Rock* to lazy to remove DRM for steam release so use a cracked exe instead!

Soldato
Without getting pedantic about it is actually hypocritical because they have done something they tell others not to. But yeah, there is of course a fair measure of irony in there as well.

But...If they've got to remove the DRM. And its already been done. And the exe is their property to begin with. Whats the problem in using the altered exe if the end result is the same?

There's no hypocrisy there.... Because when a scene does it, its because they're circumventing protection thats meant to be there.

Rockstar did it to remove protection that was no longer needed on software they own the rights to

Associate
But...If they've got to remove the DRM. And its already been done. And the exe is their property to begin with. Whats the problem in using the altered exe if the end result is the same?

There's no hypocrisy there.... Because when a scene does it, its because they're circumventing protection thats meant to be there.

Rockstar did it to remove protection that was no longer needed on software they own the rights to

Thats's simple. They should do what any self respecting company should do, code the DRM out themselves. A fair few companies do that, after a game has been around for a while. Egosoft did with X series etc. What that does is send a proper message to their customers that they are not just full of hypocrisy/irony.

I don't like DRM like most people and I wish all games just had at the most a very basic serial check at install but you can play without DVD when loading up the main .exe. Some do this, I remember FO3 had it and some Stardock games etc. If a game is really good and not completely riddled with DRM then many people are happy to do the right thing and buy it, in my experience.

The bottom line is, if they really want to curb piracy they shouldn't be giving people more justification to pirate stuff. This fiasco from Rock* basically says, "hey guys we know you're all pirates really, its ok, we do it too!, cool eh?"

Soldato
Its not hypocritical at all. If anything, its ironic.

Condoning the production of cracks then using that very illegal crack to fix there own game is practically the definition of hypocritical. Its no different to a teacher condoning eating in a classroom and confiscating food, then sitting there at dinnertime eating it.

Soldato
It's an issue of morals as much as anything else. Rockstar and other companies cannot condemn pirates when they use the very code the pirates generate for their own gain.

Soldato
Its no different to a teacher condoning eating in a classroom and confiscating food, then sitting there at dinnertime eating it.

Thats the problem though...The teacher is in charge. I used to drink coffee in the classroom when i was a technician. its not allowed by kids. Its 1 rule for someone in charge(Rockstar) and another for those who are not(General Public).

Soldato
Thats the problem though...The teacher is in charge. I used to drink coffee in the classroom when i was a technician. its not allowed by kids. Its 1 rule for someone in charge and another for those who are not.

It doesn't make it any less hypocritical. Ok the adult/child divide is a bit different since you wouldn't trust a 10 year old to give a toss about if he spilt the coffee on the floor or not, but actually deciding its illegal, going out of there way to combat this and STILL using the crack as if its there own work is about as hypocritcal it gets.

To return, its the equivilent of the teacher banning kids from eating food, setting up a security gate to search through the bags of every child who enters, prosecuting them if they find it and then eating the food themselves afterwards in that room.

Soldato

No. The problem is that they probably downloaded the crack .exe (the rights owned by "Myth") without obtaining Myth's permission, ran the crack on their game .exe, then distributed the cracked .exe, rather than doing it themselves.

Although I'm sure Myth don't have criteria for who can use their cracks.

It's hypocritical as companies bang on about how cracks are illegal, and unacceptable for the purpose of making the end user's life easier by disabling a CD check, then they use the same crack to make their lives easier and avoid taking out the DRM themselves.

Not illegal though as they are hardly subject to the EULA, being the developer.

Aaaaaanyway...

Soldato
Maybe they're not being as dumb as you think - it depends on whether it's them or their publisher that are insisting on the DRM. If it's the publisher, this is a great way for the dev to let people know that they don't agree with it and know it's bloody useless.

Back
Top Bottom