Roof rack

Associate
Hi

I'm after a cycling roof rack. Initially for 1 bike but potentially up to 3 or 4. Road and MTB.

The Thule ones look good, but expensive. Is there a good alternative?

I drive a 2012 BMW X3, it would be nice if what I buy could be used on other cars / vans in the future.

Thank you.

Man of Honour

If I have learned anything from car accessories, it's that Thule kit is expensive because:
  1. It just works
  2. You won't turn the air blue when your fingers are cold and wet and some ratchet, bolt or buckle has slipped out and snagged you again...
I bought a load a while ago and it is SO much better than the (assuming it was Halfords posh branded brand) thing I had previously.

Associate
I’ve got this for 2x adult 2x kids on a toe bar. Rock solid and easy to use, yes expense but I wanted something that just worked. We have a xc60 and I didn’t fancy trying to get bikes on top.

Soldato
I've got 4 Thule 598s on my car and they (as above) just work, brilliantly

Keep an eye out for offers (Halfords) and even 2nd hand on eBay (although maybe not so much at the moment)

Yes they're expensive, but worth it !

Caporegime
I went from Thule to the Yakima and the Yakima is outstanding. Easy to use, and fits my massive bike easily. It also doesn't touch the paintwork. Brilliant.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies. I got the Cruze bars new from the link I posted above.

I asked the same question on my local cycling group and was offered x 2 Thule 591s + a slightly older Thule (all Volvo branded) for £75! Bargain.

Roof bars are fitted, i'll test fit the racks this weekend.

< £200 for a roof rack and 3 bikes :)

Associate
So rather than create new threads, going to jump onto this. Done some reading on racks and I was all set to buy the Proride 598 when I had a thought that it really isn't ideal for my frame (hollow carbon downtube with a cutout in the area it clamps) so I've been looking at the relatively new TopRide 568 from Thule instead, seems like the ideal middle ground as I can easily throw the wheel in the boot, but it's secure and doesn't touch the carbon frame.

Don't suppose anyone's had hands on with one yet? Believe they only launched this year

Soldato
So rather than create new threads, going to jump onto this. Done some reading on racks and I was all set to buy the Proride 598 when I had a thought that it really isn't ideal for my frame (hollow carbon downtube with a cutout in the area it clamps) so I've been looking at the relatively new TopRide 568 from Thule instead, seems like the ideal middle ground as I can easily throw the wheel in the boot, but it's secure and doesn't touch the carbon frame.

Don't suppose anyone's had hands on with one yet? Believe they only launched this year

They also have ones the just wrap around the front wheel now i think. So less force on frame.

Caporegime

Yakima do the wheel wrap around (what I use) but also I think Thule now do one. I love mine, proper easy to take on and off (easier than the T tracks) and no touching the paint.

Soldato
If I have learned anything from car accessories, it's that Thule kit is expensive because:
  1. It just works
  2. You won't turn the air blue when your fingers are cold and wet and some ratchet, bolt or buckle has slipped out and snagged you again...
I bought a load a while ago and it is SO much better than the (assuming it was Halfords posh branded brand) thing I had previously.

This, although I've got a witter towbar mounted rack (similar cost and build quality), but it just works every time and never had any issues despite it being used predominantly for Cyclo Cross racing in winter in horrible muddy fields! If you're going to be on and off multiple times spend the cash it'll pay you back in lack of stress over the years and if you no longer need it will still be worth something.

Associate
Yup, ordered a Thule 599, grabs onto the front wheel only for upright support. Was looking at the fork mount but the max wheelbase is a bit less than my bike, so figured I'd just play it safe and get the bigger wheel supporting rack

Associate
So, another thought is security. Now I'm not going to be leaving the bike on the rack overnight or anything but I'd want some security if I were to be driving solo and needed to pop into a services or something.

Figure the best course of action is to have a Sold Secure gold chain in the boot and throw it on while parked? The rack will be locked to the rails and the rails locked to the car, so that satisfies my insurance but the bike has to be attached to the rack with a gold rated lock of unattended for any time.

Soldato
Rather than start a new thread :D

via - www.roofbox.co.uk

I'm about to hit buy on the below, I'm assuming I'll have to space the 4 adult size bikes accordingly and have (For example) have each bike facing opposite to the next bike for handle bar clearance?

4 x Thule FreeRide 532 bike carriers with locking roof bars​

CRUZ Airo R 128cm black aluminium roof bars (2 bars)​

Back
Top Bottom