Road Cycling

Soldato
I'm going to play devil advocate a bit, but... :D
Just general club rides along mostly rolling roads
Perfect for that.
looking to do more climbing
They're not great for that as quite heavy. You don't need a wheel as aero for climbing, something less aero will be lighter.
and audaxes.
Not great for that, but depends on your audax - the majority being long distance over questionable terrain a narrow carbon wheel is not a great choice for. A wider rim would give you more comfort and better grip.
I have my heart set on some carbon wheels at least 40mm deep but no deeper than 50mm as I don’t want to get blown about!
That requirement only matches 1 of your points above. ;)

Not trying to put you off but by taking your requirements slightly further/to the extreme will generally answer things (like above) and allow you to be a little more objective. So rather than having 1 new wheelset and trying to cover all of your planned riding (generally then sightly compromising some/most of it from trying to cover everything), consider running 2 wheelsets. You gain the flexibility then of a wider/tougher and alloy set better suited to the audaxes and probably more than suitable for the general club riding. You can then focus on a lighter carbon set for your climbing, or a deeper more aero set for TT's/fast club rides. You may even have the first set already (current/factory wheels) after putting some wider/tougher rubber on them (figuring you've been club riding on them ok so far). Could even call them your 'winter' set, with the lighter carbon climbing wheels your 'summer' set. So a 202 might be better suited (being the lightest clincher Zipp do). :cool:

And that's coming from me, where I have '1 wheelset for everything', being Zipp 30 course. Not that light, not that aero, but wide, tough and comfortable.

disclaimer: i use 302 front with 404 firecrest rear (disc brake).

EDIT: would u consider second hand wheels? there are some pretty good deals on second hand Enve's on ebay. i suspect is because it's end of riding season and people looking to change to newer version with Enve's own hubs.
Would be interested in why you chose a 302 over a 303 for your front (the much more common choice)? Cost is about the only reason I can think of?

What deals on Enve's? Link em up! :D

The zipp tax factor on those 302s.... ouch
They're not bad, whole wheelset for ~£1000? They're £500 or more cheaper than a set of 303's.

Soldato
Good call Rory avoiding dads illness! We've been lucky with Harry too. But kinda the reverse happened here - Harry getting ill at Nursery (generally while teething) than passing it on to us...!

How's Rory's teething going?
We've had a pretty miserable 3-4 months as it's been constant. Literally getting over 1 set of teeth, then less than a week later the next set causing grief. These current ones (lower canines) have been really nasty. Previous teeth = a bit of ear pulling, maybe a wake up earlier in the night (10-11pm) but a bit of teething gel before bed (+ wake up) getting him through most nights, then waking up at 6am. For a couple of days, while getting a bit of a sniffle/cold, then the tooth breaks through the gum and he's generally back to normal. These canines (upper and lower) have been 2 weeks before coming through the gum - with him having huge mood swings throughout the days along with the usual sniffles/cold also having a pretty erratic temperature. Sleep generally the same but 2-3 wake ups at various times, with him regularly awake at 5-5:30am. Broken sleep and the early wake ups have really hurt us! :(

We measured him at 40 degrees (!) at one point over the weekend and got ready to head down to hospital if it didn't drop, thankfully 15 minutes later it was 38.2. He'll be his usual self, then the world ends and he's literally in tears being very hard to comfort, more frequently when tired. It's heartbreaking! Then 5 mins later he's grabbed a car/train/book/toy and is back to chatting and playing. It's like a mini whirlwind with PMT. He's off his food some mealtimes too - when all the way along has been a fantastic eater. We've actually succumbed to giving him a chocolate button (the smaller milky bar white ones) occasionally to distract/comfort him. Not great habit I know but it's worked and he's so active he's burning the sugar off I'm sure (and loves brushing his teeth multiple times per day!).

