Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Associate
OP
Heya,

All the reviews are being re done into the newer format. I'm also going to rethink the scores as some of them I've been a little too nice. In terms of splitting them up I may do I'll see. See how this goes I guess. Ah man it's a shame you are all the way in Florida! Really need to try the PM1.

Everything is so expensive now! Also all my fav companies keep changing the sound of there products. I purchased some brand new HD650's recently with the newer black box, wtf were they thinking! The lushness wasn't present, they sound more like the HD600 with a slightly deeper bass. Why do they do this! Pfft they are going back, I wanted smooth not more technically capable! Lol the new HD650's sounded technically a bit better though but the HD650 have been about magic. I'll see if it's just this pair.

Soldato
Have they changed the HD650, or is it because they are new and haven't been burned in yet? Unless you don't subscribe to the whole 'burning in' idea.

Associate
OP
Don't believe in the burn in fairies, at least any that make a huge difference. A headphone is not going to turn into a really lush one from burn in. The sound you hear out of the box is pretty much the headphone and after some head time bass may sound less loose etc.

These don't sound bad, just not classic HD650. These are more like an improved HD650 technically but they loose the lush sound they normally have. Treble is more extended and bass sounds tighter. I don't like it. I bought them because I wanted a HD650 in warranty for relaxing listening. Instead I got a more balanced headphone, I have the Annie that does that better so it's disappointing that they have possibly tweaked the sound.

I'm going to try get a grey box pair because they still seem to have the lush sound. I've heard from a couple of headfiers that their old 650's needed new pads and new foams and when they got them the sound wasn't the same so maybe it's just material change. It's pretty simple to change the sound it's basically a treble increase and a mid bass decrease, this makes the mids less focused and makes the sound more stretched out or leaner/detailed.

Last edited:
Associate
That's disappointing to hear Ryan, 650s were on my list of potential cans if I get some money together.
As you said, it's strange that they've changed the sound and not just left them alone.

Soldato
Trying not to grin as I pat my trusty (and oh so lush) sliver/grey box HD650s :D

Seriously though, you'd think they would know better than to mess with such a successful formula.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can understand companies wanting to make their products technically better but the whole point was to have the HD600 be the more reference phone and 650 the more fun one.

They have changed the 650 three times now. The first one was dreamy, literally like listening through mush! Loved it haha the second one which rids will have is lush but a tiny bit more upper presence giving them a bit more detail, similar warmth to my Annie. Now this black box one is too reference sounding for me, it's not cold or anything just close to neutral.

Man, the old HD650 had amazing mids, better than the LCD-2 IMO but people found it too coloured or overly warm.

Soldato
Yeah, the original HD650 was the one that some people claimed as being veiled but they sorted that when they introduced new drivers but they seem to have tinkered a bit too much with the latest iteration.

Associate
Sennheiser have already done it once with the HD650 and AKG do it all the time.

Indeed, Sennheiser has a track record of changing driver revisions quietly. Smaller niche companies like HiFiMan are even worse. I had to get my HE-400 repaired twice and each time they came back with a different set of drivers (I believe there are 4 revisions).

Most of the time driver revisions are usually done to improve consistency, reliability, and reduce cost. Rarely is it done to improve certain aspects of the sound.

Associate
OP
Haha :)

The Q701 is close to neutral with a bit better detail. The HD600 is a bit slower, more pleasant sounding. Vocals sound nicer on the 600 but bass extension is a bit better on the Q701. With the bass port you get slightly better presence but it is subtle.

Soldato
If you had the chance to do a straight swap?

Would you?

I find the Q701 so good in CSGO though :(

So much to hear, just need to familiarise myself with the maps.

Back
Top Bottom