• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Soldato
The issue, starting with Vega, and now firmly with Ampere cards, has always been the power spikes not the average power consumption. Plenty of extensive testing has been done, particularly by igorslab (for Vega when he was with tomshw DE; Ampere on his new site) but also many youtubers. That's why if it runs off a 550w PSU is very hit or miss.

Associate
Do you remember when everyone complained about £1000+ GPUs and the effect on the low end, and people said "its their money they can do what ever they want with it"?

We can complain all we like but we voted with our wallets and AMD and Nvidia have heard us loud and clear. If the top end shifts in price the whole product stack must follow suit to ensure "even" pricing spacing.

No surprise, the ones who took the "because I'm worth it" advertising to heart and spend way too much were always going to spoil things for everyone!

Yes, this last year genuinely has had shortages, but it really looks like both players want to largely abandon the $350 and under market. Pity there is no way to turn a PS5 or XBX into a PC, as consoles are the only thing even remotely affordable. Well relatively anyway, £400+ (ignoring the XBox Series S) is still way more than I have ever spend on a GPU.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No surprise, the ones who took the "because I'm worth it" advertising to heart and spend way too much were always going to spoil things for everyone!

Yes, this last year genuinely has had shortages, but it really looks like both players want to largely abandon the $350 and under market. Pity there is no way to turn a PS5 or XBX into a PC, as consoles are the only thing even remotely affordable. Well relatively anyway, £400+ (ignoring the XBox Series S) is still way more than I have ever spend on a GPU.

I agree, it might be a sit back and take away moment that if games were going to be excellent (due to optimisation on console hardware) that a PC alternative could be the way to go (e.g. the console killer tube videos - that type of kit/spec) if the shortages were not here, plenty of stock etc. assuming you couldnt take to consoles and had to have PC platform/flexibility.

Associate
The Steam deck could be the deal breaker, it's already known that it can be turned into a PC.
Yes, but it is a small RNDA2 APU which might perform like a GTX 1050. Anyway, the APU is not Steam Deck exclusive most probably, so is bound to show up elsewhere although only in soldered designs.

Soldato

At least the RTX3060TI FE is around RTX2060~RTX2060 Super RRP pricing($350~$400). Even the RTX3060 RRP is slightly below the RTX2060 RRP($330 vs $350),although you could argue the latter is much higher than the GXT1660 series. Neither are brilliant.However,the RX5600XT RRP was $280,so AMD is adding $100 to its RRPs. The same goes with the RX6700XT which adds $80 to the RX5700XT RRP. This is basically what you saw with the Zen3 price increases - 20% at least.

The difference is at least Zen3 is the clear performance leader,but RDNA2 isn't really. Its like if AMD priced Zen2 above its Intel competitors.

Soldato
At least the RTX3060TI FE is around RTX2060~RTX2060 Super RRP pricing($350~$400). Even the RTX3060 RRP is slightly below the RTX2060 RRP($330 vs $350),although you could argue the latter is much higher than the GXT1660 series. Neither are brilliant.However,the RX5600XT RRP was $280,so AMD is adding $100 to its RRPs. The same goes with the RX6700XT which adds $80 to the RX5700XT RRP. This is basically what you saw with the Zen3 price increases - 20% at least.

It has 12GB VRAM and would have thought its features would make it better than getting the older Tesla equivalents? With DLSS it should be useful if it was a toss up similar price between them all.

Soldato
It has 12GB VRAM and would have thought its features would make it better than getting the older Tesla equivalents? With DLSS it should be useful if it was a toss up similar price between them all.

That is the other thing the RTX3060 has extra VRAM over the RX6600XT too. The only two things that the RX6600XT has going for it are lower power consumption and better open source Linux drivers. However,with a 128 bit memory bus,AMD will have much lower memory costs than Nvidia has for the RTX3060 and RTX3060TI,and a much cheaper PCB too. The margins on the RX6600 series are probably better than for Nvidia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD just haven't got the 7nm allocation to push for more marketshare atm, hence them keeping the pricing high as they know they'll sell every single one of them.

Associate
If they wanted market share they could have just kept pushing Polaris cards, at the pre-RDNA prices they would have sold like hot cakes.
I am ashamed to say that I did manage to sell an used HD7970 for 100€, so they would have sold RX590 at MRSP by the container load...

Associate
GloFo doesnt have the capacity to make any RX 590 at all, they are full as well.

AMD must still buy a certain amount of chips per year with GloFo, it can be used for Zen3 IO but with the new generation going towards TSMC for that too it's basically almost free spare capacity.

Soldato
AMD must still buy a certain amount of chips per year with GloFo, it can be used for Zen3 IO but with the new generation going towards TSMC for that too it's basically almost free spare capacity.

I asked on level 1 techs live industry talking head chat about 6 months ago, why havent AMD restarted Polaris at GloFo to help relieve the pressure and the answer was quite nuanced ; the short version is 1) they wont look backwards , and anyway Polaris products are still available in channel if distributors want them; the same with the RTX 2060 based mining cards. Nvidia didnt make new parts, they were still available in channel. 2) GloFo doesnt have capacity as the entire wafer agreement with AMD is being used for interconnects and cpus (Zen3 Monet will be 12nmLP at GloFo as well) and will be for the next 3 years , as not everything is going 7nm *yet* especially since TSMC 7nm interconnects will part of the wafer agreement for 7nm, with the lions share going to console right now. By the time AMD have spare capacity they will be winding down at GloFo anyway

Soldato
AMD will probably end up selling one tenth as many units though. Cash grab while they can, that's business. Hope through 2022 they whole mining thing hits a minimum and products get to stand and fall on their relative merits. Increased supply of 3060/ti will help

I just hope the AMD RRP is another jebait move,otherwise if Nvidia can push significantly more RTX3060TI FE stock,and get enough RTX3060 12GB models under £350,it is going to be really dampen this launch.

Its a shame,because in isolation the RX6600XT looks fine,but sadly it's in a competitive market segment.

I barely know anyone who has bought a new AMD GPU since last year,and its primarily because they could get the Nvidia equivalents cheaper. The reality at least in the UK,the lack of AMD having a local partner to sell reference models,means minimal AMD pricing is much higher than Nvidia. I hope all for the sake of AMD,that the rumours the RX7000 series is faster than the RTX4000 series are true. If not and Nvidia pushes forward again,I think AMD is going to have a big problem because a lot of value conscientious customers who used to be with AMD,might have already shifted to Nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
I barely know anyone who has bought a new AMD GPU since last year,and its primarily because they could get the Nvidia equivalents cheaper. The reality at least in the UK,the lack of AMD having a local partner to sell reference models,means minimal AMD pricing is much higher than Nvidia. I hope all for the sake of AMD,that the rumours the RX7000 series is faster than the RTX4000 series are true. If not and Nvidia pushes forward again,I think AMD is going to have a big problem because a lot of value conscientious customers who used to be with AMD,might have already shifted to Nvidia.
Value conscious but the cheapest card is still £350+, so not as value conscious as in previous years :p
I'll stick to IGPU and my old 1GB Radeon 260X for a while yet then. Pity the Intel Ivy Bridge IGPU doesn't seem to want to know about anything higher than 1080P despite being HDMI 1.4 as I treated myself to two 1440P screens for WfH but have to run them both with the 260X which pushes up memory clocks.

Soldato
Value conscious but the cheapest card is still £350+, so not as value conscious as in previous years :p
I'll stick to IGPU and my old 1GB Radeon 260X for a while yet then. Pity the Intel Ivy Bridge IGPU doesn't seem to want to know about anything higher than 1080P despite being HDMI 1.4 as I treated myself to two 1440P screens for WfH but have to run them both with the 260X which pushes up memory clocks.

Well in the sense,I have seen RTX3060 12GB GPUS for around £300 on the Rainforest website,and you can get laptops and prebuilt systems with an RTX3060 for under £1000(seen laptops for as low as £850~£900 with a decent CPU). Laptops and destkops with RTX2060 or GTX1660/GTX1660TI for under £900. Then the fact you can still get a GTX1050TI or GTX1650 for around £150~£200,which is not ideal but AMD is totally absent from that price range too.

If Nvidia then flood the market with RTX3060/RTX3060TI GPUs closer to RRP,then what does AMD have to offer over them?? I mean the RX6600 possibly might be a nice GPU too,but what if AMD prices it at $329?? AMD,more than Nvidia has forgotten the sub $300 market exists - at least Nvidia has both DIY offferings,and plenty of OEM systems you can still get with dGPUs in cheaper price points.

Soldato

Correct. I was being naïve in thinking I could snatch a 6800XT on launch. Even after the lead GPU guy was playing it up on social media that they would have stock at launch.. so ended up on nvidia this round. No point in any brand loyalty these days.

Associate
Correct. I was being naïve in thinking I could snatch a 6800XT on launch. Even after the lead GPU guy was playing it up on social media that they would have stock at launch.. so ended up on nvidia this round. No point in any brand loyalty these days.
I agree that there is no point in brand loyalty. Get the best on offer at the price you can afford or best performance to price that suits your needs. I have had ati/amd nvidia intel products and have had pros and cons from all of them over the years. A brand doesnt make it the best, its the product itself

Back
Top Bottom