Back to more positives - Harry is a little ahead of Rory with his walking, but he was very early (took 5-6 steps unaided the day before his 1st Birthday). Once he figured out he could stand, he wanted to do that everywhere, basically giving up crawling overnight. He'll regularly (couple of times a week) walk a whole dog walk of 0.4 miles (takes about half an hour at his pace lol). You'll see this very soon with Rory - in the space of probably 2 weeks we went from 'wobbling' with his hands up/out walking in mostly straight lines bouncing off things and tripping loads. To walking around with his hands by his sides, or carrying something, cornering well avoiding things and even looking different directions while walking around. Then maybe a week later running around. It's scary how quick it came about! Harrys favourite is walking backwards pulling a little wooden train with a bit of string around. The concentration is incredible but as it's a train you build with wooden blocks it tips easily (and they fall off) so if he catches corners/goes too fast it tips and he has to stop and rebuild it. He'll spend 20 minutes or more carefully walking backwards around the dining table a couple of times and around various rooms... Not making a sound, just 100% concentration on what he's doing. Although his favourite toy (which probably massively helped progress his walking) has been a push along wooden thing which cost a few quid from ebay (cheap version of this). These simple wooden toys have had more use than the expensive battery noisy/flashy toot toot cars (we now have a garage and about 8 of)... :rolleyes:

Rory is ahead of Harry when it comes to talking, we have a vocabulary of maybe 3-4 words at the moment (and the last month). Although occasionally get a very similar noise to what we're trying to replicate (usually when we least expect it). We think we've heard 'thankyou', 'please', 'lorry', 'tractor' and 'cat'. But only very quick mumble type words which he won't repeat again. He's really teasing us, haha!

Haha ok that's enough baby talk for here, it's mad how obsessed you become with them/what they're up to isn't it? :D

Ah sounds a nightmare with the teething! Although, I can echo most of what you have said with the whirlwind changes from screaming to happily playing and laughing.... We still getting some ear pulling and hand in mouth a lot but he has been doing it fro what feels like months and still only has his 4 front teeth. He's had them for ages now but no sign at all in his gob of any other teeth yet we get all the same as you are..... Luckily though, Jo will get a sleep to 9 and sometimes even 10am in mornings with Rory but he does have 1-2 wakeups for a feed in middle of night still. We are getting the odd 1-2 nights per week where he sleeps right through from 7 till 8-9am.

What are you measuring Harry's temperature with when he is poorly? One of the in ear things?
Jo is a childrens nurse which helps massively and we have an in ear thermo thing but it is so widly different every time you measure and she says they are borderline pointless to even have in the house.

Oh the wooden toys are superb. His favourite toy from Xmas is a wooden pole that he slots the wooden circle pieces onto in size order. Never mind all the plastic masses of stuff he got, absolutely loves playing with wooden blocks and wooden train. He is obsessed with putting things in places. Like putting wooden blocks in the wooden box he has then tipping it all out and starting again. He loves books as well, I read Jack and Jill to him 8 times on the trot the other morning! :)

Rory has been saying dog, cat, yes, ta, that, tree, dadda, mumma for about 2 months! The most recent thing is the JEECE which means toast and he now says "birdies" and does the sign for it when looking out the window. Jo took him to sing and sign for months so money well spent as he can do the sign for birds ha!

It's going to be amazing when he can do what wee Harry does and go for walks around the street with the dog etc. That's crazy your wee guy was taking those steps so soon around his 1 year birthday. And nowt wrong with rambling on about them at all. Seeing your little one develop has to be the coolest damn thing a human can ever experience. It's great our two are so close together as well :)

Associate
that is indeed the case, it was all down to cost. Winstanley Bikes was offering front 302 disc brake for 349 around November last year. :D:D:D:D

for the lower cost, i am accepting it's a cheaper hub and narrower rim profile but as a front wheel, im not too bothered. (i think the dimple finishing on higher models are....marketing only lol)

at this moment, i have on my ebay watch list a pair of ENVE SES 3.4 clincher and 2.2 tub's (but i have no intention to bid/buy) both under 1k. the 2.2 are brand new from Aus seller so tax needs to be accounted for, but they are brand new and close to 1k....cant ask for more!

i have no problem with Hunt's lower profile stuff but i think at higher depth, careful matching tyres to rim is required.

Soldato
National CX Championship this weekend at Cyclopark in Gravesend
– a purpose built cycling heaven with bmx tracks, mtb routes, road course and loads more!

As the nationals are a two day thing I went up on the Saturday to cheer on my club mates in the Junior, Vet 40 and Vet 50 races as well as help with any pit duties that may be required – luckily due to the dry weather there was very little need to assist as the course rolled well and bikes stayed very clean. Once the Saturday races had finished I had 3 practise laps of the course! Taking it easy and not taking too much out of my legs but trying to learn the course.

Start Finish Straight at the top of the big hill!
gQ1jYw4.jpg

Riding it I knew it would be fast and frenetic throughout! Being a UCI conditions race I knew I would get pulled out of the race as they operate an 80% rule based on the leaders lap times, if you fall below this you’re removed to avoid getting in the leaders race. Unfortunately in my race I had Tom Pidcock, the current U23 leader of Cyclo Cross World Cup….

Warm up laps didn’t go so well as I attempted one section I burped my tyre and came off – luckily very slowly, took it on the chin laughing at myself :D Hopefully getting it out the way on Saturday would mean I wouldn’t do it on Sunday!

So Sunday rolled around and after a very average sleep I got up to the track for about 11:00 to watch some of the junior races prior, some overnight rain had made the transitions to Tarmac slippy but the strong westerly wind meant this was drying out quick. I got signed on and got my chip number – 11 or 911 (race 9 – no 11). Due to my lowly points I was gridded on the backrow – 80 out of 85 riders. (15 DNS’)

Got to about 12:45 and I went to go get ready putting my numbers on and setting up my turbo etc. I had lots of spare time compared to usual as I wasn’t need to pit like I normally would on a Sunday. Nerves had sort of gone by this point though as I just was trying to enjoy it and realised it’s just like a normal Sunday race just on a grander scale!

After getting the turbo set up and all my kit ready to go I jumped on my turbo at about 13:35 – 55 or so minutes before my race, extra early knowing my effort in the race would be as hard as I could from the off aiming to get to 40 minutes before being pulled. So I added long slow spin to get going and then moved into my normal warmup about 10 minutes later. Warm up finished about 14:05 quick change out of wheel and off I ride to the start pushing through the crowds.

I keep my legs moving and few small sprints to keep warm and the gridding started at about 14:15, whilst I was waiting the commissaire came round and was checking wheels and decided my tyres were too wide even though the measuring block went over, so I went to swap wheels to my more intermediate tyres. Just want you want! This got my nerves going again! But I had plenty of time and was back on the grid by 14:20.

As I lined up on the grid I couldn’t even see the front riders, but got ready for the long uphill drag to the first corner – picking an outside line based on feedback I got from the day before!

Lap 1

We were off! – Or not as the guy 2 places directly in front of me wasn’t paying attention and didn’t start which meant I had to put my foot back down. I took the start relatively tentatively as we hit the first corner knowing that people would be pushing and shoving and no doubt falling off – and I was right! The first transition to mud was carnage as I passed a good 5 or 6 people on the deck, I then moved passed another 3 or 4 in the next corner either in a crash or tangled up and then once again on the 3rd corner. I had jumped a good 10 places at least and was up to about 70th and could see my normal Sunday competitors only a few places ahead. I worked my balls off and made up places knowing I had to dig deep for as long as possible.

The change to the intermediate tyres which I’d never ridden before was actually a godsend as I had plenty of grip and they weren’t draggy at all on the flat smooth tarmac! As the first lap went past I was onto the back of my Wessex crew.

