Rowing Machine

Soldato
So I used to do running and enjoyed it but, with the dark nights during winter, wanting to have less strain on the joints and also being attracted to the fact it gives you a full body workout, I pulled the trigger and bought myself one

I didn't stretch as far as the Concept machine both due to price and wait list so I opted for the JTX Ignite Air.

Seems a decent machine and it really does get the heart rate up.

Dont get me wrong, I may still do the odd run but having the machine I feel gives me a better overall workout and is easier to fit around work, dark nights in the Winter and also the worst weather (I like running in rain but if its really poor weather it's just annoying)

Anyone else doing much rowing?

Soldato
I've had a concept 2 and currently own a JTX Freedom Air, mechanically they're on par with each other, the JTX software leaves a bit to be desired though compared to the C2.

If i was to buy again, i'd still buy a JTX, the premium you pay for the concept 2 isn't worth it just for better software.

As an aside, i'd say if you can get a used C2 around the JTX new price, snap it up. Despite what I say above, the C2 is a fantastic machine, it's just at a premium price.

Soldato
Dont get me wrong, I may still do the odd run but having the machine I feel gives me a better overall workout and is easier to fit around work, dark nights in the Winter and also the worst weather (I like running in rain but if its really poor weather it's just annoying)

Anyone else doing much rowing?

I transitioned over to rowing from running after an injury about 5 years ago. I love trail running, but I never really enjoyed city running as I found it soul destroying, especially in winter when it was miserable and cold. It turned out that I actually really enjoy rowing and got quite addicted to it. I average about 40-50k a week on the erg now.

The good thing about the C2 over other ergs, is the community built around it. Since getting mine, I've joined an online team and there are monthly team and individual challenges, leagues and even the indoor rowing championships which went virtual for 2020.

Soldato
The good thing about the C2 over other ergs, is the community built around it. Since getting mine, I've joined an online team and there are monthly team and individual challenges, leagues and even the indoor rowing championships which went virtual for 2020.

That is a very good point actually and does add some perceived value to the higher price of the C2.

Soldato
OP
I've had a concept 2 and currently own a JTX Freedom Air, mechanically they're on par with each other, the JTX software leaves a bit to be desired though compared to the C2..

There is a comparison of the JTX Ignite Air with the C2 and it comes out fairly equal with the exception of the software. Mechanically and build quality are evenly matched.

I only went for the Ignite over the Freedom to get the longer rail as I didn't want to be banging off the back on full strokes

I've only just started so will take a while to build up the distance... Currently doing about 3K over a 12min period. A couple of rests thrown in but the computer pauses the stopwatch when rowing stops so it's 12min for 3K around 25 Strokes Per Min... No idea if that's reasonable for starting out.

Fairly gets the legs and heart pumping after a couple of mins :D

Any tips welcomed

Soldato
If you're just starting out, it might be worth looking at something like the BPP.

It's a really good plan built around three sessions a week that gives you a solid cardio base on the erg and although it's called a beginners plan, it get's fairly tough, especially if you're doing the two optional sessions.

It's structured for progression so you'll see a nice improvement, and it gets you used to the different types of session, SS, speed intervals and endurance intervals.

Soldato
OP
If you're just starting out, it might be worth looking at something like the BPP.

It's a really good plan built around three sessions a week that gives you a solid cardio base on the erg and although it's called a beginners plan, it get's fairly tough, especially if you're doing the two optional sessions.

It's structured for progression so you'll see a nice improvement, and it gets you used to the different types of session, SS, speed intervals and endurance intervals.

I think I might do this as quite straightforward, appreciated.

I did a row last night and when I took my feet out the straps, my legs were like lead :cry:

Soldato
Dark Horse Rowing is my go to YT channel for anything rowing related, good knowledge put across well, worth checking out some vids. Covers a lot of warmup and recovery work which folks tend to skip too.

Soldato
They posted last week to say they're back in stock with no waiting list now!

Cool...don't really have money for one just now but maybe in the future, just curious

Have a really basic York R501 machine just now that's just a reverse gas strut and a strap... even that gives a decent workout...would be great to have more feedback on speed etc and I'm guessing the concept etc just feels completely different to use

Soldato
Erging is brutal at the moment. The thermometer in my garage was reading 28C which made my 10k feel like the hardest 10k I've ever done, despite it being a slow SS session! I need to do a 5k test before the end of the month so I'm hoping I get a cool day to do it.

Soldato
OP
I'm nowhere near 10k yet :cry:

Doing a other 5k tonight. Day 3 of week 1 of that Petes plan thing so will aim to at least match the 21min it took on Monday.

Legs always feel like lead after I get off the machine. Not sore, just like they weigh 3 times normal weight :cry:

Soldato
OP
Session 3 done of the plan which is another 5k.

Managed it in 19:30 so wiped over a minute of the time since Monday which I well chuffed about.

Stopped for about 15-20 secs at 3K and 4K to wipe the sweat from my eyes and take a quick drink but, other than that, kept going.

Back
Top Bottom