• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 7900XT, 15,360 cores, MCM, Tapeout Q4

Soldato
WzhU37e.jpg

Add the Jaws music..Da Dum Da Dum Da Da Da Da....

PSU makers will love this soon, especially with most people still using 10 year old PSUs that still work great and have been enough threw their many upgrades.

This generation has started to show PSUs need upgrading for most as the power spikes trip the OCP on many PSUs even if they have enough wattage, next generation the PSU will just say enough is enough and add another £250+ to your GPU upgrade purchase.

Associate
The current mining boom has increased demand for high wattage supplies, so PSU manufacturers probably have slight dilemma at the moment: invest in producing more high wattage supplies in terms of design, tooling etc. with the suspicion by the time they are ready demand will have collapsed when mining once again turns from boom to bust.

Could crazy $3000 GPUs come to their rescue? Maybe even though I suspect the market for $3000 GPUs is small, some buyers like to get carried away and buy 1000W supplies for their 400W rigs.

Associate
I was saying this earlier in the thread but people kinda laughed it off, the power use on these new cards is going to be silly, the 7900x design shown says its going to be about a 630w card even on 5nm, so they will have to drop its power use to levels that will be more normal and by doing that of course it will reduce performance. They expect everyone soon to have a 1200w PSU for single GPU, but of course for the spikes that will mean a 1500w-1600w PSU :cry:, we have yet to know what next gen cpus will use too. Soon a 2KW heater in your room, I mean PC.. :rolleyes:.
Yep, I was thinking about the power spikes as well, possibly 700-800w.

Cue the posts on here - "Will my 550/650w PSU run a..... it's a good make." :p

Soldato
Bumhug will know better but i think the spikes are due to the boost clocks, i don’t expect the 7900XT to be as wild on the reference card due to the power reqs.

Associate
You can go out and buy a kettle that uses the whole 3kW of a 13 amp plug.

A kettle is usually put in the kitchen where the wiring is actually thicker and it uses peak power for a few minutes.
I run 6KW at home with a dedicated 16A line for air conditioning, however many older apartments have bedrooms/living rooms not equipped for anything much more powerful than a TV.

This forum has a concentration of people that are seemingly of above average income (which of course is normal for a gaming hardware enthusiast audience) but the mass market is a bit more varied than that.
The very own place where I live couldn't keep up with a 650W PC very well in the bedroom, so much that I had to plug in an UPS to make sure it wouldn't fry the PSU (and I lost a few APC UPS to save my PCs) before renovating it.

Soldato
Saw someone do some interesting power related tests for AMD GPUs. They've really come a long way! I wonder how much lower that number will be for RDNA 3.

scS4P3e.png
fL1i8QU.png

Caporegime
Saw someone do some interesting power related tests for AMD GPUs. They've really come a long way! I wonder how much lower that number will be for RDNA 3.

scS4P3e.png
fL1i8QU.png

Helps when they make a gaming card and not a card pulling double duty so a lot of the compute stuff not for gaming could get stripped out.

Soldato
A kettle is usually put in the kitchen where the wiring is actually thicker and it uses peak power for a few minutes.

Generally the only cable that is thicker in a domestic kitchen is for the cooker/hob. (In UK)

Plug sockets are on the same ring main as the rest of the floor. Upstairs has a separate ring main normally.

Back
Top Bottom