1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road rage... A disorder?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dolph, 6 Jun 2006.

1. Dolph

Man of Honour

Well, according to some american psychologists it is....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/06/05/road.rage.disease.ap/index.html

Is this yet another attempt to try and rationalise and excuse unacceptable behaviour, more of the 'It's not your fault' attitude coming to the fore?

2. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Not rationalise, but pathologise and provide a sense of authority on something that doesn't require it...

I dont think there is anything distinct about road rage, from any other kind of environment whereby a person can experience social frustration - unless our psychologist friend in the article would like to prove exactly how the physiological response is different and specific...

3. AJUK

Man of Honour

People get angry in cars because of other peoples' bad driving and bad traffic management.

I'll give them 'intermittent explosive disorder'! :mad: :p

4. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

webpage-rage

5. peter_hutson

Wise Guy

Could not agree more with you, except you forgot one key objective. That being to make a shed load of money by peddling their pish. The moment they have a name for it, the moment they will start charging to treat it. When infact all most people need is to chill out a bit more.

6. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

So it's a disorder now? Fine, that way we can lay it down that people with such a disorder are obviously not safe to be driving a car.

7. Jono

Man of Honour

I've got angry in my car, caused by stupid other drivers. Probably drivers who aren't stupid any more than I get angry. Most people seem to have at least one foolish mistake/lack of judgement in them.

Funnily enough, I don't tend to get angry when people overtake (when driving in the opposite direction I'm going in) with blatantly too little room to complete the maneuvre. I'm more than happy to calmly depress the brake pedal well in advance and golfclap them as they drive past.

People cutting me up going the same way I'm going... or driving FAR too slow then speeding right up when I'm likely to overtake so I can't do so... etc.. They REALLY irritate me.

On the whole though I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to getting angry, so I don't generally bother.

Is road rage a disorder? Is it nuts!.