• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
Anyone got the 3900x on a Asus ROG Strix B550-F? I have update my bios to latest and its running 3800x no issue currently

I have the WiFi edition of that board with a 3900x and all fine. As per Yaayuh!'s response I would be amazed if you could tell any real difference between the 3800x and 3900x for gaming at the moment, though.

Associate
I have the WiFi edition of that board with a 3900x and all fine. As per Yaayuh!'s response I would be amazed if you could tell any real difference between the 3800x and 3900x for gaming at the moment, though.
Its one of those will i regret not doing it for little money. but if i will notice no difference at all perhaps not worth it ?

Soldato
Its one of those will i regret not doing it for little money. but if i will notice no difference at all perhaps not worth it ?

Remember that the next-gen of Ryzen is coming and will run on the B550 platform. I'd save the £100 now and consider upgrading to a next-gen chip in the not so distant future if you still have the itch.

Associate
Hi guys, just wondering which power plan is best for this CPU? Balanced or Max Performance? Also what do you set your CPU min / max state to in relation to the fan? I think by default min is 99% and max is 100%. Thanks!

youl get better idle temps making your own plan, i tried all the plans out there and had issues with random spikes all over, then i used this and now my idles are perfect! nothing to loose trying it since you make it yourself :)

Associate
hi guys, i have two boxed ryzen 7 3700x and ryzen 9 3900x cpus.

which one should i use and keep? I'm not a gamer. i maybe play a bit of gaming twice a week.
i mainly use my system to work in my ebay store, watch youtube videos and do some videos encoding.

my current intel i7 8700k configuration:
2070 super
NH-D15S cpu cooler, also compatible with AM4 cpu.
2x8gb 3600mhz corsair ram
corsair 650 modular psu
nzxt h510 elite case

Last edited:
Soldato
hi guys, i have two boxed ryzen 7 3700x and ryzen 9 3900x cpus.

which one should i use and keep? I'm not a gamer. i maybe play a bit of gaming twice a week.
i mainly use my system to work in my ebay store, watch youtube videos and do some videos encoding.

my current intel i7 8700k configuration:
2070 super
NH-D15S cpu cooler, also compatible with AM4 cpu.
2x8gb 3600mhz corsair ram
corsair 650 modular psu
nzxt h510 elite case

Is the video encoding hardware accelerated through the GPU? If it is, you might not notice much of a difference between the two. I don't think there's any real difference for gaming at the moment.

Man of Honour
Do people with a 3900x just install it and let everything run at default in bios or do people turn on PBO / game boost?

I would avoid PBO, it really does very little.

Set a power plan - 1usmus powerplan is a decent one to use
Set XMP for memory
Leave voltages on Auto

That'll get you up and running and you can leave it at that if you want.

The 'sweetspot' would be 1800infinity fabric /1800 memory clock ( make sure they run as equal ) with C16 memory timings if possible, but not vital.

3900X performance depends on the silicon lottery is very temp sensitive so dont compare like for like, you'll be close enough even with an average chip.

If you want to tinker with settings, have a read back in this thread, loads of usefull suggestions for tweaking.

Associate
I would avoid PBO, it really does very little.

Set a power plan - 1usmus powerplan is a decent one to use
Set XMP for memory
Leave voltages on Auto

That'll get you up and running and you can leave it at that if you want.

The 'sweetspot' would be 1800infinity fabric /1800 memory clock ( make sure they run as equal ) with C16 memory timings if possible, but not vital.

3900X performance depends on the silicon lottery is very temp sensitive so dont compare like for like, you'll be close enough even with an average chip.

If you want to tinker with settings, have a read back in this thread, loads of usefull suggestions for tweaking.

my mate said something about game boost turning that on in bios ?

The cpu then do i need to touch anything in bios at all to achieve the boost speeds what ever they may be on my cpu?

Associate
dEMwNf.jpg
Cheers for all the help ... . . .

got it set up when I got in from work set ram to 3600mhz left the 3900x alone in bios didn’t change anything.

Associate
I have been gifted a 3900XT. Had no real plans to upgrade from my existing 3600X, as the performance is plenty, but getting tempted. The 3900XT does not come with a cooler, so wondering if I can get away with pairing it with the regular wraith prism cooler (for which I have a spare from another build). My question is for those of you running their 3900X`s with the stock Wraith cooler, how are you finding CPU temperature, manageable, or does it get toasty? Also with regards to noise, does it get noisy trying to keep a 3900X cool?
I`m not really looking to overclock the CPU, just the ram at 3600/1800, would be nice for the 3900XT to hit the advertised 4.7 boost when required, providing the cooler allows it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have been gifted a 3900XT. Had no real plans to upgrade from my existing 3600X, as the performance is plenty, but getting tempted. The 3900XT does not come with a cooler, so wondering if I can get away with pairing it with the regular wraith prism cooler (for which I have a spare from another build). My question is for those of you running their 3900X`s with the stock Wraith cooler, how are you finding CPU temperature, manageable, or does it get toasty? Also with regards to noise, does it get noisy trying to keep a 3900X cool?
I`m not really looking to overclock the CPU, just the ram at 3600/1800, would be nice for the 3900XT to hit the advertised 4.7 boost when required, providing the cooler allows it.
Yes, it'll work fine with the Wraith Prism. For better temperatures and performance though, I'd recommend an AIO like the 360MM Arctic II.

I used a Wraith Prism with a 3900X and a 3950X for a while.

Soldato
Hi guys wondering if someone could advise: been using 3900x with the stock prism cooler and I've noticed the fan ramps up and down. Having done some digging it seems the max power state by default is a 100% and min is 99%. I've read lowering the MAX state to 99% will stop the fan ramping up and down however I've also read by doing that the CPU won't boost correctly. Any advice what these settings should be? For info I'm using the AMD "balanced" power plan. Any help would be great! :)

Back
Top Bottom