Rugby union?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I think it's a red, there's contact to the head and Manu's arm is down, rules are rules.

There is arguably mitigation to drop to a yellow due to North dropping in height. However, shoulder charge (torpedo) tackles on wingers going for the corner are common, so the ref was probably looking for it and Manu gave him something.

Personally I think it was a yellow. My real grumble isn't really the red card, but rather Parkes getting away with an arguably worse (because no mitigation) shoulder to Manu's head in the first half. I am a qualified coach at kids level and a qualified referee, and from my personal experience and feedback from players and coaches, inconsistent referees cause the most anger and frustration... I believe this to be true across all levels of rugby from grass roots to elite. Shared at my most recent referee course, feedback from ex-players indicates the most common reason for people giving up rugby is bad referees.

Caporegime
There is arguably mitigation to drop to a yellow due to North dropping in height. However, shoulder charge (torpedo) tackles on wingers going for the corner are common, so the ref was probably looking for it and Manu gave him something.

Personally I think it was a yellow. My real grumble isn't really the red card, but rather Parkes getting away with an arguably worse (because no mitigation) shoulder to Manu's head in the first half. I am a qualified coach at kids level and a qualified referee, and from my personal experience and feedback from players and coaches, inconsistent referees cause the most anger and frustration... I believe this to be true across all levels of rugby from grass roots to elite. Shared at my most recent referee course, feedback from ex-players indicates the most common reason for people giving up rugby is bad referees.

Totally agree. This in part is why Newcastle were relegated last season. A prime example being Simon hammersley getting sent off for chasing down a kick as it was seemed to be a deliberate knock on. No warning. No yellow. Straight red.
Another was Gonevas disallowed try against sarries in the first match of the season which would have won falcons the game. It was disallowed because the sarries players never saw the falcons kick off because they were too busy back slapping one another.

Soldato
OP
Soooooo, rugby is finally coming back into the horizon for the UK.

Grueling end of season, then start of a new one shortly after.

Some clubs with lots of movement, some with little.

To my great surprise, Wasps are thankfully one of those with very little movement, and have just announced long term extensions for 15 players, lots of them are key names too.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It's going to be interesting to see what the teams look like after so many player transfers. Saracens vs Bristol is going to be a tasty match on the opening weekend. Sarries focused on winning in Europe at this point, but wonder if they will suffer from losing several players? Have French teams also had extensive player transfers?

Soldato
OP
It's going to be interesting to see what the teams look like after so many player transfers. Saracens vs Bristol is going to be a tasty match on the opening weekend. Sarries focused on winning in Europe at this point, but wonder if they will suffer from losing several players? Have French teams also had extensive player transfers?

Would imagine that Sarries will play a lot of youngsters, they're not playing for anything in the prem right now.

The tight schedule could see some of those with smaller squads struggle by the end.

Soldato
OP
I know it's a double post, but it's been a while.

Grass roots strong rumours that we're going back with no contact. 10 aside max. So basically touch/tag. Not too much of an issue for my minis, who were going to start tackling this season, but a delay isn't the end of the world. However for seniors, I think the focus is going to have to be a big social enjoyment side, like the summer touch I did last year, otherwise front row aren't going to be having much fun.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm also hearing talk of 10 man rugby for seniors, but not heard anything about juniors yet.

Non-contact rugby... I might consider coming out of retirement!

Soldato
OP
I'm also hearing talk of 10 man rugby for seniors, but not heard anything about juniors yet.

Non-contact rugby... I might consider coming out of retirement!

If you have an opportunity in the future to go to the Summer touch that get's run at some clubs, I'd highly recommend it. There was a huge mix of ability at ours, people who'd never played rugby before etc. Brilliant fun, good workout etc.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It used to be a regular thing at our club, but didn't happen last summer (don't know why)... This summer obviously not happening...

Soldato
So, the premiership is back tomorrow, looking forward to some summer games with fast pitches! Glad there's no daft rule changes either.

Might get involved in the touch sessions at the club in the place I'm moving to, if I ever get moved. Not sure I can deal with another injury, last time I played full contact I snapped a rib in half which was absolute agony for nearly two months until it finally knitted back together.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It annoys me that everyone is talking about the new laws, when in reality the refs are only being stricter at officiating the existing laws! There has been so much discussion over the last year about the tackle being the cause of injuries (and rightly so), but I really believe this lax refereeing in recent years has more significantly increased the intensity of impacts around the breakdowns leading to more serious injuries. Not to mention the difficulties of coaching and refereeing age grade rugby, when you penalise and player and they highlight that sealing a ball in is allowed at pro level.

Soldato
OP
New interpretations is how I've mostly seen it referred to. I do agree that it's good that they're enforcing it more now though, hopefully it will continue and not drop off.

Associate
in Union, if you deliberately throw the ball forward into empty space, then one of your players runs onto it (from an onside position), can he pick it up, or is that deemed a foul?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
in Union, if you deliberately throw the ball forward into empty space, then one of your players runs onto it (from an onside position), can he pick it up, or is that deemed a foul?

It is not a "foul" because no one is offside (so a penalty would not be awared), however, you would lose possession because it is a knock-on or forward pass (play advantage to other side, or stop play for a scrum).

Back
Top Bottom