• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 580 Seriously Underperforming

Associate
Tearing my hair out over this problem with my new Ryzen RX 580 Graphics card. It is seriously underperforming, hitting around 30-40 FPS where it should be hitting 60+. Metro Last Light dipping below 20 just walking around. Monitor running at 1080p. Fresh install of windows, latest BIOS (Got a performance bump of maybe 10 FPS by doing this, it was previously hitting around 20-30 FPS). Latest AMD drivers. 450W PSU. Ryzen 5 1500X.
Any tips? The rest of the PC is a couple months old, been running fine. Things i've noticed is a high pitch squeal coming from the card when under load, sometimes, changes with whats displayed on the screen. (Checked it is seated properly) and there is a fair old bit of screen tearing. Temperatures seem normal pretty stable, idling around room temperature, getting in to the 60's under load.
Thank you!

Associate
The squealing noise is called "coil whine" it usually occurs at high FPS on game menus etc more readily than at lower fps. Generally 60fps keeps it tame on most cards but as you've noticed some get it at basically any FPS when running in 3d mode. Coil whine doesn't affect FPS performance though.

Have you tried running a benchmark to see what FPS you get? 3D Mark "Demo" is available on steam, that'd give you access to the firestrike benchmark. Or you could download one of the unigine benchmarks, unigine valley is quite popular: https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley

If you run a known benchmark like that we can see if you have a problem in multiple games or if this is specifically a last light issue.

Soldato
When fps drops go straight into task manager and see what is using cpu, it could be something else running in the background taking up cpu.

Also in game check Gpu / cpu, temps and usage. You may have a cpu bottleneck etc. which would limit fps.

Associate
OP
It benchmarked fine on Ungines Heaven, about 2250 on ultra with AA set to x2. The issue is, that just isn't being reflected in the games i'm trying, metro, total war: atilla, total war: Rome II
CPU temp is fine too, will check CPU load but I should expect the Ryzen 5 1500X not to bottleneck this much.

Soldato
Get on screen display software and monitor CPU usage and GPU clocks whilst this is happening. Will tell you the problem pretty quickly.

Man of Honour
Corsair CP-9020049-UK VS Series ATX/EPS 80 Plus Power Supply Unit, 450w

That is most certainly contributing to the coil whine. It is the lowest series of Corsairs range and is pretty rubbish. It has poor quality internals and that model isn't even 80+ certified. It has a single 12v rail of 408w so if you are overclocking the cpu and gpu then I guess you may be getting towards the limits of that psu. Fire up some monitoring software first before pinning everything on the psu being at fault. Something like Afterburner and select the onscreen display to monitor cpu and gpu clocks and temps so that you can see if everything is working as it should. Then again if the psu is not able to supply enough power that would probably stop the clocks from boosting anyway.

Associate
OP
Right, so just a few more things to say, I've DDU's the drivers and reinstalled, didn't solve anything that's one thing off the list though. The CPU is performing fine, tested it on geekbench and looked at its clock speed and utilisation also all fine. I used HWMonitor to look at the draw from the CPU and GPU and the GPU was pulling 150w under heavy load and the CPU under 65w

Man of Honour
It benchmarked fine on Ungines Heaven, about 2250 on ultra with AA set to x2. The issue is, that just isn't being reflected in the games i'm trying, metro, total war: atilla, total war: Rome II
CPU temp is fine too, will check CPU load but I should expect the Ryzen 5 1500X not to bottleneck this much.

Those games you mentioned are notorious for flattening GPUs. Metro is total rubbish to use for benching as it does not run that well on anything.

Run Heaven 4 at 1080p using the settings in the bench thread so we can see how you card is performing against similar cards.

Associate
OP
OK so the clock is hitting the advertised 1350Mhz with memory clock 2000Mhz. Afterburner is reporting that it is drawing 140w, however, later, when it dropped to 20FPS, it was drawing around 70w with the same clock.

Associate
OP
In game, the GPU usage is dropping to like 0% and dropping off going back to drawing hardly anything, the gpu just seems to give up

Associate
OP
That is most certainly contributing to the coil whine. It is the lowest series of Corsairs range and is pretty rubbish. It has poor quality internals and that model isn't even 80+ certified. It has a single 12v rail of 408w so if you are overclocking the cpu and gpu then I guess you may be getting towards the limits of that psu. Fire up some monitoring software first before pinning everything on the psu being at fault. Something like Afterburner and select the onscreen display to monitor cpu and gpu clocks and temps so that you can see if everything is working as it should. Then again if the psu is not able to supply enough power that would probably stop the clocks from boosting anyway.

got a video of it all here https://youtu.be/ZKJvzeXS8mw

if that helps

Associate
Had the same problem with metro running on RX480. Turned out to be physx. Once I disabled that the game was running smooth.

Back
Top Bottom