Associate
Hi Overclockers community!
New account but not to the forums.

TL;DR RTX 2060, MSI, ZOTAC, EVGA, PALIT or PNY for upgrade?

Would just like some advice on a planned upgrade to my GPU.

I've sort of settled on getting a RTX 2060 (but open to suggestions) based on budget, price to performance etc. but am struggling to decide on which card to get. Rough budget of around £350-400.

Current specs:
  • i7 8700 (non K)
  • Asus TUF Z370-PLUS Gaming mobo
  • 16Gb Corsair Vengence 2400mhz ram
  • EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 (no overclocking, never had much luck)
  • Corsair CX750M power supply
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Various storage drives but probably not important.
Ideally I would like a card with a backplate (metal), dual or triple fans (I like things cool), and am not all that bothered about RGB on my card.

I've read various reviews about the MSI Gaming Z, ZOTAC AMP and EVGA XC Ultra Gaming, all with good outcomes. But what about Palit, PNY and Gigabyte OC cards? All of which come with out of the box OC of 1830mhz boost memory clock.

My question is, how reliable are the Palit and PNY cards? Seeing as they are £20-30 cheaper at time of this post, are they a better investment?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Dual 100mm fans, currently on sale. UK RMA and rep support

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £359.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Other triple or larger cooling solutions

Total: £1,201.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

3+ year warranty is handy :)

Man of Honour
i'd rather get a vega64 for the same-ish price as a 2060.

Total: £409.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)

vega 64 is 10-15% faster at stock compared to the 2060...more if you want to tinker.
also has the advantage of more vram (8gb vs 6gb)
depending on the free games bundle, may swing it either way: nvidia offering: BFV or Anthem or Metro Exodus (1 game). AMD offering: RE2 and Division 2 and DMC5 (3 games)
negative with the vega is its power consumption (and therefore, heat), and paltry 2 year warranty. although, you get to avoid the gddr6 space invaders gamble that is plaguing the RTX series currently :)

Soldato
My question is, how reliable are the Palit and PNY cards? Seeing as they are £20-30 cheaper at time of this post, are they a better investment?

Any GDDR6 memory card is pot luck just now, as Tamzzy mentioned. So regardless of which you get, you could run into issues. One would assume current manufacturing has eliminated the problem. However, Nvidia and their board partners never issued a recall for the batches affected, so they are still being sold (along with newer). They know certain memory/memory controller/something batches aren't sound but are hoping the problem won't be triggered in some cases till further down the line (out of warranty).

Apart from options already mentioned, another is to stick with the GTX 970 for a few more months, give the GDDR6 cards some time, and who knows, maybe AMD Navi cards will be knocking at the door.

Associate
OP
Thank you for all of your suggestions.

I'll be honest, I hadn't even considered a AMD card. I've been with Nvidia for so long now that AMD hadn't crossed my mind.

I have had a quick look at benchmarks however, and the RTX 2060 does pull ahead in terms of 1.0% lows and mean average fps in most games???

Ray tracing isn't a huge thing for me however, and getting 3x games free is a huge selling factor for me too. :eek:

It really is a strange time to be investing in a new card, so many variables!

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom