• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3600, x470i, constant crashing at boot up

Associate
GPU: gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC(8GB)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-i (latest bios version 3004, for ryzen 3000 support)

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz (and later 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz)

PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro, installed yesterday so assumed newest build but PC no longer booting so cannot check.

GPU Drivers: Latest that nvidia geforce experience picked out - also can't check version as windows isn't booting

Chipset Drivers: I'm fairly sure it's x470 chipset drivers from AMD's website 2.04.28.626 - however I cannot remember now if the chipset drivers I installed should have had a previous version installed beforehand as a baseline. Could be an issue.

Description of Original Problem: PC build yesterday. Everything worked absolutely fine for a few hours. I hadn't yet enabled DOCP to get my maximum ram speeds, but the system was performing well. Then it mysteriously crashed while I was just browsing the web with discord open. After that it would boot, and then crash at various times (sometimes windows logo, sometimes windows login screen, sometimes desktop). I did some googling and tried a few things, eventually I found that disabling PBO allowed my PC to boot again! Then I tried playing Apex Legends and the crashing returned. At this point I only managed to boot into windows by applying a manual overclock - normally something like 3.8GHz at 1.3V. The system would crash whenever I tried to run cinebench (r20) to test stability. I never got DOCP to work so my ram was always running at 2133MHz instead of 2400MhHZ (whenever I enabled DOCP the PC wouldn't even make it into windows). This morning I tried a few things but never even got into windows.

Another possibly related problem, the "New CPU installed!" message is showing after every boot - even after reseating the cpu

**Troubleshooting:**

1. clear CMOS
2. PBO on/off, as this originally fixed it - but no longer does the trick
3. reseat CPU and cooler (ensuring cooler was quite loose - thermals fine in bios, but not too tight)
4. manual overclocks of CPU at 3.6GHz, 3.8Ghz, 3.9Ghz, 4.0Ghz. Voltages varying from 1.3V to 1.4V. Occasionally I would get lucky and the PC would boot (I succeeded in cinebench once at 3.8GHz 1.3V but then it crashed in a subsequent game of apex)
5. DOCP on/off and attempting manual ram overclocking to get it to run at 2400MHz
6. I forgot to reseat ram until now, I just chucked in a kit of 16GB 3200MHz stuff I had for another build (tested and working). This hasn't helped
7. SMT off
8. Global c-state control disabled
9. Custom P0 p-state to match stock settings
10. PCI mode to gen3 rather than auto

Thanks everyone!

Associate
Try getting a new CMOS battery (worth a try, they aren't expensive), it might be bad, particularly if you are getting that new cpu installed message on every boot.

Back
Top Bottom