Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Soldato
Nah, the HD650s are going nowhere. I'm actually enjoying the sound of the K702s more and more lately, the removal of the port stickers adds a nice bit of grunt to the bass and I add another 3db via the MusicBee Equaliser. The peaks are smoothed over somewhat by gently rolling off the highs via the EQ and the overall result is much, much better than the original sound.

I guess if I was to upgrade I would be looking at upgrading the AKGs, something that would give me great detail, good, tight bass - maybe the K712 would fit the bill or maybe I should just get the gel pads for the K702, I don't know :D

Associate
OP
You may be a good candidate for the Annie or K7XX. I heard the K7XX as the smoothest sounding; it took me a while to pick out the differences.

The K712, Annie and K7XX all go pretty low for dynanamic headphones. The HD650 always has that place in a collection but our inner "Audiophile" will always want something technically better ti compliment the lush HD650.

You would enjoy the HE-500 I think. It has really lush thick mids with excellent bass with a great treble. Shame it got discontinued but the HE-400i will serve as a cheaper alternative. I still really want to try the TH500RP just something tells me I'd love their mids.

Associate
OP
The mids sounded too dried out for my taste. I like linear mids with good extension. I do like mid bass that gently breezes over the mids but the JVC just sounded too over the top and unnatural to me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't use EQ. I never see the point. If I want a headphone to sound a certain way I'd just by a headphone that does it.

I just found these really mediocre. I think the Nad Viso HP50 which is cheaper absolutely slays it in every area.

Associate
OP
Yeah had both. The classics were gorgeous sounding headphones with a thick sound. They are very relaxing and warm. These are one of my fav headphones ever in terms of toneality. The Focal Professional is also excellent, it's more reference sounding, more extension at both ends but less of a mid bass hump. Both are similar but both sound different enough to be different flavors.

I sold both as although the comfort didn't bother me in the first month or so..really agitated my ear piercings.

If you don't mind spending a little extra I really recommend the Shure 1540. It is just so comfortable and great sounding.

Associate
Have you heard the akg 240 mk ii?

I really do like the way they sound just a lovely sparkle.

Apparently they used to be popular in studios?

They used to cost around 100 quid now they are in the region of 60-70 quid

Just sounds like a proper headphone designed for you know what.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have. I found them V shaped with an explosive kind of sound. They are a decent headphone in the V shaped category. I prefer the cheaper Shure SRH1540 personally; it has a better balanced with a warm sound.

Back
Top Bottom