• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Running CCTV system using Linux/Windows 7

Associate
Hi all,

I have had a run in with some bad NVR units bought on Amazon, FLOUREON to be presice, which both died shortly (1yr) after setting it up. I was just wondering if you could shed some light on a way of setting up either a Linux based system or Windows 7 PC for use with a DVR H.264 set of cameras already located in the shop.

I want reliablity over anything, and I know that an actual PC is reliable and if it does go wrong, I can replace the parts very easily! Where as these cheap china knockoffs on Amazon are full of cheap parts which tend to go wrong, I'm even cautious of the better brands now, so PC alternative would be ideal.

I already have the machine, and I already have 2 hard drives. One for the OS and one for storage. I already have the software from the previous CCTV system that was on Windows which fed from the original CCTV NRV box... I am hopeful to put a static IP on the PC so it can pick it up the cameras and hopefully the software can pick up the cameras.

But I need a capture card of some description, a VGA to Coaxial cable perhaps and software to run it which should be okay to set up but I can't seem to find something under £50. The card would have to be PCI-E, half size to fit in the PC I need.

Any ideas on how I go about it?

In short:
  • Windows or Linux / Additional software?
  • Which Capture card - under £50 if possible and mini PCI-E
  • Will a VGA to Coax cable work with my H.264 DVR cameras?
  • Is it possible? :D

Thanks,
Kragle

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a bit confused, are these cameras IP or coaxial with a BNC connector? Is the capture card for connecting the cameras to the PC?

A few years ago I helped a family member reuse an old PC for CCTV, all I had to do was buy a PCIe DVR card which allowed about 8 BNC cameras to connect to it, and had the drivers and software provided with it.

If the cameras are IP then search up the brand of the cameras, they should offer DVR software to connect the cameras and save the footage onto the PC. You may need to know what IPs the cameras are getting as well as the port number.

Back
Top Bottom