Lap 2

I went with these guys for the next half a lap or so, as I was on the back part of the course I thought my tyre was going flat but it seemed to stabilise so I pushed on as I passed the pits, unfortunately as I passed the start finish and hit the bridge it let out a bit more air (tubeless) and this meant I was running around seriously underinflated but still rideable luckily, albeit slowly, losing 4 or 5 positions, I pushed on to the pits where I swapped over bikes! This was set up with mud tyres, but I worked to get back to the group where I was, which I achieved in about half a lap, as I passed the pits again I didn’t think my bike would be ready, so I avoided it, but it was with my crew reinflating the tyre. Climbing up the steep slope I made up a few places as one person didn’t make it up which meant 2 more behind had to jump off! I was lucking into places but I wasn’t going to complain.

Up the start finish straight was such hard work this time around, but I got onto another group at the top of the straight and then used those for a bit of relief – I was on the limit.

Lap 3

First part of the lap felt like recovery – sat on some wheels and got back on to my Canyon at the pits. Tyres felt good so on the next section I got back on to the wheels and tried to work my way back up the positions I lost and time lost changing bikes – getting back to riders by the end of the next straight! It was a bit one by one for the next section- but as soon as it opened up I pulled past 2 riders, and then back into the main arena, going past one of my riders on the banked turn after the sand, and clearing the hurdles immediately after and smashing it up the next section into the big hill. Keeping to the right where the grip was I rode up it again but one guy on the left didn’t meaning 2 riders immediately behind him had to jump off! Bonus! Going up the straight I powered past another 3 riders.

Lap 4

As I was at the front I pushed as hard as possible to try to make it the 10seconds or so up to my main competitor in the normal Sunday league race. I was slowly catching him with my nose in the wind! And had one guy with me, he tried to go past on the straight but I chucked it in deep on the brakes to keep my position through the narrow section, he went past as it opened out a few corners later. This lap went in a blur and as I passed the pits for the second time I heard that the 80% board was out and I would be pulled at the end of this lap. Knowing this I smashed it up the big hill and repassed that rider and then as it flattened out one more! And I could see 2 more positions mere seconds ahead, so I smashed it allll the way up the start finish straight – unfortunately no more positions made! But just 2 or 3 seconds behind guys gridded 30 places further up from me. Not bad for 2 pitstops in a dry race.

My final position was 64th overall and 39th in my category – with most of the top 10 being locked out by U23s!

I was exhausted but very happy, although I didn’t hit my target of 40 minutes, but the pace of Pidcock at the front was relentless – lapping in 6 minute 30s – our leagues current leader got pulled 3 laps from the end in 23rd place – our league being one of the strongest in the UK.. Showing the difference in capability of the guys who are racing internationally!

The level of organisation was brilliant and the course although crazy fast was great – I was disappointed it wasn’t wet as this would have suited me with what would have been a number of running sections!

The race is here from about 4:16:00 onwards with my name check a few minutes later!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRLoU-j_0Y&feature=youtu.be

No point seeing my strava as I forgot to start it and only got about half my race – but max HR 190 and average of 180 when I was recording!

Needless to say I’m aching a lot today, my left leg felt like it had been hit when I was riding in this morning!
Absolutely insane effort and huge result, well deserved after your recent form. You seem to have found some very progressive consistency in your CX which is really paying off! Training is working well! :)

I had quite a long day on the bike yesterday, and finally ticked off one of my cycling bucket list items - Everesting (albeit virtually)
I tried it once before on the other big climb in Watopia, but this was before Alpe du Zwift was released. I also went way too hard, and only lasted about half way up. Lesson learnt this time, as I was aiming to keep to a strict maximum of Z2 all the way, which is a comfortable recovery/endurance pace for me.

Surprisingly, the time went relatively quickly for the first half, as always Netflix was keeping me distracted.
For some reason, Zwift lost connection to the internet about a third of the way through, so I was riding alone (hence the KOM jersey). Thankfully the ride did save properly at the end!

(sorry I didn't resize the screenshot!)

HWxbGz9.png

I continued on to 9000m to finish on a nice even number. 10,000m would have been achievable but it was already getting late. Maybe next time!

