• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080Ti mining performance revealed!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That's just completely untrue.

There are plenty of gamers that play games on their cards and then overnight or during work hours etc.. use it for mining for a little return. Not everyone who 'mines' has 30+ cards in some uber rig in a basement somewhere.

Besides, the limiter is for the Ethereum algorithm only.(of which I have no doubt will be bypassed in minutes anyway) so people can just swap to different cryptos in the meantime. Ethereum is going proof of stake soon too, so this whole drive against mining it is almost completely pointless.

This whole limiter thing is a publicity stunt only.. it will do little for supply (there is a silicon shortage remember) and certainly won't stop big miners buying up the cards.

It's such a waste of time, and it's sad that some people are eating it up as if they actually care about 'getting cards into the hands of gamers'

What's even worse are these so-called crypto cards. Miner's won't buy those as they'll have next to no resale value..It's so short-sighted.

Sadly.. this. You can only appreciate this when you have been on both sides of the fence. Complete farce by NVidia, if it was needed they could have done this nearly ten years ago when GPUs started to be used for mining. As its been a staple of their revenue, it cuts both ways.

Soldato
Unless you can snag an fe it’s grease up the butt time and prepare for blast off.
It'll be interesting to see if people who've already purchased a FE are allowed one of these, but I suspect not. That'll probably lead to them mostly being snapped up by scalpers. There's always people bragging on Discord after a drop about how they secured their tenth FE by using their mother's uncle's gardener's friend's details to get around the one per customer limit. Most "normal" customers won't go that far.

Associate
also (this is my personal opinion) i don't think there is silicone shortage, a few places reporting 2x numbers in gpu sales on both nvidia and ati. i strongly believe miners are the sole reason for this.
The 1000s of new cars sitting in lots without ECUs because they can't get chips disagree with you to name one example. Ford and Nissan are down $2-2.5bn because they can't get the cars out the door and that's purely because they're waiting for the chips to come in. Apple are talking about delaying their phone announcements, not to mention the issues with new TVs, consoles, etc..

The shortage is very real my friend :)

In a lot of cases the supply is 'enough' but yes, when just talking about graphics cards the demand has been hugely underestimated and that's why you literally can't get hold of them; whereas in other areas that require semiconductors you're just seeing slight delays or price hikes.

Point is, this problem is not limited to gpus. We as gamers just see it more directly and due to various factors (supply, shortage, demand, mining, etc..) we, as consumers, are being hit possibly the hardest for it in that particular area.

If it was just gpus then TSMC, samsung etc.. wouldn't be investing billions creating new production plants for demand. As much as we'd like to think so, we're just not that important. Car/phone market however.. now that's worth their attention.

Soldato
AMD cards should creep down if this continues (retailers having multiple stock units in stock for days after listing). People are waking up to £700+ for a 6700 and £1500+ for a 6800 being a rip-off and miners see this as a horrendous ROI which would take over a year maybe two to pay off.

Nvidia will be a different story as the mindshare is too strong. Cant wait for the guys who bought a 3080FE to tide them over till the Ti releases posting that they got one...

Caporegime
AMD cards should creep down if this continues (retailers having multiple stock units in stock for days after listing). People are waking up to £700+ for a 6700 and £1500+ for a 6800 being a rip-off and miners see this as a horrendous ROI which would take over a year maybe two to pay off.

Nvidia will be a different story as the mindshare is too strong. Cant wait for the guys who bought a 3080FE to tide them over till the Ti releases posting that they got one...

I'm gonna attempt a 3080ti, cant see the order going through though. If that fails possibly a 6900xt, though im really baulking at paying the current prices for one, at least with nvidia currently there is the possibility of getting a card at msrp, amd are utterly incompetent in that area upto this point.

Soldato
I'm gonna attempt a 3080ti, cant see the order going through though. If that fails possibly a 6900xt, though im really baulking at paying the current prices for one, at least with nvidia currently there is the possibility of getting a card at msrp, amd are utterly incompetent in that area upto this point.

Agree mate, I wish you luck and hope you bag an FE as they are reasonably priced! I would entertain a good brand 6800XT if it was a nice price. I cant see the 6900's dropping too much yet though, I would be tempted for the built in AIO cooler models but not at them insane listing so far.

Caporegime
Agree mate, I wish you luck and hope you bag an FE as they are reasonably priced! I would entertain a good brand 6800XT if it was a nice price. I cant see the 6900's dropping too much yet though, I would be tempted for the built in AIO cooler models but not at them insane listing so far.

The sapphire toxic is meant to be a bit crap for noise from what I've read, which is a bit baffling considering the 360mm rad on it. Supposed to have a pump that's audible and fans that are very audible.

The asus strix is meant to be better in that respect, though the whole setup looks very cobbled together with a load of cables that need tidied up.

The warranty situation is whats really putting me off, 2 years is ******** especially when you factor in the ludicrous pricing, you'd think they would at least bump it to 3/4 years, but nope. Its like pay around double the price for a card with a **** warranty and thank us for the privilege.

Ideally I'd like to snag a card direct from amd, but we all know the story there, since December whoevers meant to be in charge of the UK setup has been sitting in the corner with a Dunce cap on, one thumb in his mouth and the other up his arse.

Really galls me seeing the prices there (currently £550 for a 6800xt and £850 for a 6900xt) and seeing what we have to pay via etailers. I do love the fact that the prices on the amd site continue to be adjusted despite not being able to buy anything off them. :rolleyes:

Associate
The cheapest 3080 listed on OC is £900 ( probably shoot up if ever available ) and the cheapest 3090 is £2000 ( same again if in stock price would shoot up ) , you can bet your bottom dollar the cheapest you will be looking at an aib 3080ti is £1500 + realistically more like £2000. your only hope is to forget the aib cards and retailers who want to bend you over and hope you can snag a FE card at MSRP.

Soldato
The video release later today, will show the rrp of the 3080ti of around $1000 i reckon, but i doubt many places if any will sale them for that, if any, remember the rrp for the 3080 was like $700.

Soldato
The sapphire toxic is meant to be a bit crap for noise from what I've read, which is a bit baffling considering the 360mm rad on it. Supposed to have a pump that's audible and fans that are very audible.

The asus strix is meant to be better in that respect, though the whole setup looks very cobbled together with a load of cables that need tidied up.

The warranty situation is whats really putting me off, 2 years is ******** especially when you factor in the ludicrous pricing, you'd think they would at least bump it to 3/4 years, but nope.

I think that's spot on observation wise. I would expect the built in AIO and rad system to be pretty quiet, but Asus are renowned for their shortcuts on amd gpu's from past. The 2 year warranty sucks! I do recall my vega56 sapphire onlyhad 2 year warranty too so maybe its here to stay unfortunately :(

Back
Top Bottom