• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour Control?

Associate
Well i'm looking to upgrade my pc over the next few weeks. So ive been borrowing all my mates PC mags to get some extra knowledge. I found an article in Custom PC singing the priases of the Opteron 144. In the article i read it said that an Opteron with the right set-up can be clocked to 2.8ghz with air. This then makes it faster than a FX-55!
Now considering the price difference of the two chips mentioned, getting an Opteron144 and overclocking it has reached the top of my to-do list.
What i'm basically asking all you guys is whether this is possible or is it somewhat exagerating the speeds.

My current set-up is:
AMD 64 3000+
ABIT Fatality AN8 SLi
XFX 6600GT 128mb
1gb Corsair XMS Ram

Im looking to change the cpu and maybe the RAM and add another 6600gt card.

All tips and advice much apreciated

Soldato
The Opteron's are basically server class CPU's (rebadged FX chips iirc??).

The Opteron 144 has a multiplier of 9X - with the right setup 2.8 is acheivable, but only if the CPU is a good one. I have an Opteron 144 and can only get 2.5ghz out of it.
It is pot luck what kind og CPU you get, some can do 2.8Ghz + on air with a small increase in volts, but it isn't all that common iirc - you'd be looking at minimum 2.6ghz if you buy one and clock it probably.

Depending on your cooling you may be able to go higher as as you up the clock speed and volts your temperatures will increase.

However a good idea would be to go for an Opteron 146 if you can find one, they have a 10X multiplier and tend to overclock better and easier than the 144's imo (I wish I'd gone for a 146)

Associate
OP
Thats great, the 146 is within my budget so think ill go for one of them.
OcUk have them listed as in stock so should be able to get one from them :)

Back
Top Bottom