Strava link too - https://www.strava.com/activities/2078732852
Some mega riding from both of you. Huge kudos! Really can't easily explain how much of a lift that gives me at this time of year. Same for many of you, here's me struggling to get the miles in, then when I do (Tour de Zwift) feeling really fatigued and almost under the weather thinking that illness is going to ruin any little progress I'm making (although feeling better today, thankfully!). Seeing you guys put in some monster rides/efforts rather than discourages me, seems to give me determination. So thanks for that - not sure if I say that enough, so there you are! :D :)

the thick end of 200g heavier than the hunts he was comparing them to though
Yup, wasn't saying they where any lighter! Hubs would be better in the Zipps though, so the Hunts maybe less of a premium option. Although that does mean the additional weight might be on the rims rather than the hubs? Which would make the Zipps less attractive as if it's +200g rotational weight, is probably noticeable between 1500-1700g wheelsets...? Gah!

Ah sounds a nightmare with the teething! Although, I can echo most of what you have said with the whirlwind changes from screaming to happily playing and laughing.... We still getting some ear pulling and hand in mouth a lot but he has been doing it fro what feels like months and still only has his 4 front teeth. He's had them for ages now but no sign at all in his gob of any other teeth yet we get all the same as you are..... Luckily though, Jo will get a sleep to 9 and sometimes even 10am in mornings with Rory but he does have 1-2 wakeups for a feed in middle of night still. We are getting the odd 1-2 nights per week where he sleeps right through from 7 till 8-9am.

What are you measuring Harry's temperature with when he is poorly? One of the in ear things?
Jo is a childrens nurse which helps massively and we have an in ear thermo thing but it is so widly different every time you measure and she says they are borderline pointless to even have in the house.

Oh the wooden toys are superb. His favourite toy from Xmas is a wooden pole that he slots the wooden circle pieces onto in size order. Never mind all the plastic masses of stuff he got, absolutely loves playing with wooden blocks and wooden train. He is obsessed with putting things in places. Like putting wooden blocks in the wooden box he has then tipping it all out and starting again. He loves books as well, I read Jack and Jill to him 8 times on the trot the other morning! :)

Rory has been saying dog, cat, yes, ta, that, tree, dadda, mumma for about 2 months! The most recent thing is the JEECE which means toast and he now says "birdies" and does the sign for it when looking out the window. Jo took him to sing and sign for months so money well spent as he can do the sign for birds ha!

It's going to be amazing when he can do what wee Harry does and go for walks around the street with the dog etc. That's crazy your wee guy was taking those steps so soon around his 1 year birthday. And nowt wrong with rambling on about them at all. Seeing your little one develop has to be the coolest damn thing a human can ever experience. It's great our two are so close together as well :)
Teething has been utterly brutal to be fair. We still have our little happy boy, but then as we've been quite spoilt until now - good sleeper, good eater, crazy happy. It's really hurting/noticeable when he's not his 'normal' self! That's pretty heartbreaking, which I'm sure you can sympathise about! :o :(

Sounds like Rory is well ahead of Harry when it comes to talking, which is totally expected - many of the books/info/advice explain how some kids concentrate on speech or walking, not really progressing both at the same time. Especially boys! Until a few days ago we probably hadn't had a new word for 3 maybe 4 weeks. He completely stopped even trying to say anything new! But now after a few days of the walking progress tailing off, he's come back to more speech. We had 'digger' last night and Laura is sure he said 'please' when she asked him if he wanted more to eat earlier in the day. Rory identifying, then saying Birdies and signing correctly is superb stuff!

Harry has always seemed to make quick physical progress, even from new born he was pretty much strong enough to hold his head up. Certainly less than 7 days. He wasn't a huge fan of 'tummy time' but then progressed to being able to roll front to side, then to his back to 'escape' from doing it (ideal)! He's always loved music and they do lots of singing at nursery (couple of the staff are very musical), but he doesn't seem to want to sing along just yet, only listen.

Yeah great to hear how others are getting along, even better for two so close in age! We're really lucky as have friends with kids 3 & 6 months older than Harry, but them being girls it's very hard to compare. One of them (18 months old) is still having night time breast feeds! We have milk morning and night but it's just standard semi skimmed stuff in a spoutless 'sippy-rim' non-spill cup. He's been drinking out the same for months as we switched very quickly from 'teat' type bottles, to spouts to these, almost as soon as we started Nursery. We have neighbours with a boy 3 months younger than Harry, so are quickly becoming friends (play-dates) as it will be awesome for them to be friends and grow up together (as they live almost literally opposite us!). :cool:

that is indeed the case, it was all down to cost. Winstanley Bikes was offering front 302 disc brake for 349 around November last year. :D:D:D:D

for the lower cost, i am accepting it's a cheaper hub and narrower rim profile but as a front wheel, im not too bothered. (i think the dimple finishing on higher models are....marketing only lol)

at this moment, i have on my ebay watch list a pair of ENVE SES 3.4 clincher and 2.2 tub's (but i have no intention to bid/buy) both under 1k. the 2.2 are brand new from Aus seller so tax needs to be accounted for, but they are brand new and close to 1k....cant ask for more!

i have no problem with Hunt's lower profile stuff but i think at higher depth, careful matching tyres to rim is required.
£349 for the front was a great deal, can see why you took that over a £600+ 303!

Dimples might be mostly marketing - but they look so damn cool it's hard to imagine 'Firecrest' without them...! SES 3.4 under £1k is a great deal and one I would be tempted at over a 303 setup... Providing it was a DT 240 hub too. Doubt a CK45 would be that cheap?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, wasn't saying they where any lighter! Hubs would be better in the Zipps though, so the Hunts maybe less of a premium option. Although that does mean the additional weight might be on the rims rather than the hubs? Which would make the Zipps less attractive as if it's +200g rotational weight, is probably noticeable between 1500-1700g wheelsets...? Gah!

Zipp's form on hubs isn't great really.

Soldato
Really? My LBS rate the newer ones. The 177D in my 30 course they really liked after commenting they where surprised the cheaper alloy wheelset came with it (same hub as the 303).

Associate
£349 for the front was a great deal, can see why you took that over a £600+ 303!

Dimples might be mostly marketing - but they look so damn cool it's hard to imagine 'Firecrest' without them...! SES 3.4 under £1k is a great deal and one I would be tempted at over a 303 setup... Providing it was a DT 240 hub too. Doubt a CK45 would be that cheap?!
yea, it was very good deal. although if my bike is rim brake i may have to think twice again because Firecrest 2019 has showstopper brake track which will further differentiate the FC line from the lower tier 302 line. But for disc brake, no such concern.

Soldato
Reminder of the danger of riding in the dark this evening and also keeping that Monkey and your testosterone in it's box! Luckily not mine.

Was riding home following my intervals this evening at a nice easy Z2 and passed a guy on a mountain bike, who then sat on for a few minutes before shooting off over the top of a hill, he got about 10seconds down the road went into a corner far too quickly and came skidding off! Luckily no damage to him or his bike but can imagine he was quite embarassed! Was dry evening but this time of year still that horrible layer on top that takes away a bit of grip when you're pushing bit too hard. Stay safe!

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the advise regarding my carbon wheel obsession! Firstly sorry I forgot I made a thread about wheels doh! I have a winter bike with Aksium Race wheels and GP4000s which I’m more than happy with for bad weather riding. My summer bike (2018 Ribble Gran Fondo) is the one I want the wheels for, currently it has the stock Fulcrum Racing DB wheels with Vittoria Corsa Control G+ tyres on tyres are great wheels not so much.

I’ve tried looking for used wheels but not easy when looking for DB specific, I did look at Zuus 50mm Carbon wheels for under £500 but with no reviews other than fake sounding customer ones I turned away and I’m a bit dubious about Chinese wheels. Again I’m drawn to Hunt because they get great reviews across the board, they’re wide, lite and look nice in a understated way and come with good warranty, the Zipps well it would be cool to own a pair of Zipps, someone in my club has Firecrest 404s and he rides them everywhere, in fact he’s ridding across Columbia at the moment and I’m in awe of them but never thought I’d be able to afford a pair of Zipps! While I can’t afford 404s I’d still have Zipps :)

I’m looking at this as mostly having a nice bike for sunny dry days and not so much to make me a quicker, better rider although it would help!

