Running an Extension Lead off an Extension Lead?

Soldato
Is this dangerous for just a couple of days? Im inclined to think so. Both of the extension leads are surge protected. Ive found the space of my new fish tank and have a 2m surge protected lead, but its about 50cm too short, but I want to start the pumps etc tonight as I am collecting live rock on saturday so I want the water to be heated and the salt etc mixed in. So I wanted to use another surge protected lead to extend the tank lead. Theres 4 plugs that will be running from the tank (for the time being).

Soldato
Yeesss of course it's fine.

All you want to make sure is that whatever you do run off one wall-socket doesn't draw more than 13A together.

Like, several kettles boiling lots of water at once would be pretty iffy :p

Soldato
As mentioned above check the load for everything that's going on the combined set of leads and make sure they' unwound and uncovered.

Man of Honour
When I'm out with my band you ought to see how many we have daisy chained off one 13A socket.
We will have -
6 x 500 watt PA amps
200 watt monitor amp
100 watt monitor amp
100 watt guitar amp
150 watt guitar amp
300 watt bass amp
&
2400 watts of lights

Man of Honour
I've done this for years. I have three chained together in the bedroom and two in the office. Everything plugged into them is low wattage (200W or less, mostly 50W or less), so very safe.

Permabanned
Hey Dawg, I heard you liked powering your extension lead from your extension lead, so we gave you an extension lead that can power your extension lead off your extension lead !

Soldato
Every single thing in this room is powered off one socket on various extensions, that includes:

1000w PSU PC
37" LCD HDTV
LCD Monitor x2
PS3
Xbox 360
Z-5500 5.1 Surround System
Laptop
Phone

Dunno what that comes to, but it can take a lot. You should be fine, I think the socket can provide around 3000w.

Soldato
OP
I have a 200W heater, 2x36W T5 lights and 2x 550lph pumps in there (not sure of the power) so I reckon Im going to be safe. Its only a small tank for the bedroom anyway, nothing monstrous with metal halide lighting etc.

Soldato
Hey Panthro, from your post i guess your setting up a marine tank, i'm also in the process of setting up a 3x2x2 reef, bought all my kit except live rock. What are your stock plans etc? Also, i'm a member of another reef forum that is apparently the 'ultimate', great forum for advice etc :)

Soldato
OP
Hey Panthro, from your post i guess your setting up a marine tank, i'm also in the process of setting up a 3x2x2 reef, bought all my kit except live rock. What are your stock plans etc? Also, i'm a member of another reef forum that is apparently the 'ultimate', great forum for advice etc :)

Hey, yep, just a small 100 litre nano reef for my room. Just filled it up with RO water and salt. Ive kept tropicals for years and thought it was about time I moved onto something Ive always wanted. Im keeping it basic just to get the feel of things and then maybe in a few years when I settle down and can afford it, to go for something really big.
Im getting my live rock at the weekend from someone on ultimate reef :) thats a great site for info and general reefkeeping advice, good people on there too. Im going to start of with the usual shrimp, hermits, snails etc and then add some clowns and gobies. Ive got my eye on a lemon peel as well but I want to make sure I go slow and not mess anything up :) Once its up and running I'll post some pics.

Back
Top Bottom