1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Mail strikes...

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by NeilF, 16 Oct 2009.

1. NeilF

Capodecina

If I refused to come into work unless I got what I was asking for (pay etc) what do you think would happen?

With X thousand Royal Mail worker threatening to go out on strike unless their demands are met, I suspect there's approaching 2,000,000+ other people who might be willing to fill in (fulltime)... :rolleyes:

Legally, I wonder if the Royal Mail could sack them all :)

2. Rich_L

Capodecina

I imagine it would depend on your importance within the company, and whether you had enough influence to receive support from other workers, if either was adequate enough to cause significant disruption then I suspect they would try and reach a suitable ground.

I think there are laws about 'official' strikes, Dolph I think referenced them in another thread about Unions I believe :)

3. stockhausen

Capodecina

I'm not really sure as to the background to this dispute. However, I believe that the management of Royal Mail are actively trying to push their workers into going on strike
    perhaps because the management feel that Royal Mail should be privatised
    perhaps because they could make a tidy sum if it was​

As I understand it, the management have refused to take the dispute to the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

4. Richy1204

Hitman

sack them all :)

5. Beerbaron

Soldato

i agree sack them all, theres enough people to take over from them.

6. scorza

Caporegime

As Joni Mitchell said: Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

Our Royal Mail system – a system which ranks among the best in the world for cheapness and efficiency as a public service – is under threat. It's funny how people are quick to blame unionised posties when their deliveries go missing but it seems to me that the problem of mail non-delivery got a hell of a lot worse when RM management started their "modernisation" program (management speak for making things worse, cheaper) which included the use of increasing numbers of non-unionised agency staff. People moan that their post doesn't arrive until 3pm, but it wasn't the postmen and women who decided to scrap the second delivery and extend the postman's round.

This essential public service will only get worse as this modernisation programme continues, and while I know that the CWU are on strike because of the effects of this programme on them, we should all be on their side because if they fail then you're going to miss the RM when it's run by the likes of CityLink.

7. Bear

Capodecina

So what do you say about the big internet shops said to want to desert RM because it affects their business ?? These firms shift huge amounts of mail through RM and dont want people suffering a disruption to their business.

If many of these large firms potentially desert RM, they will have to down size and there will have to be job cuts eventually anyway. That Joni Mitchell song could equally apply to the workers slitting their own throats and dragging the company they work for down with them.

8. Weebull

Capodecina

People complain about the strikes holding up their mail, and yet turn around and call for all workers to be sacked with a straight face? :confused:

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

If the workers are the reason, then replacing them will result in better reliability. As it stands, we have the short term pain of replacing them, with a long term reliability gain, or we have the short term pain of the strike, combined with longer term risks of further action and no real modernisation of the service.

The Royal mail needs fundamental, ground up reform based on a new assessment of it's purpose, it's aims and it's customer's needs in the 21st century. That is unpopular because it is going to result in change, and if there's one thing militant union led workforces don't like, it's change...

10. MTWest

Gangster

This.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Indeed, if all the proper steps are taken and formal notification of industrial action given then you can't sack striking workers. I'm of two minds about this, mainly because it seems that strikers (or more accurately, unions) appear to hold all the cards in most industrial disputes. The union can threaten to do massive damage to the company in question through strike action without fear of consequence. It is why I believe that strikes should be subject to a legal check for which side is being unreasonable, and that side be responsible for the costs.

12. scorza

Caporegime

They have to do what's right for their business, which I agree is to ditch Royal Mail, which makes Royal Mail's decision to pick a fight with their workers is completely bewildering. Remember that the parcel courier market can be, and has been open to true competition for years. Some things however can't be, which includes the bulk of Royal Mail's business.

13. Meridian

Man of Honour

Why? New doesn't mean better - in fact, since they are new they are unlikely to care about the job and will do whatever fiddling it takes to get the overtime. It might help, it might not - but it certainly doesn't follow that it will improve things.

M

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Because when you hire people on the right contracts, rather than outdated contracts, they have a lot less room to moan and whinge?

Because combining new workers with breaking the union will mean that the service won't be constantly disrupted because the staff canteen has swapped sugar cubes for packets, or because people are actually expected to work for the amount of time they are paid for?

15. NeilF

Capodecina

If my department believes what we're doing as a whole is wrong, or believe that we're not paid enough, we could of course all put down tools and refuse to turn up to work, 'until it's sorted'.

Now this would undoubtably get results. The company cuold not function without 'us' and the loss and cost would be too much for them to bear and they'd have to almost certainly compromise.

HOWEVER, (1) we realise that this behaviour in reality is not particularly fair, and (2) in the long term it will only do us harm by actually bruising the very company we work for.

What makes this group of people think they are special and can in effect hold the country to ransom?

If they don't turn up to work... Do what every other employer would do... Sack them.... They have a contract of employment. Either they are within it, or breaching it. If they are breaching it, sack them.

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

Do you really think RM would be 'picking a fight' with workers if the reforms and working practice changes were unnecessary?

17. rudekid

Gangster

Its a shame you do not know what you are talking about it is not the staff but Crozier and Mandelson who have caused all this trouble
    . they will benifit the most from the destruction of Royal Mail.The union agrees with modernnisation and has went along with it with the loss of over 60,000 jobs already,but unless you work in the busniness you will not have a clue what is going on,only the lies of the mangement reported in the media.

18. Floogie

Hitman

Not strictly true. You can fairly sack official striking workers as long as you sack ALL of those that participate at the same time. Also striking workers can be dismissed fairly if the official strike lasts longer than 12 weeks and suitable attempts by the union to negotiate have not been achieved.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  19. Dolph

Man of Honour

Keep telling yourself that, it's good to keep up the pretense that you are special and always right no matter how crazy your demands get, and that any attempt to say otherwise is management lies...

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  20. deuse

Capodecina

Proof with links please.

Who is going to train them? and who will post letters while you try to train them

Do you know why they are striking? or just as you normaly do guess?