• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3600 vs 5600 for World of Warcraft

Associate
Hi, I'm building a pc to play world of warcraft. Is there really any point in getting a Ryzen 5600 rather than the Ryzen 3600 which seems to be significantly cheaper?
Cheers,
Dub

Soldato
If the money saved by going with a 3600 over a 5600X goes towards a better GPU then that will usually win assuming you're not already getting an RTX 3080.

Associate
Im running on a 3600 with a 2070 super. Running on 3440x1440 and get 120fps. I am thinking of upgrading to 3800x but I do not need to for WoW

Soldato
i think you will benefit from a faster CPU especially if you participate in big raid groups or world boss kills. the amount of stuff going on esp when there are lots of players doing their spells and procs will cause lag. there is the server lag which is expected during raid time as everyone tends to raid at the same time so lots of demand on the servers. but also player lags which your end.

if you only do RP or do dungeons or mystic then there is no point as you will never enter those thresholds.

avoid the servers where those famour steamers are on...over crowded

Associate
I’ve currently got a 3600 and have a 3070FE on the way. I’m debating whether to see if I can get the 6800XT today or keep the 3070 and upgrade my CPU to the 5600x primarily for MSFS. Choices choices.

Soldato
Currently playing wow on my g4560 pentium with an RX590 :o

Have bought a b550m board, have been waiting too long to either pick up a 5600x or a well priced used 3600/3700x/or even 3900x to drop in.

Associate
I think I will upgrade my 3600 and 2070 super in the future but when the new tech is readily available. With my setup, I only get drops in Boralus (For the Alliance) and that's from 120fps to 90 fps, which is nothing really to complain about. I did notice when I updated my bios, my ram ran at 2933mhz and I did notice drops more, running at 3200mhz CAS14 really helps

Associate
hi - I wanted to play at 144 as I read that is a great experience. Have never actually had a chance to try it though.

I had a 3600 and now have a 5800X cpu so can compare both for gaming (the 5800X is broadly similar in gaming performance to the 5600X)

My monitor is 1440p 165hz and my graphics card a 5700XT.

Speaking from personal experience the 3600 was fine at this resolution, in most of my games FPS were between 100 and 120.

The 5800X feels smoother and offers a small FPS gain, which is particularly noticeable in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

If you are gaming at 4K just get the 3600 and use the difference in price to get a better graphics card. At 1440P you will notice a difference between the two - its debatable if it's one worth paying the extra for however, especially for WOW.

If you are playing 1080P with a high refresh rate monitor I would lean toward the 5600X.

Soldato
hi - I wanted to play at 144 as I read that is a great experience. Have never actually had a chance to try it though.
It is, however you have to realise that there is no GPU/CPU combo currently on the market that is going to run the game maxed out at 144 FPS in all situations so you need to know that going in, open world questing and some PVP you will get a silky smooth 144 ish but in cities expect it to drop towards 100 and in raids, big PVP or even world bosses you will be dropping well into the double figures unless you scale back some of the settings.

Having said that, we are talking about a game that didn't even get support for >60 FPS until a few years ago, where players used to consider 25 FPS to be silky smooth. So yeah 144 is a great experience just don't be too sad if you see that framerate nosedive in hectic situations.

Associate
OP
It is, however you have to realise that there is no GPU/CPU combo currently on the market that is going to run the game maxed out at 144 FPS in all situations so you need to know that going in, open world questing and some PVP you will get a silky smooth 144 ish but in cities expect it to drop towards 100 and in raids, big PVP or even world bosses you will be dropping well into the double figures unless you scale back some of the settings.

Having said that, we are talking about a game that didn't even get support for >60 FPS until a few years ago, where players used to consider 25 FPS to be silky smooth. So yeah 144 is a great experience just don't be too sad if you see that framerate nosedive in hectic situations.

Thanks for sharing this great feedback :) My expectations are limited and as you say, anything is going to be better than what I have now. I want to see my sweet star falls twinkling as they fall lol.

Associate
OP
I had a 3600 and now have a 5800X cpu so can compare both for gaming (the 5800X is broadly similar in gaming performance to the 5600X)

My monitor is 1440p 165hz and my graphics card a 5700XT.

Speaking from personal experience the 3600 was fine at this resolution, in most of my games FPS were between 100 and 120.

The 5800X feels smoother and offers a small FPS gain, which is particularly noticeable in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

If you are gaming at 4K just get the 3600 and use the difference in price to get a better graphics card. At 1440P you will notice a difference between the two - its debatable if it's one worth paying the extra for however, especially for WOW.

If you are playing 1080P with a high refresh rate monitor I would lean toward the 5600X.

thanks VERY much. I'm in the 1080p high refresh camp (well I want to be). I will look for 5600x to become available. The wait is killing me with the game launching in a few days and my stupid Mac laptop keyboard is giving me RSI :)

Back
Top Bottom