• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
056-A6-B91-CFD4-4288-9-C95-7267-BB9669-BF.jpg

This is full image. It appears to me that the power plan settings are ramping the fan up and down. So if I change max setting to 99% it stops but then my CPU won't boost properly. Driving me insane. Seems to he overriding those settings in BIOS.
I feel like I'm not seeing the obvious here.

That graph clearly shows rpm increasing as temp does. Have you change those gradient points at all? How do you flat line rpm until a certain temp ? That's the problem. Forget windows for the mo, unless the bios can't do this? Which is mad...it must be able to.

I'm intrigued now.

Sorry I can't be much help. I'm now just frustrated. Lol

Associate
@Spikey Your name is quite fitting :) I just got a 3950x and experienced the same thing, fans ramping up and down even at idle. The cause is the brief temp spikes these CPUs have even at idle-low load. You need to adjust the fan curve so it doesn't ramp up until the temp rises above these spikes like when it's under heavy load. Increasing the fan step up time will help as well. You just need to get a feel for the idle temp range and adjust the fan curve/step up time to account for the temp spikes. Monitor the temps with HWiNFO64 and that will give you an idea of the range you need to target on the fan curve.

Also some RGB control software isn't very good and has high CPU usage making these temp spikes worse so check it's CPU usage or uninstall it and see if the spikes reduce.

What also helped reduce these spikes without losing performance is the 1usmus Custom Power Plan. Adjust the BIOS settings in that link as well. I've got the X570 Tomahawk too and couldn't find the "AMD Cool'n'Quiet" option so ignor that one, I think the "Global C-state Control" does the same thing.

Don't adjust the power state, it's a workaround for the problem at the expense of reducing performance.

Even on a D15 I get these spikes, if you've got a less capable cooler I imagine the spikes would be more extreme.
With the system idle it bounces between 27 - 38C. Opening an explorer window it spikes even higher and skipping through a video in my video editing software the spikes go up into the 50s. My fan curve is flat untill 50C, rises up to max fan speed at 60C and step up time is 0.2s. This way the fans don't ramp up even on the brief spikes into the 50s but as soon as I start a heavy load they ramp straight up.

sXz22wfT_o.jpg

Soldato
The above looks good. On the right you see two gradient points with the same rpm %

But why not just have X and y axis. I'm sure it made sense to the guy who designed it lol

Soldato
@Spikey Your name is quite fitting :) I just got a 3950x and experienced the same thing, fans ramping up and down even at idle. The cause is the brief temp spikes these CPUs have even at idle-low load. You need to adjust the fan curve so it doesn't ramp up until the temp rises above these spikes like when it's under heavy load. Increasing the fan step up time will help as well. You just need to get a feel for the idle temp range and adjust the fan curve/step up time to account for the temp spikes. Monitor the temps with HWiNFO64 and that will give you an idea of the range you need to target on the fan curve.

Also some RGB control software isn't very good and has high CPU usage making these temp spikes worse so check it's CPU usage or uninstall it and see if the spikes reduce.

What also helped reduce these spikes without losing performance is the 1usmus Custom Power Plan. Adjust the BIOS settings in that link as well. I've got the X570 Tomahawk too and couldn't find the "AMD Cool'n'Quiet" option so ignor that one, I think the "Global C-state Control" does the same thing.

Don't adjust the power state, it's a workaround for the problem at the expense of reducing performance.

Even on a D15 I get these spikes, if you've got a less capable cooler I imagine the spikes would be more extreme.
With the system idle it bounces between 27 - 38C. Opening an explorer window it spikes even higher and skipping through a video in my video editing software the spikes go up into the 50s. My fan curve is flat untill 50C, rises up to max fan speed at 60C and step up time is 0.2s. This way the fans don't ramp up even on the brief spikes into the 50s but as soon as I start a heavy load they ramp straight up.

sXz22wfT_o.jpg

Thanks I'll give that a go. On that custom plan what are the power settings min and max state %? I've just done a full format of my PC as I was getting a few issues and to mainly rule out a conflict, fan is still ramping up and down.

I was planning on a new CPU cooler anyway and was thinking of the Corsair H100i RGB, guessing I wouldn't have these issues with that as I can control it in my icue settings?

EDIT; should Global C-state Be auto or enabled anyway? Mine is set to auto.

Associate
The above looks good. On the right you see two gradient points with the same rpm %

But why not just have X and y axis. I'm sure it made sense to the guy who designed it lol
Like this? :)

gpGtYmgg_o.jpg

That's what it changes to while you drag the points on the graph around.. I know, don't know what they were thinking with this fan section. It could definatley be a lot more intuitive and user friendly. The option to input the values with the keyboard would be a lot faster and easyer than shuffleing the points on the graph around with the mouse as well. It's my only complain with this board so far but at least all the control you need is there once you've figured out what's what.

Associate
Thanks I'll give that a go. On that custom plan what are the power settings min and max state %? I've just done a full format of my PC as I was getting a few issues and to mainly rule out a conflict, fan is still ramping up and down.

I was planning on a new CPU cooler anyway and was thinking of the Corsair H100i RGB, guessing I wouldn't have these issues with that as I can control it in my icue settings?

EDIT; should Global C-state Be auto or enabled anyway? Mine is set to auto.
99 and 100 but that's irrelevent really. There are a lot more tweaked paramaters in these custom power plans than you can see in the windows settings.

The stock fan curve could be better but with how these CPUs behave now there's only so much they can do, you just have to tweak it manually. There should be no need to replace your cooling, whatever you use these temp spikes will still happen it's just the way the CPUs work but some cooling will be better at soaking them up more quickly than others. I've read water can shift the heat more quickly but your still going to have to tweak the fan curve to your setup and preference. I'd honestly get your current cooling working as you want it first before throwing any money at it.

Yep set Global C-state to enabled, auto just means the board can either enable or disable it. If you specifically want it on off you need to select enabled or disabled. For me the plan didn't make any difference until I changed those BIOS options from auto to enabled. BTW "PPC Adjustment" was another one I couldn't find as well. It says in the aritcle not to worry about it if it's not there. Here's a screenshot of my settings as per the article

HEFoCug7_o.jpg

Soldato
99 and 100 but that's irrelevent really. There are a lot more tweaked paramaters in these custom power plans than you can see in the windows settings.

The stock fan curve could be better but with how these CPUs behave now there's only so much they can do, you just have to tweak it manually. There should be no need to replace your cooling, whatever you use these temp spikes will still happen it's just the way the CPUs work but some cooling will be better at soaking them up more quickly than others. I've read water can shift the heat more quickly but your still going to have to tweak the fan curve to your setup and preference. I'd honestly get your current cooling working as you want it first before throwing any money at it.

Yep set Global C-state to enabled, auto just means the board can either enable or disable it. If you specifically want it on off you need to select enabled or disabled. For me the plan didn't make any difference until I changed those BIOS options from auto to enabled. BTW "PPC Adjustment" was another one I couldn't find as well. It says in the aritcle not to worry about it if it's not there. Here's a screenshot of my settings as per the article

HEFoCug7_o.jpg

Thanks mate, so just to confirm I'll have to use that custom profile you mentioned? I guess I can't use the above settings with the ryzen balanced power option?

Soldato
Like this? :)

gpGtYmgg_o.jpg

That's what it changes to while you drag the points on the graph around.. I know, don't know what they were thinking with this fan section. It could definatley be a lot more intuitive and user friendly. The option to input the values with the keyboard would be a lot faster and easyer than shuffleing the points on the graph around with the mouse as well. It's my only complain with this board so far but at least all the control you need is there once you've figured out what's what.
I get it now. Mental. I have a gigabyte myself, seems a bit more normal lol.

Still once you know, and the feature is there, that's all that counts.

I bet the guy/gall who designed it is a right laugh at a party.

Soldato
So I've followed the above and installed the plan (selected the balanced version) and adjusted the BIOS but still getting the large spikes. So if I reduced fan speed to less than 100% in BIOS will that drop performance? I'm just using the AMD Prism cooler.

Associate
You should still be able to tame the stock cooler but then it depends on how big the spikes are and if you've got anything running that's causing them. Or if your fan curve is still not setup right. Did you adjust the step up time as well? Without knowing your idle temp range and seeing your fan settings it's hard to suggest anything else.

Associate
I know it's probably the worst time to pick one of these up, what with the new ones just to be announced but my 8.5 year old Z77 / 3770K finally died on me a week or so back and needed a working PC.
Picked up the CPU for £390 + a free copy of AC:V and put it in a Aorus Pro with some 8Pack memory.

Not got around to a fresh Win10 install yet but planning to - figured I'd just use this install while playing with settings etc, so if I trash the install I'm not too bothered.
For now just installed the chipset drivers etc and cleaned up old devices from device manager.
Had to re-use my old Corsair 850W PSU and only have the 8pin power plugged in for now.
Not sure if I need the 4pin as well? Would need to dig out the PSU cables and see if I have one.

I've had a quick skim read through this thread and think I've picked up most things to tweak, so just wanted to post some initial scores to see how it compares/what people think.
Using the safe settings from DRAM Calc for now, going to run on these for a bit and then try the fast settings, may possibly also try bumping the inf fabric and mem speed but not sure if it's worth it or not?

All test where run one after the other, no reboots in between with HWiNFO running in the background.
Then ran Prime95 for around 20mins at the end and screened grabbed HWiNFO at the end with p95 running, so it should show the whole min/max range from across all these tests.

I think from reading this thread all is looking decent?
Any thing pop out to anyone?
Any tips/tricks not in this thread I may have missed or need to know?

Thanks.

LCCbpct.png

4wAbDZH.png

Associate
I'm only just over 7000 points on R20! Seem to remember hitting 7400 early on but must have changed something...

I only boost to 4600 on one core also.

Associate
Yes, that looks very decent and certainly better than mine.

I'm only just over 7000 points on R20! Seem to remember hitting 7400 early on but must have changed something...

I only boost to 4600 on one core also.

Thanks for the confirmations that all is looking ok.

TBH I think it's probably the memory and DRAM Calc settings putting me up there.

Not sure if I did something wrong first time around but booting and testing with just XMP enabled on the mem, the difference between that and then putting in the Calc settings manually gave me a huge boost to scores all-round, lower timings and lower ram voltage. :O

~30 GB/s to ~50 GB/s R/W in the calcs memtest.
~128 GFlops to ~141 GFlops in IBT standard test.
~+24% in CPU scores in Time Spy and Fire Strike tests.

Seems like crazy numbers just tweaking a few memory timings!
Makes you wonder why something like - though a safer version - is not built into the BIOS for it's auto settings?

Happy to share/compare any settings etc.

Thanks.

Associate
Ok, so i may be having to replace my 3mo 3900X cpu, had to RMA my motherboard last week, but received an email from OC today saying they coudln’t find anything wrong with it, and they’re sending it back to me. So if I STILL get a WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR when i try to reinstall windows, then the cpu i have is most likely defunct (unless OC didn’t test all the drive ports, and i cant see how they wouldn’t), but that also means I’ll have to replace the thermal paste that’s on my AIO cooler.

So my question is, which would be the best thermal paste for me to use? And how much should i use?

Associate

Did you have a go with CTR? I read that it is basically automated undervolting / all core OC tool. Therefore you lose single thread performance....

I do a lot of VR sim racing, including RaceRoom and Assetto Corsa, so single thread performance is important for me.

Will likely upgrade to 5900x if leaks/rumours are realised - may wait for a while though...

Back
Top Bottom