• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 580 RED DEVIL Problem need Help?

Associate
Hi there Folks so Basically i purchased the above card last weekend when it was down to 300 pounds thanks again to @Gibbo for doing that for us gamers :)

So i installed it in my system on Monday and the performance is great no complaints about that although i noticed it was a little noisy though it might have been just some coil whine although since turning on my pc tonight it sounds like a Hairdryer i set the fan speed to 45% which was barely for the past few days i put it back onto Auto so fan's Off as was idling and its whisper quite but as soon as they turn on its very loud will upload a Video Tomorrow to show you's what im on about.

Also the Temperature is hitting 83c i dont have a Fan in front of my GPU atm like i normally do but still seemed a bit hot.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you on the OC or Silent Bios profile?

The OC Bios profile doesn't seem to let the GPU or Memory go anything other than default lows (300Mhz core and 2000Mhz memory) and their max, which just causes the fan to fly in accordance to the temp. I think it's to do with the Target temps being set too low in range in the AMD Radeon/Relive/Adrenalin stuff and the fan being off normally on the Red Devil below 60c, so it forces the fans to come on and then it thinks it needs to catch up in cooling and goes a lot higher.

Give the Silent Bios profile a go (flip the Bios switch on the card), and see if that helps. I've noticed that it still reaches the same max core and memory values but doesn't keep them there all the time. Subsequently the fans don't ramp all the way up all the time and appear to only increase temps by 4-5c in my case going from OC to Silent.

For reference to give you an idea on temps, etc:

120mm fan on RX 580 (this might be what's making it better controlled in my case)
OC Bios: 300Mhz Core, and 1380Mhz Core only, no in between. 2000Mhz Memory only. Fans auto. Max Temp 75c.
Silent Bios. 300Mhz Core, varies up to 1380 MHz Core. 1000Mhz to 2000Mhz Memory. Fans auto. Max Temp 79c.
VRM temps around 4-5c higher.

I've also read around the place that the RX580 was designed with safe temps of 80-90c, so in theory the Silent Bios and it's settings may be what you want to give a go.

:: edit : Forgot to give rough idea on sound ::

OC Bios: The fans are like you said, a hairdryer, although in my case with the extra cooling, it's only ever hit around 90% fan speed to keep it below 75c, and although loud, still nothing like a 7950 fan shroud at 100% loud.
Silent Bios: As the name: Silent, my H100i and Corsair 650D Case fans are louder than the RX580 at full whack.

Associate
OP
im using it on the Silent mode its gotten louder again think one of the bearing in one of the Fan's has gone because even when they just come on at 25% it sounds like the Fan is Rubbing on the Shroud dissapointed tbh unless there is a way i can under-volt the card to stay below 60c prob best just sending it back has a 3 year warranty after all?

Soldato
This sounds like a hardware issue really. I've had two Red Devil 580's and both were very quiet, the fans didn't spin unless gaming with no coil wine either. When gaming the cards fans are still almost silent, the only thing that is audible is an electrical noise in some menus when the fps in in the 100's - it's not coil wine as such.

From memory it was 65C at 30% ish fan speed during gaming - not silent but quiet in my case.

Associate
Doesn't sound right at them temps.

I have mine set to the OC bios and it never goes above 73c under full load with default fan profile.

Idles at around 50c without the fans on.

Associate
OP
yea i know guys well ive put a thread in the Technical support thread so hopefully somebody gets back to me soon im going to but having the card vertically mounted soon with a 120mm fan right in front of the card so temperatures shouldn't be a issue yea card has great performance and is almost silent when the fans are off but as soon as they come on its far to loud can hear it over whatever game im playing :(

Soldato
Anecdotal as I have a 480 8gb red devil, but mine can run 80c or just over when gaming sometimes, I asked powercolour directly and they said it's fine.

I even replaced the GPU thermal paste with kryonought as I had a bit spare, and it made no discernable difference to gpu temps, so I'm guessing they use good quality thermal paste.

That said I don't get a fan noise issue, it's silent when not gaming, and there is some fan noise when gaming but it's difficult to ascertain if that's the CPU or the gpu fans, not excessively loud but you can definitely hear them spin up a bit, if my speakers are set on a low volume as you'd expect.

Back
Top Bottom