• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
Isn't running a manual overclock better for the cpu, temp wise. If I leave every thing on auto/default I reach 68 to 70 degrees on the cpu when gaming. When manual oc to 4.25 ghz its 58 to 60 degrees. Don't know why people use default or PBO.

Associate
Get a software to control the fans. Fan Control works very well. All 35% + power saver plan when not gaming/rendering and 75% all fans + high performance when gaming/rendering..
Alternatively you can set that in all (most?) bioses.

Caporegime
Isn't running a manual overclock better for the cpu, temp wise. If I leave every thing on auto/default I reach 68 to 70 degrees on the cpu when gaming. When manual oc to 4.25 ghz its 58 to 60 degrees. Don't know why people use default or PBO.

You lose quite a bit of single threaded performance doing that.

You have to be careful that you're actually getting 4.25ghz all core performance as if you set the volts low performance drops on Zen 2 even if the clocks look stable.

Soldato
Any suggestions what to set them to? Clueless with this sort of thing! Using MSI BIOS.
Flat line the fans until 50c.

Then ramp up from there to 100% at the 75c mark.

This should typically stop the fans ramping when you open chrome lol. Assumption here is your room temp is kinda average.

Associate
You lose quite a bit of single threaded performance doing that.

You have to be careful that you're actually getting 4.25ghz all core performance as if you set the volts low performance drops on Zen 2 even if the clocks look stable.

OH really? How to test that I don't lose any performance. The clocks stay 4.25 ghz and my volts is set to 1.25. When gaming I see those volts sometimes drop down to 1.16 or something. Cinebench r20 score looks fine at 9899.

Associate
OH really? How to test that I don't lose any performance. The clocks stay 4.25 ghz and my volts is set to 1.25. When gaming I see those volts sometimes drop down to 1.16 or something. Cinebench r20 score looks fine at 9899.

Cinebench 15 and 20, cpuZ, superpi.. all of them will test singlecore.. but, 9899 with a 3900x? that seems to be a score os a 3950X or TR.

Caporegime

9899 isn't a 3900X score. Just over 8000 is about as high as a 3900X will achieve without subzero cooling.

You want to test using multithreaded tests looking for performance degradation due to too low voltage. R20 is fine.

You can use R20s single threaded test to get an idea of how much single core performance you're loosing with your all core clocks.

Associate
9899 isn't a 3900X score. Just over 8000 is about as high as a 3900X will achieve without subzero cooling.

You want to test using multithreaded tests looking for performance degradation due to too low voltage. R20 is fine.

You can use R20s single threaded test to get an idea of how much single core performance you're loosing with your all core clocks.
I am sorry about this. Didn't realized it was a 3900x thread. I have the 3950x.

But all consider, wil PBO in games Realy boost the frequency to 4.6 4.7 ghz, games like battlefield ? And if it does, how much fps gain will I see? Because PBO is really using high voltage and cpu temps. I don't know if it is smart to use it for those very quick boost of cpu frequency.

Soldato
Hi yeah room temp is average I'm guessing just to adjust CPU fan only in BIOS? Cheers
Good point. Yeah only do that for CPU, then flat line all other fans so your case fans don't ramp up based on the temp probes they may be linked to. Dependant on board this might already be the case.

Basically flat line to your liking sound wise.

Soldato
Ok not sure if I'm being thick here but I've set the CPU fan curve in the BIOS at the following:

IMG-5298.jpg

But the fan is still ramping up and down in windows, it appears the power plan settings are overriding it? Something I'm missing here lol

IMG-5299.jpg

Soldato
I found a nice YT channel yesterday called Benchmark that has a video with the 3600X, 3700X and 3900X paired with a 3080 RTX. It's a simple and clean video, deffo worth a sub imo.

I have a 3900X and it has loads of leg room, slighly less on the 3700X but the 3600X is working hard but still maintaining similar FPS.

Soldato
Ok not sure if I'm being thick here but I've set the CPU fan curve in the BIOS at the following:

But the fan is still ramping up and down in windows, it appears the power plan settings are overriding it? Something I'm missing here lol

Hmm. That's an odd graph. Is there an option to change the mode so you can actually have temp on one axis and rpm on another axis. That graph is a nonsense advertisment graph of perhaps some default mode?

Soldato
Windows might be able to override if you have some fan control sofrware installed. Uninstall all that personally :) that is a personal preference though, but they will conflict so pick on or the other.

Soldato
I don't have anything else installed. What should the processor states above be set to? Only thing I've got is corsair icue but that's just for LED fans.
I'd have to check later, but tbh I don't think that should make jack difference to the fan profile.

The graph has no X axis? So reading it the rpm increases as the temp does. No other options?

Soldato
056-A6-B91-CFD4-4288-9-C95-7267-BB9669-BF.jpg

This is full image. It appears to me that the power plan settings are ramping the fan up and down. So if I change max setting to 99% it stops but then my CPU won't boost properly. Driving me insane. Seems to he overriding those settings in BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom