RTX 2080 Max-Q comparing to desktop 1080ti

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I have a desktop PC that has a single GeForce 1080ti that I use exclusively as my gaming system and its copes very well with anything.

I live in Asia and travel a lot (back to the UK quite a bit) and want to have gaming for when I travel. Not necessarily during travel, I mean at the destination, so weight etc not really an issue.

Anyway, I'm digressing a little.

I'm planning on a GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q laptop (namely a Razer Blade 15") and just curious how it would compare to my desktop 1080ti? Although more modern, I don't expect it to perform better than my ti, but how different in performance would they be?

I've read up the specs etc, but I'd like to know a more real world example from a human :).

I suppose one big difference would be that my desktop I play at 4k... the laptop would generally be played on the laptop screen, so at 1080p... so that would speed things up a bit.

Anyway, any pointers or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks

Associate
It should cope very well, I've just bought a laptop with a gtx 1070 in it and due to the 1080p screen it runs all games well over 60fps at ultra settings so an rtx 2080 max Q should be even quicker

Associate
Just got my Mid 2019 Razer Blade 15 with 240Hz display, i7-9750H and 2080 Max Q. Pretty sure your desktop 1080ti will outperform the 2080 Max Q, but still you will be able to play the latest tittles on High/Ultra settings above 60 fps.

Soldato
Bought the Razer Blade 15 Advanced / RTX 2080 / i7-9750H / 240Hz display in the end. Happy with the purchase, runs the games I play perfectly fine at 1080p on high/max settings.
Max-Q? What firestrike score does it achieve?

Lmao I love the difference in mentalities. One person is happy his laptop plays his games, other users wanna know fire strike scores.

Associate
Lmao I love the difference in mentalities. One person is happy his laptop plays his games, other users wanna know fire strike scores.

I have a Max-P 2080 but am considering going for something slimmer and lighter so want to see for comparison.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I have a desktop PC that has a single GeForce 1080ti that I use exclusively as my gaming system and its copes very well with anything.

I live in Asia and travel a lot (back to the UK quite a bit) and want to have gaming for when I travel. Not necessarily during travel, I mean at the destination, so weight etc not really an issue.

Thanks

I have similar sort of setup and usage requirements for travelling.

The 2080-Max Q is about the same speed as the Alienware 17 1080 released a couple of years ago. You can use the benchmarks for this laptop to get an idea of actual in-game FPS.

Firestrike won't give you a good enough idea as throttling won't be as big an issue because in real gaming situations the CPU is also being hammered. i.e. Total War.

The last-gen 17 used a slightly down-clocked Full Desktop 1080 chip. I find that my Alienware 1080 is much slower than my liquid-cooled 1080ti due to throttling and lower clocks however, i just work around it.

I had a quick go on the latest Alienware 15, it is a fine laptop, the main problem is thermal throttling and fan noise, the latest 15 inch unit is no better although it is a nicer design. All other laptop manufacturers have the same problem.

The sweet spot is the 1070/2070 level of GPU and a Quad-Core CPU with an OLED screen and that is what I would go for. One other way is to order a 6 core CPU and only run with 4 CPU cores.

We really need the 10nm CPU's and 7nm GPU's to land in 2020 to sort this.

Back
Top Bottom