• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Soldato
Interesting ... never had crashing issues stock.
Are you saying its boosting a stock card over 2ghz ?
Most I have seen mine sit at is 1995 in Warzone with a 1.075v stock.
Most other games it will sit around mid 19's but does fluctuate a lot.

Soldato
Yep the new driver has fixed it, at least for me. Before the card couldn’t go over 2GHz, now it never drops below 2GHz. The difference seems to be that the clock and voltage are much more stable whereas before it would jump about the boost table aggressively. Either that or Nvidia downloaded new capacitors into the drivers.

It wasn't about the capacitors in the first place. If the filtering and noise was becoming an issue (where as it wasn't on Turing etc) then it is because the core is not stable. Once again people jumped the gun in order to claim a world's first, when the real issue was nothing to do with it.

For some reason the driver itself, without any software, is boosting the cards faster than they are rated at. Quite probably to make them look better in reviews, IE let them automatically overclock and then you don't have to worry about reviewers marking them down by 10% and then adding it in with overclocking to make people think "Well I don't overclock so to me it's only going to be 20% faster". The problem though, just like with the 5600XT after launch driver is Nvidia have written cheques they can't cash. IE, not every single 3080 die out there is going to be able to do what the drivers are telling them to do without running into stability issues. And that was your problem, not capacitors or filters or anything else.

The fact is that some cores are going to need more power. 10w more it turns out, and lower boosts (they have been lowered to 1930 IIRC from 1970 odd). Quite why they are doing this when the box rated is 1710 I don't know. However what I do know is that 1900+ mhz is 10% more than 1700+ mhz. Especially in your benchmark scores ;)

It's why I have had my cards under water ever since the air coolers simply couldn't cope any more. I hated leaving that sort of performance and more wasted blowing around in a haze of hot air.

The TGP was already absolutely terrible. However, it would have sounded even more terrible with another 10w slapped onto it.

Permabanned
To add to my post a few pages back (may be more now as it is growing) it was the 7900GTX cards that the AiB did this before with, EVGA esp (seems history repeats itself), I had the AGP version Gainward 7800GS+ (Plus) and it was unaffected).

If you want a solid built card buy an FE.

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting ... never had crashing issues stock.
Are you saying its boosting a stock card over 2ghz ?
Most I have seen mine sit at is 1995 in Warzone with a 1.075v stock.
Most other games it will sit around mid 19's but does fluctuate a lot.

My Gaming X Trio boosts over 2GHz out of the box in certain scenes. Before the driver update I had to downclock it 30MHz it to stop it crashing. Now if I overclock by 30MHz in Forza and COD it doesn’t drop below 2GHz while remaining stable. Voltage limit on my card seems to be 1.081 (or 1.087 can’t remember), I saw a stream where a guy had 1.1v limit but didn’t catch what card he had.

Soldato
It's been an interesting thread but after everything it was just a driver issue, I guess everyone is happy again? *

* Maybe not the people who cancelled their orders...

Man of Honour
Seems to be the case so far. Bit early but looking good so far. Was listening to this video on the way home from work. Reassuring to me who is waiting on a 3080 Trinity. :)

There was a bit of sarcasm in my post - it was obvious to anyone who has any real level of familiarity with electronics that there was almost definitely more to the story.

I'm no EE myself but I know enough to be dangerous - I build stuff like this as a hobby:

s9KFK6i.png

So have a basic understanding of filtering and bulk cap use, etc. and could design and build a GPU's power delivery circuitry at a pinch well enough to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the new drivers did nothing for me TBH, I wasn't having issues before though.
Clocks and power draw seem more or less as was.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
There was a bit of sarcasm in my post - it was obvious to anyone who has any real level of familiarity with electronics that there was almost definitely more to the story.

I'm no EE myself but I know enough to be dangerous - I build stuff like this as a hobby:

s9KFK6i.png

So have a basic understanding of filtering and bulk cap use, etc. and could design and build a GPU's power delivery circuitry at a pinch well enough to work.

Ahh I see, I just posted quickly but have seen you post about having some understanding of electronic components recently. I wasn't in the know about the possibility of these capacitors being a problem but what made me not cancel my order and wait is that I just couldn't see all these AIB's who have been in the game a long time messing up so badly. Logic prevailed :D

I take it this is an amplifier?

Soldato
EjBmHfnX0AA6DGe

Associate
Looks like it was indeed a driver issue and some people are even reporting better FPS in games so thats a Bonus :) So might as well just forget this happened lol , I’m no expert but it looks like they are some how locking the boost speeds and not letting them move all over the place. Hence no crashes I believe. some peeps on reddit are reporting a 10% increase in FPS in games so thats pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom