Robot Wars returning to BBC2!

Soldato
I saw a robot wars styled game thats not been out long i think, that or its early access. Anyhow its modern and looked like robot wars but for the life of me i cant seem to google it. Any ideas?

Soldato
That didn't strike me as any better than the fights we saw in the first episode.

Really? I've never seen Battlebots before it was mentioned in this thread and after watching that I thought it was better than anything I've ever seen before, and I watched EVERY episode of Robotwars back in the day.

Two (at first) equally matched machines smashing each other up, with one slowly getting the upper hand until the opponent's machine exploded and set on fire. How is that not more entertaining?!?

The pit adds an element of good driving required as well, rather than just who can stick the biggest weapon on a bot.

Like when Razor, the supposed favourite, and the other one drove in by accident? yeh that was great. Has anyone ever said "did you see that great robot wars fight which ended with one of them falling in the pit?" Nope.

Do people remember hypnodisc which instead smashed other robots to pieces? Yes, everyone.

The pit is too final and boring. It's a wimps way out and shouldn't have a place in my view. If it was a pit with a crusher in the bottom then maybe :D

Final thought, the teams should have separate booths. Carbide blatantly finished off the opponents gently by pushing them in the pit at the first opportunity because it was the sporting thing to do and because you would feel awkward about smashing the opponents robot to pieces when they are standing right next to you. I guess it's because these robots cost quite a bit to make but still, go hard or go home I say.

Caporegime
Hypnodisc was mental.

I enjoyed it for the battles, the extended drivel of teams etc was boring, but it was OK for a bit of entertainment on a Sunday night.

The house robots were rubbish though when they went in their areas in the early rounds, they didn't do anything!

Caporegime
Two (at first) equally matched machines smashing each other up, with one slowly getting the upper hand until the opponent's machine exploded and set on fire. How is that not more entertaining?!?

I thought it was one clearly better robot smashing up another. It was like Carbide vs. Terrorhurtz or Carbide vs. Behemoth but longer and more drawn out. Carbide was a lot more brutally effective.

Caporegime
Didn't think the American version was any better. Robots looked weaker if anything.
But it didn't have the pit.. Which is much much better.

I think the pit should only be able to be released in the last minute. Just to give a clearly mismatched robot a chance.

What shouldn't be able to happen is pit immediately released.

Razer was poor. It could not grip that cylinder robot.. And for some reason it went to the pit which is always a risk if you have the upper hand

And this also makes me regret (as I do frequently) that I didn't do engineering! :(

Caporegime
It would be good yeh, you feel that they would be full of pay for content though.

A base game; where you can battle and win money, to then spend that upgrades, unlock more difficult fights et cetera... would be great, but I think if they did this they would then add a tonne of 'new' robots from the shows for sale.

Soldato
Watched it yesterday with my son.

Was great :D

Razer was always my favourite, so disappointed to see it go out so soon. Behemoth performed well. Carbide was a bit of a beast, though - seem to remember Behemoth taking care of Hypnodisc in the past (am I remembering correctly?), so for Carbide to mince it up like that is impressive.

Bring on next week!

Caporegime
Razer was always my favourite, so disappointed to see it go out so soon. Behemoth performed well. Carbide was a bit of a beast, though - seem to remember Behemoth taking care of Hypnodisc in the past (am I remembering correctly?), so for Carbide to mince it up like that is impressive.

Your memory is correct.

Carbide snapped Behemoths lifting mechanism where hypnodisc glanced harmlessly off the scoop.

Soldato
Like when Razor, the supposed favourite, and the other one drove in by accident? yeh that was great. Has anyone ever said "did you see that great robot wars fight which ended with one of them falling in the pit?" Nope.

Do people remember hypnodisc which instead smashed other robots to pieces? Yes, everyone.

The pit is too final and boring. It's a wimps way out and shouldn't have a place in my view. If it was a pit with a crusher in the bottom then maybe :D

Final thought, the teams should have separate booths. Carbide blatantly finished off the opponents gently by pushing them in the pit at the first opportunity because it was the sporting thing to do and because you would feel awkward about smashing the opponents robot to pieces when they are standing right next to you. I guess it's because these robots cost quite a bit to make but still, go hard or go home I say.

I've disliked the pit since Panic Attack beat Cassius in the S2 final. Such a disappointing end :( .

It does lend a nice finality to one-sided battles, though.

Back
Top Bottom