Rugged/Waterproof Camera or not?

Soldato
Trying to decide whether to risk using a non-weatherproof m4/3 camera body and lens on a beach holiday coming up soon or whether to get a rugged/waterproof one to be on the safe side and be able to capture pictures without the worry of sand or water damaging my camera body/lens.

I will still take the m4/3 with me for use when I am not around sand or water.

I've used DSLRs on the beach before and never had any issues but once I did manage to break a point and shoot camera from some sand which got caught in the lens barrel during a strong wind.

My mobile phone camera is not that great, it's a Huawei P10 lite so discount that.

Anyone have any tips for protecting a non-weather proof camera in such situations or is it best to just get a rugged one?

Soldato
The later GoPros are surprisingly competent as cameras once you turn off all the wide angle options. They won't win any awards but I'd say that they're some way ahead of most if not all phone cameras. I guess it depends on what you're looking for - fun family pics splashing around in the water and sand will be fine.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses, I've taken a look at the Go Pros and considering I only want it for pictures I think a Fuji XP120 / XP130 is better suited and it'll cost a lot less.

I'll still take my Panasonic GX80 with me for when I am not around a lot of sand or water.

Back
Top Bottom