Road "safety" Bill, the highlights

Soldato
Muncher said:
Driving while using a mobile will now attract 3 points.

Shame that there doesn't actually appear to be any actual police on the roads to enforce it though :(
I haven't seen a copper around on the roads in ages now near me

Soldato
I try not to go 10mph over every speed limit tbh. You can still get to your destination just as quick by going the speed limit so whats the point in breaking it excessively.

I'm definitely against this new bill...personally I think it's to fund another war, i.e. invading Iran :|

Soldato
OP
Enfield said:
I try not to go 10mph over every speed limit tbh. You can still get to your destination just as quick by going the speed limit so whats the point in breaking it excessively.

As it's fun and doesn't harm anyone, therefore why restrict individual liberty?

Associate
Like most people, I don't strictly adhere to the 70mph limit on the motorway, apart from where I know there will be scameras.
When I go to see the father in law, there is a stretch of road I use that almost always has little traffic on it and I usually put my toe down if conditions dictate. There are no houses etc nearby, so no pedestrians to mow down.
One thing that does get on my nerves is those weapons that come racing up your rear when you are overtaking and sit right on your backside until you pull in, normally talking into their phone as well :rolleyes:
I'm all for the points for people on the phone, hands free kits come with almost every car nowadays and bluetooth sets are cheap enough to buy.

Just another way of taxation really, they are more than likely reliant upon the revenue from these things so they are never going to go away.

Associate
DRZ said:
I am sure I have read (perhaps from Dolph here) figures that show speeding to be the sole cause of accidents in a ridiculously small number of cases in the grand scheme of things.

Where did the above quote get their figures from?
They are quoting attributable deaths, not accidents which you refer too.

Soldato
The speeding figures are fair enough.

Hiding cameras, great :rolleyes:

But I'm still going to use my phone as there's no-one around to enforce it :p Flame me all you like but in my eyes it's no different than talking to your passengers, changing cds, lighting / smoking a fag etc

I'm not going to bother defending myself as there's probably no point and it's been done several times :)

SAY NO TO HANDSFREE! :p

Soldato
there will always be accidents, no matter what the speed limits and fine's are. an accident is an accident, normally due to poor driving skill or bad luck. (or chavness ;) ) this is just the government money grabbing, there are loads of figures to say speed cameras do nothing to help safety, which they dont. Get rid of the cameras, more police cars on the road, that will rid out some of the actually dangerous idiots, not the perfectly safe guy doing 6mph over the speed limit.

Man of Honour
and today speed saftey organization said that 1 in 33 people was within 1 sp30 off lossing there licence this has a huge effect on road saftey due to exsesive spped checks and less attention on the road..

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Muncher said:
Not to mention the removal of ACPO guidelines so 31 in a 30 will now attract points and a fine....

Oh, and they can also hide cameras....

Great. It's so easy to creep up to 31 in a 30. My only solution is to watch the speedo even more now, and just run over the kids runnning out of side streets because I'm too busy not trying to get done for speeding. :).

I don't really even speed, only by accident, but knowing I'm always going to be driving 1-2 miles away from points will make driving not fun at all.

Soldato
From the bill:

In section 38 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 (c. 3) (unified power for Secretary

of State to fund speed cameras etc.), after subsection (5) insert—

“The relevant national authority may make regulations to permit in

specified circumstances income from the enforcement of offences

under subsection (2), over and above such income as is required to

cover expenditure on the operation of a safety camera scheme, to be

used in connection with the provision by the relevant local transport

Anyone any good with legal jargon? Does this mean the excess income will go on local transport?

Arc

Arc

Associate
I may get shot down in flames here but what if everyone for a period, say 6 months, did not speed and stuck religiously to the speed limits.

Surely these "Safety Camera Partnerships" would end up in financial trouble and we may see some common sense being used.

Soldato
Arc said:
I may get shot down in flames here but what if everyone for a period, say 6 months, did not speed and stuck religiously to the speed limits.

Surely these "Safety Camera Partnerships" would end up in financial trouble and we may see some common sense being used.

Or the "safety cameras" would be hailled as a sucess. I suggest that everyone in the UK speeds everywhere for 6 months. The ensuing court cases and driving bans for all the drivers in the country would cause chaos.

Soldato
Del Lardo said:
Or the "safety cameras" would be hailled as a sucess. I suggest that everyone in the UK speeds everywhere for 6 months. The ensuing court cases and driving bans for all the drivers in the country would cause chaos.

You go first, we'll follow ;)

Don
Where are those figures regarding the speeds which attract 6 points . been through thr document and can't find them , what page are they on ?

Back
Top Bottom