ROG Swift 32" PG329Q questions

sfg

sfg

Associate
Hi,

I just got this monitor:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...atible-led-backlit-gaming-moni-mo-0b9-as.html

This is my first IPS monitor, coming from a VA so maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not really happy with it.
For one thing, unless I turn on HDR, the colors seem oversaturated. And that's in user-mode, so none of the weird and I'd say unusable "gaming" profiles it comes with.
But, with HDR it seems to start going darker after a while, I saw it while just browsing some websites. And it stays like that, until I turn off HDR and then back on.

More than that it looks like it has quite some back-light bleed. At least I think that's it. Most notably the left and top edges look darker... and bluish on white backgrounds. Though I understand back-light bleed should be more noticeable on dark backgrounds? Dunno.

The viewing angles don't seem that great either. As I sit on my chair in front of the monitor or get up I can clearly see a change in brightness.

sRGB mode also is very dark. Is that supposed to be so? I don't know how that would be useful.

So, basically, I'm thinking of returning it and maybe getting an Acer Predator xb323ugp or even an MSI PS321QR. Thing is that it looks like they all use the same panel so I'm wondering if there's any hope that those would be better?

Pretty disappointed after waiting for a long time for this monitor to show up since I really like the specs.

Soldato
I wouldn't expect much from HDR, even HDR-600, on any LCD monitor. Did you research this before you bought? What were your expectations exactly? You shouldn't be using HDR in anything but games or videos that support it... and certainly not web browsing. But irrespective, the experience won't be stellar in either, and a million miles from what OLED offers for example.

You will always get some degree of bleed on any monitor. You could also be seeing IPS glow. It's hard to say if yours is a particularly poor example or not, as it can be subjective based on what you're coming from. It's also hard to photograph exactly as you see it.

Viewing angles should be good for IPS though, better than VA or TN, so it's odd you're feeling this is inadequate.

You can see a lot of variation between panels, so there's certainly no guarantee you'll have the same experience with another model. That said, coming VA, you're bound to notice a difference.

sfg

sfg

Associate
OP
Nah, I didn't get it for HDR. I got it because of the size, not being curved and the refresh rate.
I was just mentioning that with HDR the colors looked better than without where they are too saturated. The red is burning holes in my retinas.
But I played some more with the saturation and maybe I got it to something tolerable without completely destroying the colors. The default where I think it was too saturated was 50, by the way.

About viewing angles, yeah, I definitely didn't see such a big change in brightness/colors when looking from above at my previous VA monitor like I see on this one.

Thanks for the answer!

Associate
hi i am from italy, and i hope that my english will be clear enough

i hope i can help you because i have owned both monitors
pg392Q and xb32ugp

I can tell you that 10bit on 165hz does not give me problems personally, I put 120hz and that's fine with me
as for the glow, the acer is clearly WORST than the asus, and I have found this thing on more models not only on this particular 32 "

as for that it loses the range on the hdr, it is a known problem, and I will bring you some info here
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1266691-hdr-issues-on-a-asus-rog-swift-pg329q/
it only happens with hdr on, and browsing
I personally use SDR to navigate, and I recommend you to use sRGB which is factory pre-calibrated

it is true the sRGB is dark out of the box, or at least so it seemed to me too, you just need to simply run the windows color calibration and raise the gamma (gamma slider in windows) in a bit following the reference images, and true that everything will be fantastic

for the user mode it is true it is very saturated out of the box, but you can also act them in some way with a probe
I suggest sRGB, in SDR mode to navigate, with windows color profile with appropriately set gamma
and HDR for specific HDR use, always starting with sRGB

do not be hasty in judging this monitor, because to me it is truly fabulous
the only small annoyance is that HDR that loses brightness after 20 min of navigation, but just in a moment set asus hdr gaming / asus hdr cinema and go back, and everything comes back ok

it is a known flaw, we hope the asus releases a fw to fix

Associate

sfg

sfg

Associate
OP
Yeah, 10bit works on 120Hz.

Meatball80, since you said you tried the Acer too, can you tell me how are the colors on that?
And the sRGB mode on the Acer, does it allow you to set the brightness or it locks it like the Asus?

Unfortunately I don't like how it look adjusting the gamma in Windows. It just washes out the image, it's not really brightness.
Also, I had the HDR turning down in brightness while playing too, not only when browsing.

I'm trying to return this, but having problems finding a courier to take it. Apparently DPD doesn't ship monitors (it's on their prohibited list) even though I received it through DPD. I'll try through ParcelForce which seems to accept it but will not cover it for damage. Overclockers support is not very helpful either basically saying that they don't know what to say.
I wanted to be nice and just return it under the 14 days option and pay the shipping. But I could've just as well claim that it's defective given the HDR issue. Not happy with this support.

Associate
@sfg
on the acer, i don't do a lot of test, it has the worst glow i ever see in a monitor, so i send it back immediatly, and try the asus.
No i don't tell to turning down the brightness of the hdr, i just say that when browsing i put hdr on OFF, i use hdr only in gaming or movie

for the tuning of the colors, you have to use user mode, and better using a calibration hardware tool like x1 rite

Back
Top Bottom