• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2400G delid

Associate
Hi all,

I'm planning to delid my Ryzen 2400G in order to overclock the CPU and iGPU whilst still using the stock wraith stealth cooler in the in-win chopin case.

I'll be using the "der8auer delid die mate 2" plus the AMD adapter kit.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-hs-003-dr.html

I've been following this guide by Der8auer himself:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb4NmeONqY
But I can't see any guidance on whether I need to ensure the APU's golden triangle aligns with the tool's triangle indicator. Der8auer didn't seem to bother aligning the triangles, and it doesn't look like it would matter. Just wanted to check to make sure.

Many thanks.

Soldato
I have no idea, however skim through the first page of this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-delidded,5475.html

Although it covers how Tom's delidded their 2400G with a razor blade, pay close attention to the orientation of the chip and where the break in the silicone seal is, i.e. where there is a weak spot. Now look at how that break aligns with the direction and operation of the Die Mate 2.

It is possible that the Die Mat 2 will apply its initial force to the weak point of that silicone seal to get the ball rolling, or it's entirely coincidental - you shouldn't need a specific force direction for a square package.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Agreed, the force direction doesn't appear to matter on the square shaped CPU. I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive. Will update once I've bitten the bullet and delidded the 2400G.

Soldato
I had an inwin chopin system with a 2400G. Remember you will face a PSU limit for overclocking anyway, so you wont be able to max it out.

I found the best set up was underclocking the CPU to 3.0 to 3.2ghz using <1.00v and then overclocking the GPU to 1600mhz with a 1.2v SOC voltage. Even with 3200mhz RAM the GPU is ridiculously bottnecked by the memory.

Maxing both the cpu and gpu results in a power usage which is risky for a 150W PSU.

With the clocks above, cooling isn't a problem with a wraith stealth.

I would only delid for the sake of trying it out rather than expecting a benefit.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wanted to get some basic overclocking testing done before delidding the CPU. Unfortunately my motherboard (ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac, BIOS version 3.20) has been giving me a massive headache, and I have not been able to get any over/underclocking done whatsover. Not sure if it's the right place, but I posted my motherboard problems in the ASRock support thread here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32698386

I've also been in contact with ASRock technical support via email over the past week, but so far not received any solution from ASRock.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wanted to get some basic overclocking testing done before delidding the CPU. Unfortunately my motherboard (ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac, BIOS version 3.20) has been giving me a massive headache, and I have not been able to get any over/underclocking done whatsover. Not sure if it's the right place, but I posted my motherboard problems in the ASRock support thread here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32698386

I've also been in contact with ASRock technical support via email over the past week, but so far not received any solution from ASRock.

Did you do it? How'd you get on, if you did?

Associate
OP
Did you do it? How'd you get on, if you did?

I eventually managed to settle the overclock settings.

If I overclock my iGPU and leave the CPU on auto, the motherboard applies insane auto CPU Vcore of over 1.47V. In order to counter this, a negative offset needs to be applied to CPU Vcore to correct the sky high auto setting.

When manually changing CPU settings, it turns out that my BIOS doesn't allow underclocking this CPU, which I originally wanted to temporarily do to try and max out the RAM and iGPU overclocks first. So instead I had to set a mild CPU overclock as a temporary step to then mess with the RAM and iGPU overclocks. My overclock is now stable.

Next step will be to delid, but not had the time to tackle this yet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I finally got the chance to delid the R5 2400G. The SMDs are really close to the original glue, but was OK in the end. Applied liquid metal and temps under load are approx 5°C to 8°C cooler vs original TIM.

Re-sealing the IHS was a little challenging due to the Ryzen CPUs having pins on the underside of the CPU. I ended up holding it in place in the socket and attaching the cooler without any thermal paste to give the sealant time to set.

Overall, quite pleased with the result. Would definitely do it again if using this CPU with a measly cooler in a small case.

Associate
OP
That's shows and are doing a good job. My 6700k dropped 18c underload

Yeah, I thought I'd get a bit more of a benefit considering the original TIM was rather dry. But I still got a noticeable improvement nonetheless.

The stock wraith stealth cooler, however, is really quite pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom