1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rover 400 Cam Belts

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mysticsniper, 5 May 2006.

1. mysticsniper

Sgarrista

I have just had my Rover 420SLi R Plate serviced, and the machanic has asked me the last time the Cam Belt was changed. I told him that I would ask my m8 who I bought the car from, but he doesn't know.

Does anyone know roughly how long these belts are supposed to last (in miles). I cannot be sure when if it has been changed at all. the car has done 61k miles :confused:

TIA :)

2. M0T

Mobster

Service interval is 6 years or 60,000 miles, which is probably why the mechanic asked.

3. agw_01

Capodecina

My old 214 was on 85k when I had the belt changed.

The mechanic said he thought it was the original belt :eek:

4. mysticsniper

Sgarrista

Ok, thanks for that. The mechanic quoted me a price around the £200 mark for the cam belt plus fitting.

Is that a good price or the average going rate, or a rip off :confused:

5. M0T

Mobster

I paid £415 for the following:

- Cambelt
    - Cambelt tensioner
    - Water Pump
    - Rear Cambelt
    - Intake O2 sensor

Since the water pump cost £80, the sensor was £30 and the rear belt was £25, all things you wont have to change the price I had to pay was £280 but that still includes the labour charge for doing those extra jobs which probably took about an hour longer. So had I just had a normal engine with no extra bits I would be looking at around £230 for a timing belt swap so your price looks ok to me.