Rotated Tyres from front to back - Steering wheel no longer central?

Man of Honour
Yeah, I used to think that too, but when I put it into practice and lost control of my car during a simple every day braking manoeuvre at low speed I snapped back into reality pretty quick.
In fact when that happened the rear slid out so fast it had become unrecoverable by the time I could react and I came really close to sliding out of control into the path of an oncoming car. Not fun at all, my advice from that day on is to NEVER run grippier tyres on the front. Oversteer is laugh when you are hooning and having fun, not so much when you lose control unexpectedly.

So what do those of us with wider rear tyres do?

Die?

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I actually had call to need my brakes very quickly when I had changed them over. About an hour afterwards, slowing into a 40 (from NSL) a cat ran out infront of me, I managed to brake, and steer (ABS!) so I hit it in the middle of the undertray rather than the tyre.

Stopped and went to check, looked for about 10 minutes, and no body on the road, or hedges, and a few clumps of hair on the undertray.

That was one lucky cat! Car braked very well, and enabled me to deal with the situation safely :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Always ran the gripper on the front, but then I have a death wish and enjoy 'quirky' handling characteristics :D

My CTR steering wheel was off center for ages. It was pointing to the right a bit. When I get two new front tyres, nothing changed. When I got 4 new tyres not many miles later (they were shot already!) the wheel was center again. Odd, as they never did any tracking (I watched them fit all 4 while I waited). All the did was grind off all the old sealant as I kept losing pressure quickly and balance them.

Thinking about it, it could be that they put the wheels back on in different places? Maybe I had a dodgy wheel. Oh well, don't have it anymore to worry about.

Associate
I actually had call to need my brakes very quickly when I had changed them over. About an hour afterwards, slowing into a 40 (from NSL) a cat ran out infront of me, I managed to brake, and steer (ABS!) so I hit it in the middle of the undertray rather than the tyre.

Stopped and went to check, looked for about 10 minutes, and no body on the road, or hedges, and a few clumps of hair on the undertray.

That was one lucky cat! Car braked very well, and enabled me to deal with the situation safely :)

Was that in the wet or the dry, but more worn tires will normally be grippier in the dry. It's in the wet when grip because a real problem though hence using the best tread on the back.

Associate
This is simply not true. Excepting the first hundred miles or so while you take the shine off, new tyres give better grip in the dry as well as in the wet.

Well lets start an arguement then, because I've seen tests on tv where part worns with 3mm tread on give better grip in the dry than something with 7-8mm on.

I understand that an almost bald tyre will start to lose grip, even in the dry because that are not designed to run that low. But something that's within legal limits I believe is gripier than an almost new tyre in the dry.

Soldato
( |-| |2 ][ $;15105760 said:
Well lets start an arguement then, because I've seen tests on tv where part worns with 3mm tread on give better grip in the dry than something with 7-8mm on.

I understand that an almost bald tyre will start to lose grip, even in the dry because that are not designed to run that low. But something that's within legal limits I believe is gripier than an almost new tyre in the dry.

yes, all tyres have a range they work best in. Pirelli Nero's worked fantastic (compared to the rest of the mm range) when they only had 2mm on them (in the dry). When the tread blocks are so thick (8mm vs 2mm) they heat up too fast, and will move about more increasing slip angles and if you are on a track day will wear out faster than a set that's almost worn out already. When the tyre is worn low, it will be more consistent.

Back
Top Bottom