• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
Well Amd says that there gpu will have 50% more performance with less power and might beat ampere and probably use less power compared to ampere. Hope this is true. If so, Nvidia will fail badly and will get a big slap on the face by Amd.

Soldato
Well Amd says that there gpu will have 50% more performance with less power and might beat ampere and probably use less power compared to ampere. Hope this is true. If so, Nvidia will fail badly and will get a big slap on the face by Amd.

You have misconstrued that.

AMD claim 50% performance per watt over existing Navi. IE RDNA. RDNA2 is supposed to have 50% gain in performance per watt. At no point does that say they are going to be 50% faster than Nvidia per watt or anything else.

Associate
Very early to say but this driver does indeed seem to have altered the cards behaviour. I had a crashing card and I was testing undervolting earlier today in COD. In the same place on the same map the new driver is glued to 2025Mhz and 1.068v once up to temperature whereas earlier the boost and voltage was fluctuating massively (over 200Mhz).

I’ve had the game running at 2025Mhz for over half an hour now and before the update I had to limit boost to 1995Mhz max, which meant it would settle around 1965Mhz.

Needs others to validate but I’m pretty confident something has been changed/fixed.

Associate
If you are getting an OC over the boost of 1710Mhz that what the box says then surely your return varies as per all over launhces were some cards are better than others?
Well except for one small detail:
The 3080 FE cards boosted to close to 2000MHz. Not the 'spec' 1710MHz.
TPU had them around 1900MHz mostly:
bltSdSh.png
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/32.html
CB also had them at up to 1965MHz:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/geforce-rtx-3080-test/2/#abschnitt_die_taktraten_unter_last
If a driver would have 'fixed' this by limiting boost to 1710MHz, then all the reviews would have become invalid.
And then a 3080 limited to 1710MHz versus an overclocked 2080Ti... well, that wouldn't look good at all.

Permabanned
Well except for one small detail:
The 3080 FE cards boosted to close to 2000MHz. Not the 'spec' 1710MHz.
TPU had them around 1900MHz mostly:
bltSdSh.png
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition/32.html
CB also had them at up to 1965MHz:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09/geforce-rtx-3080-test/2/#abschnitt_die_taktraten_unter_last
If a driver would have 'fixed' this by limiting boost to 1710MHz, then all the reviews would have become invalid.
And then a 3080 limited to 1710MHz versus an overclocked 2080Ti... well, that wouldn't look good at all.
Small DETAIL was said that NV is keeping BEST SILICONE for FE cards...

Associate
Yep the new driver has fixed it, at least for me. Before the card couldn’t go over 2GHz, now it never drops below 2GHz. The difference seems to be that the clock and voltage are much more stable whereas before it would jump about the boost table aggressively. Either that or Nvidia downloaded new capacitors into the drivers.

Edit: The wording above makes it sound like the driver is boosting the card higher, that’s not the case - I meant that the card was only stable under 2GHz with the old driver, now I can overclock it so that it never drops below 2GHz and it remains stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom