Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Associate
Where can I find a review of Dt770 as I cant find it in this thread? I don't know if I missed or what but I cant see it. Also What kind of portable amp will be ideal for DT770 pro 80ohm?

maj

maj

Soldato
Think they are all getting re-written as individual threads rather than combined into one post. There are reviews out there already to give you a basic idea of what to expect. For their price they are one of the best out there.

Man of Honour
That comment about the old 650s is also pretty much exactly why I love my 600s... listening to a trance remix of the game of thrones intro with the 600s + AD8066 at the moment and the slow decay and "unhurridness" of the sound to use your previous comment on the subject is just gorgeous.

Associate
OP
If you never heard the HD650 then I doubt many will complain. The lack of warmth and smoothess is easily apparent though. I'd call them in between so pretty much neutral, more reference sounding than before.

There maybe some normals still lingering in warehouses but I've order three to see if it was just my pair but it seems they all have this change. I hooked them up to my tube amp with very warm mullard tubes, the warmth is usually sufficating but they still have that slightly edgie tonality at times. Compared to my HE-500 they sounded even more grainy.

I've heard the TH500RP is like the HD650 in a different body so I'd love to try those.

Associate
OP
More soundwise than price. Sadly the TH500RP seems to lack sub bass :mad:

The LCD-2 is now the LCD2F which also has lost it's magic. The HE-500 is now the harsher and less lush and dry HE-560.

The PM-1 is left but even Oppo want to move away from that type of sound. TH500RP is the only one left last standing with that type of glossy thick lush sound.

Soldato
I just don't understand why they all keep ruining the sound characteristics of very popular headphones. I can only assume that they don't take any notice of customer feedback from places like Head-fi.

Associate
OP
I think the whole warm and lush thing is less popular now. People seem to want more detail and clarity and extention up top rather than rolled off and mellow. Looking at head-fi the last few years people seem to complain a lot more about lushness. I can see where they are coming from but some of us want to get lost in our music and not hear everything!

Associate
I have the feeling that the Audioquest Nighthawk might fill the void for a warm, easy going mid fi headphone.

@Ryan, I actually did get to try the TH500's last weekend. The sound was...disappointing to put it politely. Not a very linear response from mid bass - upper mid range.

On a semi-related note, I was talking to the owner of Highend Headphones last weekend and he mentioned kind of off hand that Fostex is discontinuing the TH600. Something to do with not being able to source certain components.

Back
Top Bottom