• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2070 super causing issues with network

Associate
Hi all

I've been dealing with an issue that's been driving me nuts since I upgraded from an Nvidia 1080 to an RTX 2070 super a few weeks ago.
Basically, with the new GPU in I completely lose network connectivity every so often for a few seconds. This was never an issue until I changed the graphics card; It goes from being able to ping something, to transmit failed, to being able to ping again. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the issue strikes.
Thinking it was a problem with the on-board NIC, I got a cheap internal one, which fixed the issue completely... for a few days, then it just stopped picking up an IP address from DHCP. I can usually find my way around PC issues, but this is completely bizarre.
To troubleshoot this, I've tried:
- Completely reinstalling Windows 10.
- Disabling all unnecessary devices (including the onboard audio on the 2070.)
- Discarded my home networking being an issue (3 other computers work fine on the same connection.)
- Bios and driver updates for all my devices.
- Resetting the IP stack, and every other solution for similar issues I could find on the web.
- Trying to both sweet talk and intimidate the PC into working.

I'm completely out of ideas. Everything else, including all video capabilities work like a dream. Help please?
The GPU is connected to an ASUS Z170 pro gaming with a n i5-6600k, running from a 600w PCU... let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!
R.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. The router is crap (a Virgin superhub), but I've swapped the cat6 cable for a new one and changed port multiple times. I've got other computers hooked up to the same router without any issues, and when I swap ports the other PCs continue working fine but this one still has the same problem. And I only started having the issue when I put in the new GPU... so as much as I'd like to I'm not sure if I can blame it on Virgin. I'd need to take my computer elsewhere to be 100% sure.

Associate
Two initial ideas I can think of. Power supply power delivery interference or PCIe frequency interference. Maybe both.
The fact that itr fried the second NIC points to latter.

Try different power supply.
Try turning on (or off if it was on) PCIe spread spectrum option in BIOS, maybe try adjusting bclk by 1MHz up or down.

Associate
OP
Thanks all (and merry christmas)
Another interesting point - we've noticed that whenever I have the PC on, all the other PCs in the network start dropping packets, so what you're all saying sounds about right. Changing the GPU to a different PCIE slot doesn't make any difference. However, I've put in the PCI ethernet card again and it seems to work (with dropped packets) for now; I expect it to break down at some point in the future, but oh well.
I'll look into changing the PSU - I looked online before getting it and saw that my 600w was enough, but NVidia recommmend 650 at least. And from there I guess I'm looking at a mobo change.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom