in tears being very hard to comfort, more frequently when tired. It's heartbreaking! Then 5 mins later he's grabbed a car/train/book/toy and is back to chatting and playing. It's like a mini whirlwind with PMT. He's off his food some mealtimes too - when all the way along has been a fantastic eater. We've actually succumbed to giving him a chocolate button (the smaller milky bar white ones) occasionally to distract/comfort him. Not great habit I know but it's worked and he's so active he's burning the sugar off I'm sure (and loves brushing his teeth multiple times per day!).

Back to more positives - Harry is a little ahead of Rory with his walking, but he was very early (took 5-6 steps unaided the day before his 1st Birthday). Once he figured out he could stand, he wanted to do that everywhere, basically giving up crawling overnight. He'll regularly (couple of times a week) walk a whole dog walk of 0.4 miles (takes about half an hour at his pace lol). You'll see this very soon with Rory - in the space of probably 2 weeks we went from 'wobbling' with his hands up/out walking in mostly straight lines bouncing off things and tripping loads. To walking around with his hands by his sides, or carrying something, cornering well avoiding things and even looking different directions while walking around. Then maybe a week later running around. It's scary how quick it came about! Harrys favourite is walking backwards pulling a little wooden train with a bit of string around. The concentration is incredible but as it's a train you build with wooden blocks it tips easily (and they fall off) so if he catches corners/goes too fast it tips and he has to stop and rebuild it. He'll spend 20 minutes or more carefully walking backwards around the dining table a couple of times and around various rooms... Not making a sound, just 100% concentration on what he's doing. Although his favourite toy (which probably massively helped progress his walking) has been a push along wooden thing which cost a few quid from ebay (cheap version of this). These simple wooden toys have had more use than the expensive battery noisy/flashy toot toot cars (we now have a garage and about 8 of)... :rolleyes:

Rory is ahead of Harry when it comes to talking, we have a vocabulary of maybe 3-4 words at the moment (and the last month). Although occasionally get a very similar noise to what we're trying to replicate (usually when we least expect it). We think we've heard 'thankyou', 'please', 'lorry', 'tractor' and 'cat'. But only very quick mumble type words which he won't repeat again. He's really teasing us, haha!

Haha ok that's enough baby talk for here, it's mad how obsessed you become with them/what they're up to isn't it? :D

Another recent thing is whenever he gets a coin (see's one on the side you have to get him/mums purse falls off the coffee table and one falls out), he'll take it to the stairs and demand you open the baby gate. Then he crawls up the stairs (safety net of worried parent behind), goes to his room and points at his moneybox on the shelf. You fetch it down, he puts coin in the slot (it's a metal dinosaur), claps and looks very pleased with himself! Amazingly cute the first couple of times - gets kinda tiring when the money was put on the side (out of the way from him) from someones pocket for car parking duties... We now have to go 'borrow' money from his moneybox (without him knowing)... lol

Haha I did see you'd only done a few rides the last ~6 months buddy! Come baaaaack! You're doing Velo I guess?

Last edited:
Soldato
Love my bling too! But before sinking that much on wheels it would probably be best to explain your requirements and why you ended up with that choice. There might be better ones! :)

302 are quite a mid-range of Zipps if I recall? Not that deep, or light, but good price:quality?

Just general club rides along mostly rolling roads, looking to do more climbing and audaxes. I have my heart set on some carbon wheels at least 40mm deep but no deeper than 50mm as I don’t want to get blown about!

The 302’s are 45mm deep

Associate
Zipp 302 are narrower than their more expensive siblings. BUT...they are good enough for Canyon-Sram team as training wheels, they are probably good enough for us:

http://www.wmncycling.com/equipment/

i would recommend have a look at Hambini's blog on aero wheels. The article caused quite a stir in some online forums but interesting none the less:

https://www.hambini.com/blog/

disclaimer: i use 302 front with 404 firecrest rear (disc brake).

EDIT: would u consider second hand wheels? there are some pretty good deals on second hand Enve's on ebay. i suspect is because it's end of riding season and people looking to change to newer version with Enve's own hubs.

Back
Top Bottom