Ron Atkinson has quit ITV after rascist comment.

Soldato
I just heard the TUC is now trying to get a lifetime ban imposed on Ron at every stadium in the country. Can't help feeling this has been whipped up beyond all proportion - it was a ******* stupid thing to say but it seems as though anyone and everyone with an inkling of a political agenda is bandwagon hopping in a desperate attempt to vilify the bloke.

Associate
room10ron.jpg

Soldato
Racism is a strange topic really, It seems that only white people can be racist. Certainly in terms of white and black people, If 2 black guys attack a white guy, It's an attack but if 2 white guys attack a black guy it could be seen as a racist attack.

I, by no means have anything agaisnt any other race (Well except maybe the welsh :p )

I went to Jamaica a few years ago and went into the local town, There were trucks full with black men shouting whitey and stuff at us as they drove past, I didn't really bother me that much. Just imagine if me and my mates went down out local high street and started shouting 'Hey blacky' etc at some random black person.

I dont think Ron is a racist, You can see by the transcript he was very angry and I guess that was the 1st word that came to his mind.

Soldato
Originally posted by MouseMat2004
It seems that only white people can be racist.

No this isn't the case but it seems like white people like to believe this :) If someone called me a stupid brown boy I probably would be offended. Not by the brown part but by the stupid part :p I am brown so why should I be offended when someone calls me it? The word ****** has always been used in a derogatory way so that is not right imo. In a way calling a Pakistani a **** shouldn't be a problem but people call them pakis don't mean it in a nice way.

Ron isn't racist, making one comment like that doesn't make you racist. The media have gone way over the top with it, he made a mistake, apologized and offered to resign. Should end there tbh.

Permabanned
Originally posted by UncleBob
I just heard the TUC is now trying to get a lifetime ban imposed on Ron at every stadium in the country. Can't help feeling this has been whipped up beyond all proportion - it was a ******* stupid thing to say but it seems as though anyone and everyone with an inkling of a political agenda is bandwagon hopping in a desperate attempt to vilify the bloke.

Bodies like the TUC and CRE really get my goat, they will just about jump any bandwagon going

Soldato
Originally posted by p3rfect
What a load of ******! I think Big Ron was absolutly spot on. Marcel Desailly is a "a ******* lazy ******" and you will hear the same anywhere you go. I assume he was forced to resign due to the media whores, but should one word be enough to ruin a 20/30 year career? Should it ****.

****** is a word. ******* call themselves *******. White people who say ****** are racist. It is totally hypocracy and also concider the Met Police's latest postive discrimination policy whereby blacks & asians will be given jobs BEFORE white people due to the current racial inbalance.

How is all that fair?

I say lets move on, the more we stress the worse it gets.

hmmm ok lets not turn this into one of those SC threads where everyone moans about how white people are treated harshly blah blah.

Also edit those swearwords out.

Like it has been said many times, the word ****** when used by a white person is 99.9% of the time meant in a derogatory way. Just by reading Rons comments you can see that.

Soldato
It could be argued that what he said was wrong but not rascist. If he had said this

"a ****** lazy thick ******."

but when you add

"He is what is known in some schools as"

It changes the whole context of what he has said into a rascist statement.

Permabanned
He isn't racist. That is a turn of phrase. It is derogatory but only as bad as calling someone fat - it is derogatory only by association., it is descriptive and simple classification. It's not like Ron is the founder member of the KKK, he just got caught speaking 'pub talk' - 99% of football fans will have used the exact same term at least once (a game). Who do you want to see on tv? Someone who passionatly loves the game or some stiff PR guru who would never even concider thinking the N word, never mind speaking it.

Unlucky Ron, very stupid, but unlucky.

Originally posted by Jazz

Like it has been said many times, the word ****** when used by a white person is 99.9% of the time meant in a derogatory way. Just by reading Rons comments you can see that.

Permabanned
99% of football fans will have used the exact same term at least once (a game).

Only if your millwall fans:p

I dont think or feel its common place amongst fans, im a season ticket holder at anfield, and have been for a few years, and i dnt think i have ever heard anyone being racist.

Just about every footy suppporter i have spoken to has said ron was wrong :fullstop: so it kinda throws out your 99% theory;)

Soldato
99% of football fans will have used the exact same term at least once (a game).

What? I'm sorry 99%?

I can assure you I've never used that term, I've never heard someone say that in a pub or at a game!

If I heard someone say that I'd expect them to lynched.

Man of Honour
he just got caught speaking 'pub talk' - 99% of football fans will have used the exact same term at least once (a game).

This just isn't the case. When I watch a match with friends I can't remember a single instance in over 15 years of us refering to anyone as a "***ing *****". Yes for sure we will swear and abuse players for being lazy, a cheat, crap or whatever but never in a racial way, not once. If anyone had I would remember it in my mind because it would stick out like a sore thumb. And this is from someone who grew up in a totally white dominated (in numberical terms) area, some days you could walk round town and not see a single black person.

Soldato
Originally posted by HangTime
This just isn't the case. When I watch a match with friends I can't remember a single instance in over 15 years of us refering to anyone as a "******* n*****". Yes for sure we will swear and abuse players for being lazy, a cheat, crap or whatever but never in a racial way, not once. If anyone had I would remember it in my mind because it would stick out like a sore thumb. And this is from someone who grew up in a totally white dominated (in numberical terms) area, some days you could walk round town and not see a single black person.

Yep, the same here. At my school there were only 2 black kids, and they only joined in the 3rd year. Cambridgeshire is pretty much 95% inbred white fen people.

Soldato
Originally posted by Gooner14
Yep, the same here. At my school there were only 2 black kids, and they only joined in the 3rd year. Cambridgeshire is pretty much 95% inbred white fen people.

And they say the brown people are taking over the whole of england :p

Permabanned
Originally posted by Gooner14

If I heard someone say that I'd expect them to lynched.

Possibly a poor choice of phrase in the context of the thread :eek: :D

Ron was very,very ignorant to say what he said ,how he said it,and when he said it.He rightly resigned from ITV,and it was inconceivable that he would keep his Garundian job,everything else is way ott imho.
Anyone else catch Ian Wrights thoughts on R5live yesterday?,maybe not such a one off slip as we're led to believe

Back
Top Bottom