Rugby union?

Associate
I think we've just witnessed the physiological impact of terrible ref. England lost it in the last 10 minutes or so, but should never have been on the back foot in the first place. Disappointed all round really.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Jones needs to go, time to start over.

I don't think he needs to go. I think he needs to come out, live on camera, and enquire of referees what the hell England need to do differently. Because week-in-week-out they seem to be getting on the wrong side of refs by the five minute mark.

Soldato
Not time to go from my point of view either.

The team has very little game time, I'm not surprised by the mistakes. What was the quote i heard, one of the Wales 2nd row had more game time then the entire England pack :D:eek:

Question will be, why not pick some people playing more often.l? Hell, even some youngsters to give them experience.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OMG... I'm coming here after a couple of days to calm down, but I'm still frustrated... less so by the result, mainly by the officiating. OK, I'm an England fan, so I can lean towards bias, but I played for 30 years, and now I'm both a coach and a ref, so I thing I have a decent perspective on things.

10 minutes in I knew the ref was going to play England out of the game. It happens often at local club level, but you don't expect it at international level. May getting penalised for rolling on the floor... 99% of the time you get away with that. Farrell not rolling away from the tackle leading to the first try... Farrell was at the side of the ruck and the Welsh scrum-half was holding the ball, Farrell had not impeded play. One of the papers reviewed Itoje's penalties and concluded one was undeserved and the other 4 were borderline. Many offences happen during a game of rugby, and as a referee you should decide if it is consequential versus letting play flow. Arguably most of England's infringements were infringements, but it was not necessary to blow the whistle every time, especially if borderline or inconsequential.

The first try was appalling game management by the ref, and a total flashback to 2019... England v Wales, Gauzere restarts the game while England are making a HIA replacement, Biggar plays a cross kick and the winger score. Incidentally, that incident was such a shocker World Rugby made an immediate amendment to Law 3 the next working day.

I was lost for words when the second try was given. The refereeing team showed a complete knowledge lapse with regard to the laws. As a referee, common sense is typically a good guide... his first instinct was a knock-on, both Welsh players clearly looked (facial expression) like they had fluffed it. There has been a lot of debate whether it was a knock-on, with many showing a lack of understanding of the laws, but now even Gauzere has admitted it was a knock-on and that he made a mistake.

I'll admit England should have done better in the final 20 minutes, but the mental and physical effort to pull level had taken its toll, and (see above) the ref was continuing to penalise every borderline incident. Wales managed the circumstances well, though it might have been very different if it was 6-14 at half-time.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Related topic, I started using Twitter for the first time this weekend after the rugby match... what a mistake I've made. I've quickly realised that it is a place where no one admits they were wrong, and people will continue to troll you for as long as you continue to engage with them.

I posted this:

Quote from the article: "There is a loss of control, the ball goes forward, so it’s a knock on. Pascal looked at the situation on Sunday morning and he is the first to admit it."

Some dude replies, "in that article neither Jutge nor Gauzere admit any error".

I mean, wtf! So Twitter, I'm out!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
OMG... I'm coming here after a couple of days to calm down, but I'm still frustrated... less so by the result, mainly by the officiating. OK, I'm an England fan, so I can lean towards bias, but I played for 30 years, and now I'm both a coach and a ref, so I thing I have a decent perspective on things.

10 minutes in I knew the ref was going to play England out of the game. It happens often at local club level, but you don't expect it at international level. May getting penalised for rolling on the floor... 99% of the time you get away with that. Farrell not rolling away from the tackle leading to the first try... Farrell was at the side of the ruck and the Welsh scrum-half was holding the ball, Farrell had not impeded play. One of the papers reviewed Itoje's penalties and concluded one was undeserved and the other 4 were borderline. Many offences happen during a game of rugby, and as a referee you should decide if it is consequential versus letting play flow. Arguably most of England's infringements were infringements, but it was not necessary to blow the whistle every time, especially if borderline or inconsequential.

The first try was appalling game management by the ref, and a total flashback to 2019... England v Wales, Gauzere restarts the game while England are making a HIA replacement, Biggar plays a cross kick and the winger score. Incidentally, that incident was such a shocker World Rugby made an immediate amendment to Law 3 the next working day.

I was lost for words when the second try was given. The refereeing team showed a complete knowledge lapse with regard to the laws. As a referee, common sense is typically a good guide... his first instinct was a knock-on, both Welsh players clearly looked (facial expression) like they had fluffed it. There has been a lot of debate whether it was a knock-on, with many showing a lack of understanding of the laws, but now even Gauzere has admitted it was a knock-on and that he made a mistake.

I'll admit England should have done better in the final 20 minutes, but the mental and physical effort to pull level had taken its toll, and (see above) the ref was continuing to penalise every borderline incident. Wales managed the circumstances well, though it might have been very different if it was 6-14 at half-time.

Summed very well, at least to my thoughts also. Let's not blame the loss down to the bad refereeing, the game was tied in the second half and then after that Eng blew it through pap discipline.

I hate to bash other teams that win but Wales hardly had it tough - beating Ireland and Scotland because they had a man sent off. This fixture only cemented more luck (thanks to the ref) you only have to look at last year and they were only better than Italy and now people are praising them?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Summed very well, at least to my thoughts also. Let's not blame the loss down to the bad refereeing, the game was tied in the second half and then after that Eng blew it through pap discipline.

I hate to bash other teams that win but Wales hardly had it tough - beating Ireland and Scotland because they had a man sent off. This fixture only cemented more luck (thanks to the ref) you only have to look at last year and they were only better than Italy and now people are praising them?

I'm gonna call it now, Wales beat 14 man Ireland and Scotland, 16 man Wales team beat England, Wales beat Italy (no contest), and Wales beat France due to forfeit (COVID)... Wales will be Grand Slam winners via the easiest path ever.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm gonna call it now, Wales beat 14 man Ireland and Scotland, 16 man Wales team beat England, Wales beat Italy (no contest), and Wales beat France due to forfeit (COVID)... Wales will be Grand Slam winners via the easiest path ever.

Its not boding well, I thought it was a good tight year with lots of teams even (bar Italy), Scotland were flying coming into the tournament. Like you say Stu, Wales will not have won it for being 'the better team' or flare/gusto etc. but because they had an extra man every game so far lol! :)

Soldato
Credit where credit is due to Wales though. They've taken their chances rather than wasting their opportunities like England!
Will be very disapointed if the remaining France games are called off, they've been the most exciting to watch by a long way. They just seem to have an extra gear or two when it comes to playing with flair and scoring exciting tries.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
France have definitely looked the most creative and dangerous, playing heads up rugby. Scotland are showing glimpses of this style too, unfortunately they only have 3 or 4 players comfortable at that higher level.

Most of the home nations have got stuck playing patterns... England, for example, I can watch and predict what will happen next most of the time... take it in 3 phases, not made much progress, here comes the kick, yawn... whereas you never know what Dupont will do next, and he rarely makes a bad decision.

Associate
England, for example, I can watch and predict what will happen next most of the time...

This is exactly it! If Ford is on the pitch it's always going to be kicking for territory whether we're losing or not, If Robson is on the pitch it's always going to be a box kick to nowhere with no england player having the ability to catch a ball in the air these days.

Hard to say though if it's Eddie Jones out of ideas or players just being rusty... Saracens players i'm looking at you!

Back
Top Bottom