1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router advice

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Target, 15 Jun 2006.

1. Target

Associate

A friend of mine bought a wireless router for his office a couple of years ago which was fine because he didn't have internet access at the time.

Now he's looking to get broadband set up and was wondering whether it was better to replace the router with a modem router or just attach the supplied modem to the existing router

Advice welcomed

2. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Cable or ADSL?

If cable then you'll need to use the cable modem you've been given. If ADSL then most likely you've got a cruddy USB modem which should be thrown away and replaced with an ADSL router.

3. Target

Associate

It's ADSL. The current router (Netgear 624, I think) has a USB port built in. Can the modem be plugged into that? If not, how will it work? I know that with an ADSL router the authenticating is done by the router

4. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

No, you won't be able to plug the modem into the router. If the router has an ethernet WAN port then you could buy an ethernet ADSL modem and connect them together but it is easier (and usually no more expensive) to get an ADSL router.

5. Target

Associate

6. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Makes no difference, you still can't use a USB ADSL modem with it.

I don't know what the DG834PN's are like, but I'm always wary of these so called 108Mbit wireless things - they don't perform anything like the manufacturer would like to make you believe.