• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 - Zotac Trinity OC underwhelming ?

Associate
Hi all

I was lucky enough to be browsing at the right time and snagged a Zotac Trinity OC RTX 3090 last week.

Out of the box the performance uplift against my 2080 ti seems underwhelming, it blows my 2080 ti away on Time Spy but in games at 1440p not getting that much better FPS. Not for a £1600 card.

Stock Timespy run on the 3090 graphics test 1 got 128fps .. overclocked it +150 gpu +800mhz ram got it to 137fps which is a decent uplift.. BUT the card crashes running a game with them settings.

Over all my 2080 ti overclocked couldn't even get over 100 fps on time spy so I definitely have a faster card.

Only reason I feel this card isn't performing or maybe its my imagination is because I've read the power limit on this Zotac card is limited to 350w where as brands like Asus have nearly 400w to draw that and they're using the crappy capacitors that and buyers remorse is settling in (haha)

OC scanner on MSI afterburner gives me an error at the end saying dominant limiter - power - is this because the card cant draw enough power due to its internal limit or my psu ?

[System spec 10900k, asus tuf z490 plus gaming mobo, 32gb 3200 cl14 ram, bequiet straight power 11 850w gold.]

Associate
I went from a 2080ti to the 3090 FE and can say that the cost did not meet the expectation - its only in certain scenarios your going to see this massive uplift.

Poorly optimised games like AC Valhalla saw a 10fps increase for me lol :D

Only difference, I can crank everything up and put realtime raytracing to high/max on most things now at 1440p

Soldato
The figures for 3090's have been out there for 6mths.

Surely you could/should have done some research into whether it would have been worth throwing £1600 down on such overpriced cards?

Too many people just panic buying with a sense of FOMO clouding their thinking...IMO

Soldato
You need to be UW or 4k to see any real difference - then it's only measurable rather than a difference you'd 'feel'. You only have to look at reviews and many games there is next to no difference in FPS between a 3080 and a 3090 @ 1440p or a 6800 and 6900 AMD card.

Maybe try DLSS if your game supports it as version 2.0 can give good results - depends how well it was implemented in the game.

What is the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Associate
OP
I went from a 2080ti to the 3090 FE and can say that the cost did not meet the expectation - its only in certain scenarios your going to see this massive uplift.

Poorly optimised games like AC Valhalla saw a 10fps increase for me lol :D

Only difference, I can crank everything up and put realtime raytracing to high/max on most things now at 1440p

This exactly for me. I'm playing Valhalla at the moment and it still won't crack over 95 fps on 1440p maxed out lol.

Guess time will tell and better drivers going forward. My boss at work just saw me moaning about this card and gave me £1000 towards it to make me feel better haha.

I'll have to place some RTX titles and max thek out. I expect RTX performance to be a lot better than the 2080 ti

Associate
OP
You need to be UW or 4k to see any real difference - then it's only measurable rather than a difference you'd 'feel'. You only have to look at reviews and many games there is next to no difference in FPS between a 3080 and a 3090 @ 1440p or a 6800 and 6900 AMD card.

Maybe try DLSS if your game supports it as version 2.0 can give good results - depends how well it was implemented in the game.

What is the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Running a 240hz panel, the new Auros one

Associate
OP

Surely you could/should have done some research into whether it would have been worth throwing £1600 down on such overpriced cards?

Too many people just panic buying with a sense of FOMO clouding their thinking...IMO

I only did it because I saw my 2080 ti going on ebay for £800 and listed mine, so my upgrade cost wasn't as much as starting with no gpu at all.

Associate
it's really down to what your running - I had overwatch at 1440p cap out 240~ with a lot of ups and downs on the 2080ti to the 3090 and that locks out at 400, but I cap that 250 (fixed) at 1440p also running a 240hz monitor.

Soldato
3090 will start to stretch it's legs at higher resolutions like 4K which is what i run mine with, it's going to vary from game to game also.

Permabanned
POOP, typed a big reply and somehow close the tab, not typing it again as too lazy lol.

Basically depending on the game you will see good gains at 1440p, some game run like poop like Cyberpunk and at launch Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (got free with my 3090FE, far better after a few patches but not quite there yet.

Soldato
Surely you wont see a huge difference between one of the top range cards from last gen to this gen? Last time I upgraded was from HD7850 to a 1070 and the difference was massive.

Permabanned
You may get higher FPS going from 1080p to 1440p due to a CPU bottleneck but I doubt 4k will run faster than 1440p as it will nearly all be about the GPU.

DSR is nearly same penalty as running the actual RES so it will give you an idea.

Caporegime

That is far too much like common sense. :D

IMO buying a 3090 just for 1440p is daft to start with.

Back
Top Bottom