router to router link for more routery goodness?

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
pretty tough when i cant get into the config lol so you suggest i assign the netgear an ip then it should automatically have that ip through the buffalo therefore giving me access, despite the fact that neither its default ip nor the current dhcp assigned ip allows me access to the config?

Plug the Netgear straight into one PC and nothing else and see if you can access it then. Use the reset button to restore it to factory defaults if you have to.

Associate
Unless there's some setting that Ultra_Extreme has unknowingly changed somewhere though, I can't see that helping. Assuming he had the right IP from the lease table earlier it shouldn't make any differene whether it got it by DHCP or is static really? Unless the Netgear has a strange behaviour that blocks the webconfig when its IP is assigned by DHCP...

The other weird thing is, this:
Ultra_Extreme said:
had to assign the netgear as a DMZ and enable a box suspiciously labled "pass-through IP adressing" hmm
I still can't understand why that was necessary, if it was just plugged into the main router from and to LAN ports, it should have acted just like a WAP attached to a switch in one box. I'm thinking there's something up with the way the router is configured :confused:

Permabanned
OP
null said:
Unless there's some setting that Ultra_Extreme has unknowingly changed somewhere though, I can't see that helping. Assuming he had the right IP from the lease table earlier it shouldn't make any differene whether it got it by DHCP or is static really? Unless the Netgear has a strange behaviour that blocks the webconfig when its IP is assigned by DHCP...

I still can't understand why that was necessary, if it was just plugged into the main router from and to LAN ports, it should have acted just like a WAP attached to a switch in one box. I'm thinking there's something up with the way the router is configured :confused:

The DMZ bit was just for the xbox 360's benefit. I probably could have used static routing to assign it but i though that could lead to future conflicts. Basically the 360 could not get an IP assigned to it untill i changed those options. It was fine if i used the very weak signal from the buffalo, but when connected to the netgear it for some bizzare reason seemed to insist that the ip was assigned directly rather than from the remote dhcp :confused: im learning but not quick enuff i reckon lol

Soldato
null said:
Unless the Netgear has a strange behaviour that blocks the webconfig when its IP is assigned by DHCP...

Exactly what I'm thinking. At present I am using a Netscreen Firewall for my NAT/DHCP/etc stuff and my Netgear router simply as a switch and wireless AP and I've had to do nothing strange. I've left my Netgear with a static IP and I've turned off the DHCP server on it - that's it, works fine. So, it is possible that it could do some strange stuff when it's getting its IP via DHCP.

Permabanned
OP
Phemo said:
Exactly what I'm thinking. At present I am using a Netscreen Firewall for my NAT/DHCP/etc stuff and my Netgear router simply as a switch and wireless AP and I've had to do nothing strange. I've left my Netgear with a static IP and I've turned off the DHCP server on it - that's it, works fine. So, it is possible that it could do some strange stuff when it's getting its IP via DHCP.

In fact checking the webconfig through the buffalo client monitor the netgear appears to have no IP at all now. It appears to be operating the same as the airstation repeater that is connected through WDA hmmm

Permabanned
OP
huzzah. The problem seems to have been that the buffalo kit works on 192.168.11.xx and netgear works on 192.168.0.xx so their subnets or whatever were different.

Unhooked ethernet between routers. rebooted, had to assign manual ip cos forgot id turned off dhcp. assigned static ip of 192.168.11.10 (also set this as a reserved address in the buffalo DHCP settings) reconnected cable rebooted and now can access both (well all three!! lol) webconfigs. Networks are great when the errr work lol

Associate
Have you tried setting the Netgear with a static IP yet? If not, do so (in the same range as the main router), and while you're at it do a full factory reset (sounds like you're gonna have to anyway to access the panel).

Hope this helps, null :)

edit - Posted at same time lol! So I might have been onto something earlier when I mentioned subnets. Yay I'm learning too :cool: . And yeah you're right, networks are great when they work :D

Glad you fixed it, hopefully for a little longer than last time :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
null said:
Have you tried setting the Netgear with a static IP yet? If not, do so (in the same range as the main router), and while you're at it do a full factory reset (sounds like you're gonna have to anyway to access the panel).

Hope this helps, null :)

edit - Posted at same time lol! So I might have been onto something earlier when I mentioned subnets. Yay I'm learning too :cool: . And yeah you're right, networks are great when they work :D

Glad you fixed it, hopefully for a little longer than last time :p

lol yeah, well technically it wasnt broke just a bit bent :D now however i dont have to go anywhere to fiddle which is useful cos i wanna get security going asap (esp as i now have a silly coverage!)

Back
Top Bottom