• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 580 OR VEGA 56 For Ultra wide 1080p at current Prices

Associate
Hey folks how we all doing So basically as graphics card Prices are Currently through the roof is it worth spend the extra 100+ pounds for a Vega 56 i know its faster but assuming the Aftermarket cards are going to be around 450 pounds is it worth the extra 150 over the 580?

I Recently purchased the LG 34UC79G and couldn't be happier with it but as you can see from my Signature my computer is Over 8 years old Still Rocking DDR2 and PCI-E 2 Im looking into building a new Motherboard bundle next month for the Upcoming release of Destiny 2 on PC i want to Run everything on new to Max settings for years to come :)

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 8 Core AM4 CPU/Processor with Wraith Spire 95W cooler - Will be using the Stock cooler for now hope to go Fully Water-cooled sometime next year

Gigabyte AORUS AMD AM4 Ryzen AX370 GAMING K7 ATX Motherboard

Still Undecided on what Manufacturer of memory to go with but it will be 16gb DDR4 at as fast a speed possible probably 3466mhz If Ryzen will allow such speeds with future BIOS/UEFI updates

Samsung 500GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive - For my Windows 10 and all my games never had a SSD before and this is apparently 5 times faster than one :)

AMD VEGA RX 56 - Will be waiting for the Aftermarket cards to come out and get 1 of them so i can overclock it to its full potential seeing as Reference cards are coming in at the £367 think £400 is a good price for one of these.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - I love Windows 7 but cant use the latest Features and DX12 without 10 so will be getting this :/

^Above^ are the new parts i will be acquiring and these will be the ones im keeping from my current build

EVGA 850 G2 Been using this for the past few years has done great and still has 7 year warranty left :)

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Main drive - had this for 8 years still going strong - Western Digital Blue 1TB Back-Up drive - Had a few months just so i dont lose anything

Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Modified - Project Uprising Love this case to bits its my 3rd one due to the first 2 getting damaged and wouldn't change it for anything also had a lot of Hours of work put into Modding/Cable management plus all my Enermax T.B Apolish fans it wont be going anywhere anytime soon :)

Any Help Deciding is greatly appreciated

Soldato
If you are spending almost double of a samsung 860 evo just to get a 960 evo why are you then hesitant to just pick vega 56? If you have a budget i could see some obvious areas to save some money in that build of yours while leaving more for a GPU without sacrificing performance.

Associate
Vega 56 if your maxing settings and wanting 144fps. My old 390 couldn't push that amount of fps at non ultra wide maxed settings nevermind ultra wide and a 580 is slightly slower I believe.
Vega 56 will give you exactly what your wanting.

Caporegime
I'm not sure how long I'd expect a Vega 56 to last though, given its performance is 16 months after it was available. Already I know I couldn't buy one and get 144FPS maxed out of Mass Effect Andromeda for example.

Associate
I'm not sure how long I'd expect a Vega 56 to last though, given its performance is 16 months after it was available. Already I know I couldn't buy one and get 144FPS maxed out of Mass Effect Andromeda for example.
You'd need a 1080ti for that but 90fps ain't bad, not that I've tested that game specifically. 580 ain't touching those sort of frames.

Associate
Max details even at 1080p a 1080ti is netting you like 120frames average so you wont get close to 144 on a vega 56 let alone 580.

Associate
OP
So is the Vega Worth the extra 150 then and just because ive bought a 144hz Monitor Doesn't mean i want to get 144fps in every game a Minimum 60 FPS at Max settings will suffice I want the Computer to last for another 5+ years without Upgrading

Caporegime
Vega56 without doubt, it'll provide a lot more value for money in the long run (in combination with Freesync) :)

I'm not sure it'll last quite 5 years but it may as long as you don't expect top settings on every single title.

Soldato
You'll not see any real world improvement in games with the NVMe SSD (I have one).

If it's a gaming machine, get a sata SSD and put the difference towards the GPU.

Associate
I ran the same monitor with a rx 480 with relative ease. I was getting around 100 fps in most game on high settings with freesync helping out, so a 580 will be good. If you are not into changing gpus very often then I would opt for the vega card. Saying that, only pay for the cards that you think are worth the money.
Some of the rx 580 cards are already overpriced which maybe due to shortages so the vega card might make more sense.

I would aim for 3200mhz ram which some boards still can't reach yet with stability but it is improving with updates. Flare x is the best ram for Ryzen at the moment but is expensive.

I would get a 250gb ssd instead for the os and get 7200 rpm drives for games to which I would also split them in 1-2tb so that way if a drive goes down you won't lose too much in one go. I didn't see much benefit with my games on the ssd.

Soldato
So is the Vega Worth the extra 150 then and just because ive bought a 144hz Monitor Doesn't mean i want to get 144fps in every game a Minimum 60 FPS at Max settings will suffice I want the Computer to last for another 5+ years without Upgrading
Imo yes id say the Vega is worth the extra. Don't listen to the nonsense that it can't manage. My card is even managing 100+ fps at 1080p in most games and if it doesn't do it at ultra I just put it on high/vhigh and you can barely see a difference but the boost to fps is quite a lot. Ok maybe not 144 solid but 100 is nicer than 60. You can feel the difference.

Associate
To echo what others have said, get Vega56.

But DEFINITELY wait for the aftermarket cards. I'm not sure if it's known exactly when these are coming, but the stock cooler is complete garbage.

So don't buy a stock card unless you're going to mod it with a watercooler.

Associate
To echo what others have said, get Vega56.

But DEFINITELY wait for the aftermarket cards. I'm not sure if it's known exactly when these are coming, but the stock cooler is complete garbage.

So don't buy a stock card unless you're going to mod it with a watercooler.
Sorry but i think the stock cooler is absolutely;) fine

Associate
I had a play of the destiny 2 beta, I cant remember the exact settings but I think it was maxed apart from AA @ 3440 x 1440 and was getting about 60+FPS (upto 74FPS which is my frame rate cap) using a stock Fury-X, 2560 x 1080 is abit more than half the pixels of 3440 x 1440 and the Vega56 is slightly quicker than a Fury-X so you should get 100+ easily using max or near max settings. Worth the extra IMO.

Back
Top Bottom