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the advise regarding my carbon wheel obsession! Firstly sorry I forgot I made a thread about wheels doh! I have a winter bike with Aksium Race wheels and GP4000s which I’m more than happy with for bad weather riding. My summer bike (2018 Ribble Gran Fondo) is the one I want the wheels for, currently it has the stock Fulcrum Racing DB wheels with Vittoria Corsa Control G+ tyres on tyres are great wheels not so much.

I’ve tried looking for used wheels but not easy when looking for DB specific, I did look at Zuus 50mm Carbon wheels for under £500 but with no reviews other than fake sounding customer ones I turned away and I’m a bit dubious about Chinese wheels. Again I’m drawn to Hunt because they get great reviews across the board, they’re wide, lite and look nice in a understated way and come with good warranty, the Zipps well it would be cool to own a pair of Zipps, someone in my club has Firecrest 404s and he rides them everywhere, in fact he’s ridding across Columbia at the moment and I’m in awe of them but never thought I’d be able to afford a pair of Zipps! While I can’t afford 404s I’d still have Zipps :)

I’m looking at this as mostly having a nice bike for sunny dry days and not so much to make me a quicker, better rider although it would help!

If your heart wants the bling factor of Zipps, then go for it.

If you're looking for value, then ordering direct from China is pretty much unbeatable. I considered going down that route last summer for my disc wheels but decided I was happy with the additional cost to have some built in the UK.

I exchanged e-mails with a number of wheel builders including Mike at 23mm.co.uk who is Derby based, so he is near to you. He has a number of choices and there's some samples on his website

eg https://23mm.co.uk/alistairs-venn-carbon-on-bitex/ which he says were under £780

As posted in your other thread, I went custom from David @ DCR Wheels. Any chance to post a picture of them again :D They were £880 from memory (excluding rotors and tyres) - carbon 50mm rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

FB7K1Lhl.jpg

{Edit to say I have since cleaned the patio and got rid of that moss!}

I'll happily send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet which I put together last year. That has about 60 disc wheelsets (lots of different brands), ranging from £150 to £2230 and compares weights, hubs, spoke type & count, disc rotor fitment, tubeless, axle type and more Yes, I'm that sad! :D

Soldato
Reminder of the danger of riding in the dark this evening and also keeping that Monkey and your testosterone in it's box! Luckily not mine.

Was riding home following my intervals this evening at a nice easy Z2 and passed a guy on a mountain bike, who then sat on for a few minutes before shooting off over the top of a hill, he got about 10seconds down the road went into a corner far too quickly and came skidding off! Luckily no damage to him or his bike but can imagine he was quite embarassed! Was dry evening but this time of year still that horrible layer on top that takes away a bit of grip when you're pushing bit too hard. Stay safe!

Yeah i don't corner well at all this time of year for that reason.

Went to practise for the 2up on an unlit bit of road, a badger ran infront of us just as we set off and we missed it thankfully.

Brutally strong wind on the way out meaning 15ish mph/20 min for 10 miles! Turned and was around 28mph average/10ish minute return leg.

Out
https://www.strava.com/activities/2081125357/segments/52472526867

Back
https://www.strava.com/activities/2081125357/segments/52472530222

I hope to **** the actual 2up has less wind.

Soldato
Was dry evening but this time of year still that horrible layer on top that takes away a bit of grip

Yup... I heard of 4-5 people I know coming down on the weekend and myself. On no accounts were people pushing hard. I was braking in straight lines upright and had front wheel slides. Eventually I came down on half gravel/half road, snapped a shifter, and collected some road rash.

Soldato
Soldato
It got the heart rate up anyway so that's a bonus.

I panicked when i saw i still had to pay for tbis TT but I'm the 2nd rider on my mates entry so panic over.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/19426

ah the ice breaker!
No way I am entering a TT in mid February when such travel is involved. It's always a very dicey one to enter that.
Good news for you is that by me not entering it is guaranteed to be a out of the ordinary February day with crazy sunshine and 15 degree's.... If I enter, it would end up being -5 and snowing = cancelled :p

Soldato

Haha, that's one reason I guess why so much goes through this thread - most of us only reading here rather than the subforum? I know I certainly don't. Maybe once every week or two tops! Then again things posted in here can get missed as we're quite an active lot and the conversations here tend to flow around various subjects at the same time!

What's the problem with the Fulcrum Racing DB? I'd have considered one of the better budget DB wheelsets. But they are equally nothing special. Zuus are well recommended but have to say I've not seen/heard as much about them as I'd expect - everyone seems to go the Hunt or Chinese carbon route. The riders local to me here having lots of nightmares with the various cheap wiggle offerings have generally then gone for Hunts and been happy. Think @ThaReaperGuy is the only person here with Zuus? His are a year or two old now but don't recall any mention of any problems.

Zipps are nice, same with any of the 'premium' brands. There is a little bit of 'you get what you pay for', maybe not in spec, but in materials, reviews and reliability 'off the shelf'. To be fair I like a bit of bling so having a named wheelset was one of my requirements - I'd even gone as far as requesting from DCR what logo's he could supply on a custom build we talked through, but he drew a bit of a blank, the only logos being really boring/plain square stickers (that is one thing that Zuus have going for them, a loud logo!). I ended up with Zipp 30 course as could find lots of good info about them, being able to secure a good price on them (my LBS could pricematch any online deal as Zipp would ensure they still got their margin) and very little time waiting (no 'build time'). So I obviously paid a little more for those things and the fancy logo, than if I'd gone for Hunts. I also wanted to go for a wide set, tubeless and tough for everything. A real every day wheelset and at £630 I couldn't really justify compromising on something. The Hunts (at the time) would've been £450/500 but either deeper and narrower, or wider and shallower. As they didn't do the 'aero wide' set at the time. Also 10 week buildtime.

If your heart wants the bling factor of Zipps, then go for it.
This can be quite important - spending on a wheelset which makes you want to ride more/harder should not be overlooked. If some of that appeal is a branded logo (like me) then you have to justify to yourself the compromises in doing so (usually increased cost).

As posted in your other thread, I went custom from David @ DCR Wheels. Any chance to post a picture of them again :D They were £880 from memory (excluding rotors and tyres) - carbon 50mm rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

FB7K1Lhl.jpg

{Edit to say I have since cleaned the patio and got rid of that moss!}

I'll happily send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet which I put together last year. That has about 60 disc wheelsets (lots of different brands), ranging from £150 to £2230 and compares weights, hubs, spoke type & count, disc rotor fitment, tubeless, axle type and more Yes, I'm that sad! :D
It was a fantastic spreadsheet! Did really point some pretty obvious gaps in some of the well known brands/models if I remember?

How are your DCR wheels going anyway? Interested in how the 350's are now they've got some good miles in them. I'm still intending to get a rear at some point and the 350 was top of my list.

Yup... I heard of 4-5 people I know coming down on the weekend and myself. On no accounts were people pushing hard. I was braking in straight lines upright and had front wheel slides. Eventually I came down on half gravel/half road, snapped a shifter, and collected some road rash.
Rubbish, low temperatures or just more moisture and debris around? Heal up and hope the shifter is easy to sort and the only issue.

You can get exactly that build from Farsports for £550 (+ import tax).:D

https://www.wheelsfar.com/50mm-x-25...-wheels-with-dt350s-model-fsc50-cm-25d-1.html
Chinese carbon rims? Great build for the price. The 350 barely budged on price even though they seem to be getting quite rare now. Not sure sure why they never made it as a popular cheaper hubset to the 240s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom